AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
View attachment 202160 View attachment 202161 Hello all,

After spending days trying to add a backup camera to our 2014 Tradesman I’m at my wits end. Not sure if this is an AlphaOBD issue or a hardware/wiring/radio issue. Others on the forum have said the lack of sound/volume control on my RA2 was an issue with the unit itself.
I was hoping I could at least turn on the OEM backup camera and get a *small* amount of satisfaction from this project that seems to be an overall failure. But no, after twice turning on and off the listed items(minus trailer hitch - didn’t see that one) in AlphaOBD I’m getting the same message - “camera system unavailable”. Sometimes this message comes up after a very brief flash to a blue screen with “check your surroundings”.

Is this an AlphaOBD issue or a hardware/wiring/radio issue?

I’m about ready to pull out the whole OEM kit and offer it in the for sale section - this has been a PITA.

I messed up the other post I was trying to tag this one

anyway did you install a complete camera kit or did you just buy the jumper harnesses

One other question is the radio out of a 2018 I know you have a 2014 and there’s a glitch with the RA to if you try to use a 2018 or 19 radio

If you have a 18 or 19 radio I’ve got a 14 radio with the 5 inch screen hit me up we’ll work something out

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey I got a question
So I was doing some setting changes with alpha
The truck originally had the 7 inch cluster and a 5 inch radio we updated to the 8.4 inch radio
Neither before or now did the Settings option show up in the cluster it’s a 2014 eco-diesel does anybody know how to turn this on
The setting show up in the radio but not in the cluster everything is functioning

ECUConfig 4-IPC Feature Configuration
is on
I know 2013 clusters won't show the menu even if it's set. I think a quick way to tell is if your cluster doesn't display tenths of a mile then the settings menu will also be absent (which means it's an early refresh 7" cluster).

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I bet you’re right The truck was made on the second month of 2014
But it was an eco-diesel so those clusters are probably slightly older as I don’t go through them as fast
I’ve got a 15 eco-diesel cluster in my personal pick up I might switch them and see if the menu shows up

rampower2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello to you in ram land. I just put on a set of mirrors that has the puddle light and turn light on my truck it is a 2012 ram 1500 S T is this something that I can activate by using a Alfa o b d or would this be a trip to the dealer I have the port for the plug to go.

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hello to you in ram land. I just put on a set of mirrors that has the puddle light and turn light on my truck it is a 2012 ram 1500 S T is this something that I can activate by using a Alfa o b d or would this be a trip to the dealer I have the port for the plug to go.

Just got my OBDlink mx in the mail today. Hooked it up, and was able to turn my tow mirror turn signals on, and the puddle lamps. I had a hard time finding the setting for the puddle lamp. It was under vehicle configuration 2: door lamp configuration.

Did one at a time, key cycled. Worked instantly. My tow mirror are the trail ridge purchased from 1aauto. I bought them last June. Unfortunately, my passenger side turn signal doesn't work properly. Going to have to file a claim. In addition, both have moisture inside the turn signal lense.

Looking forward to seeing what other things I can accomplish. I'd really like to switch out the manual HVAC for a single zone ATC. Has anyone done this successfully?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

there’s a separate thread for 2006 through 2012
It’s tag back on page 1

Last edited:

Escotch

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the Shared BCM configs link of the first post in this thread, there is a 2014 (and a couple 2016) Express with rear camera enabled....maybe check that doc out and compare to your settings?

Thanks Chris - somehow I had missed that section of the first post. I've accessed that doc and am comparing it to my settings. I tried uploading to Google Drive a fresh log from AlphaOBD, but it seems like I'm doing something wrong. It has two logs in the document, but both are timestamped from 2 days ago. At the very bottom it shows some of the car configuration changes I made that day.

I'm going to go back out to the truck and see if I can figure out how to get an upload that has today's timestamp on it.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Thanks Chris - somehow I had missed that section of the first post. I've accessed that doc and am comparing it to my settings. I tried uploading to Google Drive a fresh log from AlphaOBD, but it seems like I'm doing something wrong. It has two logs in the document, but both are timestamped from 2 days ago. At the very bottom it shows some of the car configuration changes I made that day.

I'm going to go back out to the truck and see if I can figure out how to get an upload that has today's timestamp on it.

While connected to the bcm click the battery icon and let the bcm data load then try and upload

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

Escotch

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I've gone through the two logs side by side and the only significant difference I could find was Trailer Selected CSM, Trailer Name CSM, and Trailer Type CSM. Mine was set to "no" and the 2014 sample one on the drive was set to yes. Does this have anything to do with backup camera?

While I was running through the log, I came across info on the Intelligent Battery Sensor - it said the battery was at 16% and limit for start capability was 7 mins. This seems way low to me - can anyone confirm this with their report? I've also read that a low battery can trip up these RA2 units - so maybe that is causing the no volume control condition. I remember my Ford Transit Connect used to do really weird stuff when the battery was due for a replacement.

I messed up the other post I was trying to tag this one

anyway did you install a complete camera kit or did you just buy the jumper harnesses

One other question is the radio out of a 2018 I know you have a 2014 and there’s a glitch with the RA to if you try to use a 2018 or 19 radio

If you have a 18 or 19 radio I’ve got a 14 radio with the 5 inch screen hit me up we’ll work something out

I installed the complete mopar kit. I was swapping a 2016 RA2 into a 2014.

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So you ran the wires all the way to the back of the radio from the back of the truck
And you pinned it into 31 32 33

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Does anybody know what I need to activate so that the automatic dimming on off will show up in the radio I mean it works I But I don’t know how to get it to show up on the radio so you can turn on and off Dimming

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Does anybody know what I need to activate so that the automatic dimming on off will show up in the radio I mean it works I But I don’t know how to get it to show up on the radio so you can turn on and off Dimming

It should be a standard setting in the radio. I don't remember exactly where it is.

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

dracman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 black out edition
Engine
hemi 5.7
still cant get the mileage on the 7' evic engine and idal hours done first try also just noticed that when i try to set mileage that my trip obometer goes back to zero.been trying to fix is since last summer.going to put old evic back in when i put my leather wheel on next week .to see what that reads and if it can change

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hey all, seriously thinking to taking the plunge here. Mostly to add remote start and some LED lighting. I am aware of the security bypass requirement for my '18.

Couple of questions,
Is the radio security code the same as the computer changing code?

Is the MX still the interface of choice?

Is AlphaOBD tied to one device. For example, if I put it on my phone and decide to upgrade the phone, then what?

Thanks in advance, take care

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Couple of questions,
Is the radio security code the same as the computer changing code?

Is the MX still the interface of choice?

Is AlphaOBD tied to one device. For example, if I put it on my phone and decide to upgrade the phone, then what?
The security code from the radio is a different one from the code needed for making changes to the RF Hub.
Other OBD adapters will work but the MX/MX+ is recommended by the app developer and several other OBD reader apps. Some people have reported issues using other adapters
AlfaOBD is linked to your GMail account that you buy it under, when you change phone you just redownload it.

cwendel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Mx+ is the way to go. Let's you access everything according to the app developer.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
using Tapatalk

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
The security code from the radio is a different one from the code needed for making changes to the RF Hub.
Other OBD adapters will work but the MX/MX+ is recommended by the app developer and several other OBD reader apps. Some people have reported issues using other adapters
AlfaOBD is linked to your GMail account that you buy it under, when you change phone you just redownload it.

Mx+ is the way to go. Let's you access everything according to the app developer.

The MX+ is now $40 more than the MX. If you do not have an iPhone, or do not intend to get any iPhone OBD apps (alfaOBD doesn’t work with iPhone), then there is absolutely no reason to get the MX+ to use with AlfaOBD.

Thank you all for the info! I had seen earlier that the MX+ was only $10 but now $50 and since I am not an apple'er, the MX is it.

During the last oil change, I went to parts and asked about the code and got the deer in the headlight look. Then the convo changed over to the radio security code. Probably going to have some fun getting that.

And one final question (for now haha), I have a tablet and phone on the GMail acct, can it be put on both. I realize that any logs may not be shared( sync'd).

Thanks again and hoping that everyone is staying safe.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thank you all for the info! I had seen earlier that the MX+ was only $10 but now $50 and since I am not an apple'er, the MX is it.

During the last oil change, I went to parts and asked about the code and got the deer in the headlight look. Then the convo changed over to the radio security code. Probably going to have some fun getting that.

And one final question (for now haha), I have a tablet and phone on the GMail acct, can it be put on both. I realize that any logs may not be shared( sync'd).

Thanks again and hoping that everyone is staying safe.
If you use the same Gmail account it can be put on both. The Android App is tied to the Gmail account that purchased it.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Cesar592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Anyone know what happened to the VTA anti-theft system, it seems that it is no longer in the known list

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The auto dim rear view mirror icon should be in your apps screen. Is that the one you are referring too? If you don't have it you can set it with the Alfa tool under Vehicle Config#3. Also you need the 8.4 radio in order for it to show on the radio. It won't show on the RA1 or RA2 radios. 00ce7eeeb4e86c38387f74b99a416b71.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
463cdd9d81d8e9e7ccb90e3105461218.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357