AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shugarrckbx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all, a question, hopefully someone may have a answer, 2014 ram 1500 w/ ra4 nav radio with back up camera, back up camera works great, but grid lines have disappeared, they are set for on in the radio, and I checked the Bcm of the truck with alfa and they are enabled. Are the grid lines generated by the back up camera itself? Meaning the camera could be malfunctioning? Any advice is most appreciated!

shopman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's the only difference I've seen anyone mention, I had the driver's door open.

-K
I had my doors shut and I got this Screenshot_20210520-175018.png

Any help I would like to get My pin

tobyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Diesel
Hi Folks,

I could do with some help getting my high beams to come on as DRLs. I've got a new-to-me 2015 Limited with the EcoDiesel.

I've been using AlphaOBD and have managed to get the lows and alternatively the turn signals to work as DRLs, but I cannot get the highs to play along. I think part of my problem as that as I find various settings described in these forums it's often unclear which headlights they're for.

So I have these headlights, see attached. Are these "factory projectors"?

These are the settings I have made:

CBC Features: DRL Configuration
> Select Value: “Optional DRL”

CBC Features: DRL Lamp location
> (several to choose from, high beam, low beam, fog lamp, dedicated and SRT Light Bar) Known working high beam, low beam, turn signal and fog lamp.
I have tried low beam and turn signals with success, high beams did not work for me.

CBC Features: DRL Dropout Enabled
> Select “yes”
I started by setting this to "yes" but then read a subsequent post that said I want this as "no" for high beams; regardless, it doesn't seem to make a difference for me.

ECUConfig 3: DRL Customer Setting Option Present
> Select “yes”

Cust.Set.Menu 1: Daytime running lights CSM Present
> Select “yes”

(I got these settings from here.)

Now, I keep seeing reference to post #7079 in this thread that has some different options, and I'm not sure what I should do with them as I don't know if they relate to my headlights:
CBC I/O right dedicated DRL lamp output present> yes
CBC I/O left dedicated DRL lamp output present > yes
LED dedicated DRL present> yes

I couldn't even find exactly those, the best I could get was:
CBC Config I/O Usage: Left Dedicated DRL/High Beam Usage and
CBC Config I/O Usage: Right DRL/High Beam Usage
(Note the slightly different wording difference between the two). Anyway, the options in them are not yes or no, they're:
  • Left/Right DRL,
  • Headlamp Leveling,
  • M156 High Beam Left/Right,
  • Truck High Beam Shutter.
So these don't seem like they're it?

I also read about settings where people set their high beams to 50% voltage, but I see nothing about that in the settings I've found. Not even sure if I need it.

I've tried the Canadian option as someone said that's high beams at 50% but then I still needed to set the location and nothing doing there as lows and turns worked but highs didn't.

So this is where I am stuck. Anyone know how I can get the high beams on as DRLs?

Cheers,
Toby.

PXL_20210527_210512396 (Large).jpg

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hi Folks,

I could do with some help getting my high beams to come on as DRLs. I've got a new-to-me 2015 Limited with the EcoDiesel.

I've been using AlphaOBD and have managed to get the lows and alternatively the turn signals to work as DRLs, but I cannot get the highs to play along. I think part of my problem as that as I find various settings described in these forums it's often unclear which headlights they're for.

So I have these headlights, see attached. Are these "factory projectors"?

These are the settings I have made:

CBC Features: DRL Configuration
> Select Value: “Optional DRL”

CBC Features: DRL Lamp location
> (several to choose from, high beam, low beam, fog lamp, dedicated and SRT Light Bar) Known working high beam, low beam, turn signal and fog lamp.
I have tried low beam and turn signals with success, high beams did not work for me.

CBC Features: DRL Dropout Enabled
> Select “yes”
I started by setting this to "yes" but then read a subsequent post that said I want this as "no" for high beams; regardless, it doesn't seem to make a difference for me.

ECUConfig 3: DRL Customer Setting Option Present
> Select “yes”

Cust.Set.Menu 1: Daytime running lights CSM Present
> Select “yes”

(I got these settings from here.)

Now, I keep seeing reference to post #7079 in this thread that has some different options, and I'm not sure what I should do with them as I don't know if they relate to my headlights:

I couldn't even find exactly those, the best I could get was:
CBC Config I/O Usage: Left Dedicated DRL/High Beam Usage and
CBC Config I/O Usage: Right DRL/High Beam Usage
(Note the slightly different wording difference between the two). Anyway, the options in them are not yes or no, they're:
  • Left/Right DRL,
  • Headlamp Leveling,
  • M156 High Beam Left/Right,
  • Truck High Beam Shutter.
So these don't seem like they're it?

I also read about settings where people set their high beams to 50% voltage, but I see nothing about that in the settings I've found. Not even sure if I need it.

I've tried the Canadian option as someone said that's high beams at 50% but then I still needed to set the location and nothing doing there as lows and turns worked but highs didn't.

So this is where I am stuck. Anyone know how I can get the high beams on as DRLs?

Cheers,
Toby.

View attachment 248827

Those are factory projectors and the High Beam setting for DRLs simply does not work with them. I worked with the author of AlphaOBD on the issue several years ago and he was unable to come up with a solution, something in the truck's programing simply won't allow it. It's not the lights themselves, as those who had non-projectors from the factory and are running them with adaptors, it works for.

-K

tobyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Diesel
Those are factory projectors and the High Beam setting for DRLs simply does not work with them. I worked with the author of AlphaOBD on the issue several years ago and he was unable to come up with a solution, something in the truck's programing simply won't allow it. It's not the lights themselves, as those who had non-projectors from the factory and are running them with adaptors, it works for.

Ah no kidding! Well, at least it wasn't something I was doing wrong ;-)

I've seen the Alpharex aftermarket headlights and those are pretty sexy, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost just for DRLs. But if one of these headlights somehow broke...

So, seeing as I only have lows or turn signals available to me, can anyone chime in on which is more effective / bright at a distance? In my garage the turn signals are super bright but possibly just because they're spilling light everywhere. The lows are maybe more focused and thus brighter at a distance?

Cheers,
Toby.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

I've seen the Alpharex aftermarket headlights and those are pretty sexy, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost just for DRLs. But if one of these headlights somehow broke...

So, seeing as I only have lows or turn signals available to me, can anyone chime in on which is more effective / bright at a distance? In my garage the turn signals are super bright but possibly just because they're spilling light everywhere. The lows are maybe more focused and thus brighter at a distance?

Cheers,
Toby.

Well, I don't have any scientific data on the subject, but on Canadian trucks, which require DRLs by law, the ones with factory projectors use the turn signal option.

-K

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
can anyone chime in on which is more effective / bright at a distance? In my garage the turn signals are super bright but possibly just because they're spilling light everywhere. The lows are maybe more focused and thus brighter at a distance?
If you want bright DRLs use the fog light option and to make them super bright use 9006 LED headlight bulbs in them.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Cheers,
Toby.

Well, I don't have any scientific data on the subject, but on Canadian trucks, which require DRLs by law, the ones with factory projectors use the turn signal option.

-K

Just to add to this, the factory projectors do have a dedicated DRL wire/feed at each light that runs the DRL Strip in the turn signals.

Here's info for the factory projector setup with DRL from jimmy07 post 7079
(linked in known working codes list in the op)...

These are what your settings should be that have to do with DRLs (Factory projectors):
DRL configuration >optional
DRL lamp location > dedicated
DRL dropout enabled > yes
ECUConfig 3 DRL customer setting enable> yes
CustSetMenu 1 daytime running lights CSM> yes

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

Last edited:

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good evening all.

I had been using a Nexus 7 tablet running Android 6.0.1, which served me well 2019-20. I recently brought out the tablet again to make some changes, but found that AlfaOBD is is no longer available in the playstore (for update/download).

I still have the app on the tablet and it operates as I'd expect w/o having it connected to my truck.

The app version I have is 2.1.9.8

Looking to add heated/vented/memory seat functions to the truck/radio sift keys, should this still work for me, or advice on a replacement tablet? Thanks.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Good evening all.

I had been using a Nexus 7 tablet running Android 6.0.1, which served me well 2019-20. I recently brought out the tablet again to make some changes, but found that AlfaOBD is is no longer available in the playstore (for update/download).

I still have the app on the tablet and it operates as I'd expect w/o having it connected to my truck.

The app version I have is 2.1.9.8

Looking to add heated/vented/memory seat functions to the truck/radio sift keys, should this still work for me, or advice on a replacement tablet? Thanks.

It's still there for me. Maybe check again?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AlfaOBD.AlfaOBD

If you still can't see it, contact Alexey.

NOTE: if your Android device is not in the list of compatible devices on Google Play and you cannot install or upgrade your installation please contact [email protected].

-K

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

FUS88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi there,

Been looking around for a while, but didn't find what I was looking for.
Is there a way to get both low beam and high beam on when I pull the lever for flash to pass?
That is on projector headlight in 2014 ram 1500.
The way it is now is only the high beam gets turned on and the low beam is not.
Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is there a way to get both low beam and high beam on when I pull the lever for flash to pass?
That is on projector headlight in 2014 ram 1500.
The way it is now is only the high beam gets turned on and the low beam is not.
Did this truck come from the factory with projectors? I thought the factory projectors did turn on the high beams with the lows which also drop the cut off shield.
Only trucks that have the dual style headlights (H13 bulb) drop out the lows that I know of.

tobyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Diesel
That is on projector headlight in 2014 ram 1500. The way it is now is only the high beam gets turned on and the low beam is not. Thanks

I have a 2015 Limited with factory projectors, and mine uses both bulbs (low and high beams) when I pull the lever back to temporarily flash my high beams. (I know this because I just had a mirror set up in the garage to figure out my DRLs, haha.)

tobyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Diesel
Just to add to this, the factory projectors do have a dedicated DRL wire/feed at each light that runs the DRL Strip in the turn signals.

Here's info for the factory projector setup with DRL from jimmy07 post 7079
(linked in known working codes list in the op)...

So do I need an additional wiring harness or something to makes these strips work? I have seen something to that effect in the forum but am not sure what light setup it's for, or for what end goal.

Or is this just the same end result as choosing Turn Signals in AOBD to use as DRLs? (Which is what I am running now.)

Or does this make the turn signal LEDs run white when in DRL mode? (Which would be awesome, I love that look.)

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
So do I need an additional wiring harness or something to makes these strips work? I have seen something to that effect in the forum but am not sure what light setup it's for, or for what end goal.

Or is this just the same end result as choosing Turn Signals in AOBD to use as DRLs? (Which is what I am running now.)

Or does this make the turn signal LEDs run white when in DRL mode? (Which would be awesome, I love that look.)

No additional wiring for your factory equipped projector truck.

No the factory projectors won't have separate white strip. It just runs the signal strip at a reduced capacity and can be turned on/off through the 8.4 radio menu once properly setup. I'm not sure how the factory protectors are wired internally to make use of the separate turn signal feed and DRL feed... But they are separate on the factory headlight assy connector.

Maybe someone else's that's taken one apart for a rebuild can comment.

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)