AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Got thinking about the TPMS limits. Before I changed them alpha said they were set at 65 rear and 60 front. I know from playing with tire pressure that I posted in another thread, that the low tire warning did not go off until tires were 20% below those. I am going to check how low I have to go for the low tire alert to go off. I am thinking I may have to set them to 45 front and 40 rear to get it to alert at 36 and 32 respectively rather than the thresholds I actually set of 30 rear and 35 front.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I plan to leave the security gateway plugged into the blocks but not the factory OBD port. That way it is easy to hook back up but you haven't compromised the security features and it doesn't interfere with the dealer hooking up to the factory OBD port.

I will carry the MX+ in the center console so it is handy in case I pop an error code along the way. I ran the MX+ with its proprietary software on the 2020 Grand Cherokee and it read it just fine too.

I don't really see me changing that much more stuff on this truck, except for my desire to have a higher idle for sitting. Have been emailing with the developer, Alexey, great guy to deal with. He is checking out if there is a way to activate the high idle function on a 6.4 pickup like they have on the cab and chassis with the 6.4. If that doesn't work he is going to check if there is a way to permanently bump up the idle RPM 100 or so revs. I will post the outcome of that here.

octomodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have searched and read through the forums and alfaobd thread. I have a 2015 1500 Eco diesel. I keep getting -40, windows work intermittently or not at all, ac will not work due to the -40.

If I remove the positive battery cable, the windows will work fine for about 15-30 seconds, then temp changes to -40 and they either dont work at all, or barely (small movements with each push).

I have got another door module and this did not fix the issue. for a few days, if I removed the pos bat cable the sensor, windows, ac would work until I turned truck off and back now. Now they only function for about 15-30 seconds.

I have the newer tow mirrors which I believe are from another truck. I have tried using Alfaobd to set to DCM and to set to No on CBC present. This has not made a difference. I tried connecting to the door module with my EX but it will not connect. Do I need the can analyzer that connects to h/l for this? What two pins are h and l from the obd.

Anyone have any other suggestions or thoughts?

I have codes on BCM for comm lost for hvac, door, and one other item (will have to check).

ihaveajeep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all. I created an account because I have more of an AlfaOBD inquiry, relating to my Jeep Grand Cherokee (with air suspension). Apoloogies if this ****** anyone off, but our forums are light on info and the Ram forums seem to be very active around Alfa OBD. Georgeous trucks by the way. I looked into a RAM and a Tahoe 4 years ago but my driveway is too narrow and couldn't accommodate either of them.

So if anyone can chime in here is my inquiry:

I was wondering if someone can walk me through how to lower the air suspension settings (I want to lower my suspension about 10mm each corner). I was under the impression you can simply write in the new suspension values, but it seems this is a two-step process? Am I understanding that some manual measurements need to be made first, input and then we can set the calibrated ride height?
Some people say they just write the new values in. Others say they take physical measurements, pull up the offest values and then calculate the new numbers based off that.

I took some screenshots and did not proceed because I don't want to mess anything up. Thanks so much.

PXL_20230509_143853230.jpgPXL_20230509_144517888.jpg

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Hello all. I created an account because I have more of an AlfaOBD inquiry, relating to my Jeep Grand Cherokee (with air suspension). Apoloogies if this ****** anyone off, but our forums are light on info and the Ram forums seem to be very active around Alfa OBD. Georgeous trucks by the way. I looked into a RAM and a Tahoe 4 years ago but my driveway is too narrow and couldn't accommodate either of them.

So if anyone can chime in here is my inquiry:

I was wondering if someone can walk me through how to lower the air suspension settings (I want to lower my suspension about 10mm each corner). I was under the impression you can simply write in the new suspension values, but it seems this is a two-step process? Am I understanding that some manual measurements need to be made first, input and then we can set the calibrated ride height?
Some people say they just write the new values in. Others say they take physical measurements, pull up the offest values and then calculate the new numbers based off that.

I took some screenshots and did not proceed because I don't want to mess anything up. Thanks so much.

View attachment 521163View attachment 521164

One example

ihaveajeep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One example

Thanks for this. Very helpful, and confirms there is more to it than just writing in new values. I might just pass o this mod. Maybe I'll just try and build some links. I'm looking for minimal lowering. Thank you.

Bajaboy7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I’m no professional in this, but I did key fobs first then remote start and everything seems to be fine.
Thanks! That's what I did. Had the dealer program 4 fobs. The tailgate release worked instantly. Then yesterday I made my first real changes. Turned on the Gear indicator and remote start. It was a little confusing trying to figure out which modules things were located in but I got it done. Also, My BCM log file is showing up blank in google drive. I know I read some where that there was a trick to viewing it but I can't locate that post again.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Thanks! That's what I did. Had the dealer program 4 fobs. The tailgate release worked instantly. Then yesterday I made my first real changes. Turned on the Gear indicator and remote start. It was a little confusing trying to figure out which modules things were located in but I got it done. Also, My BCM log file is showing up blank in google drive. I know I read some where that there was a trick to viewing it but I can't locate that post again.
May 22, 2023, added some additional info to make it easier for folks to follow.

I am presuming folks know how to populate the configuration file so once that is done but just in case;

All the videos deal with uploading the file to Google Drive. I don't like Google so I wanted another option to save the file locally.

Email yourself the log file from AlphaOBD then double click to open the attachment on the email, you will be able to read the full file. You can send the file using any mail application but to be able to read it so far only works using Outlook. You double click on the attachment while in Outlook and it renders the list right into the email body, to open the attachment in the email. You can also save the actual email from Outlook, as opposed to the attachment, it will save with a.MSG extension and Outlook will open that properly and generate the complete configuration list. The rest of the email programs so far say it doesn't recognise the file format. The files don't open with word, notepad or excel either. You can however copy the info from the Outlook email and drop it into Word so you can email the file to firends in an easy to read format, or post it on here as an attachment.

An MSG file is how Outlook stores single emails.​

Microsoft’s email client Outlook uses the MSG format (i.e., a file with a ‘.msg’ extension) to store single email messages. When you drag-and-drop an email from Outlook to a folder on your computer, it’s converted into an MSG file. This file stores the email text, but it also stores the email metadata – things like who sent the email, who received it and when, etc. And it also stores links and attachments from the email. Microsoft owns the MSG format, though. So, you have to open MSGs with Outlook or Microsoft-compatible software.

Outlook is more than just an email client. It’s also a calendar, task manager, Rolodex, journal, notepad, and more. So, an MSG could be an email, an appointment, a task, a contact, etc. Any Outlook ‘item’ really. It’s stored as a different MSG subtype, and as we’ll see, this is relevant when you’re opening MSGs.

So, what’s the simplest way to open an MSG? Well, it depends. What do you want to do with it?​

Your options change depending on if you want just a glance at an MSG’s contents, or if you need to use those contents as evidence in a trial or deposition (i.e., as part of eDiscovery).

Option 1: Opening an MSG for a glance at its contents.​

If you only want an informal glimpse, it’s relatively easy to open an MSG.

Open the MSG with Outlook (in Windows): If you have access to Outlook, double-click the MSG and it’ll automatically open using Outlook. If it doesn’t, right-click on it, choose the ‘Open With’ option, and select ‘Outlook’. Alternatively, you can copy/paste the MSG manually. (Right-click it and select ‘Copy’, then go to the Outlook window. Here, right-click and select ‘Paste’.)

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If you want full time Gear Display to show up you first have to ensure Yes is selected under the BCM in AlphaOBD for the option "Display Gear". This will populate the option to the Screen setup options of the EVIC but it doesn't turn it on. You have to go to the screen setup and scroll down to the Display Gear option and enable it there also. Then it will show you as in D, but reflect the actual gear the truck is operating in. Some of the 2500s and 3500s have this option already enabled in the EVIC from the factory. Don't know if it is on 1500s.

If you want to save and read your configuaration file I added a bunch of info above on how to email it to yourself.

Heathen-19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found this post in another forum/group... Has anybody heard or done this??
I have heard/read that trying to do this with Alpa screwed up the PCM.

----I successfully disabled my speed limiter.
To do it, the procedure as follows
First in the bcm.
Set speed limiter to no
Max speed should be set to 510kms. Don't adjust that

Engine
Set max speed to 255mph/disabled
Rfhub
Read pin

Abs
Disable speed limiter
Enter pin# to do this.

Now ur good to go!

Last edited:

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

First in the bcm.
Set speed limiter to no

Engine
Rfhub
Read pin

Abs
Disable speed limiter
Enter pin# to do this.

Now ur good to go!
If you try it, make sure you upload a backup to google drive first and then after the change. Just incase you have to swap back settings.

I have not heard of this working for our trucks yet. But, the dev makes changes all the time. Might work now.

I am not willing to try it with big off-road tires myself but I totally get why you might want to.

MarkAy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had the BAFX adapter for years and it has worked well for finding CEL trouble codes on various vehicles (Dodge Neon, Nissan Sentra, Toyota Tacoma) and seems to work well on my new (to me) RAM 1500 Sport for scanning for error codes or diagnostics using the Torque app but I have connectivity issues (connecting, dropping off, connecting...) when I try to connect using AlfaOBD via a security cable. I'm ordering a new OBD2 adapter since I'm not sure the BAFX adapter will let me mod RAM settings as I want to with AlfaOBD.

Momany

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

First in the bcm.
Set speed limiter to no

Engine
Rfhub
Read pin

Abs
Disable speed limiter
Enter pin# to do this.

Now ur good to go!
I tried it as well for classic 2019 and it worked

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May 22, 2023, added some additional info to make it easier for folks to follow.

I am presuming folks know how to populate the configuration file so once that is done but just in case;

All the videos deal with uploading the file to Google Drive. I don't like Google so I wanted another option to save the file locally.

Email yourself the log file from AlphaOBD then double click to open the attachment on the email, you will be able to read the full file. You can send the file using any mail application but to be able to read it so far only works using Outlook. You double click on the attachment while in Outlook and it renders the list right into the email body, to open the attachment in the email. You can also save the actual email from Outlook, as opposed to the attachment, it will save with a.MSG extension and Outlook will open that properly and generate the complete configuration list. The rest of the email programs so far say it doesn't recognise the file format. The files don't open with word, notepad or excel either.

An MSG file is how Outlook stores single emails.​

Microsoft’s email client Outlook uses the MSG format (i.e., a file with a ‘.msg’ extension) to store single email messages. When you drag-and-drop an email from Outlook to a folder on your computer, it’s converted into an MSG file. This file stores the email text, but it also stores the email metadata – things like who sent the email, who received it and when, etc. And it also stores links and attachments from the email. Microsoft owns the MSG format, though. So, you have to open MSGs with Outlook or Microsoft-compatible software.

Outlook is more than just an email client. It’s also a calendar, task manager, Rolodex, journal, notepad, and more. So, an MSG could be an email, an appointment, a task, a contact, etc. Any Outlook ‘item’ really. It’s stored as a different MSG subtype, and as we’ll see, this is relevant when you’re opening MSGs.

So, what’s the simplest way to open an MSG? Well, it depends. What do you want to do with it?​

Your options change depending on if you want just a glance at an MSG’s contents, or if you need to use those contents as evidence in a trial or deposition (i.e., as part of eDiscovery).

Option 1: Opening an MSG for a glance at its contents.​

If you only want an informal glimpse, it’s relatively easy to open an MSG.

Open the MSG with Outlook (in Windows): If you have access to Outlook, double-click the MSG and it’ll automatically open using Outlook. If it doesn’t, right-click on it, choose the ‘Open With’ option, and select ‘Outlook’. Alternatively, you can copy/paste the MSG manually. (Right-click it and select ‘Copy’, then go to the Outlook window. Here, right-click and select ‘Paste’.)
I found Alfa actually stores the file locally, as my g-drive upload failed, but I found the file deep in the /Android folder. It was pretty obvious, once I got around the stupid "it's a system file, so you have to jump through hoops to get to it" that Android now has. (I think I just used my laptop to look at the file structure.)

Stores it as a plain text .log file. (I think it was something like /Android/data/com.alfa.<something>/Log/<log name>

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had the BAFX adapter for years and it has worked well for finding CEL trouble codes on various vehicles (Dodge Neon, Nissan Sentra, Toyota Tacoma) and seems to work well on my new (to me) RAM 1500 Sport for scanning for error codes or diagnostics using the Torque app but I have connectivity issues (connecting, dropping off, connecting...) when I try to connect using AlfaOBD via a security cable. I'm ordering a new OBD2 adapter since I'm not sure the BAFX adapter will let me mod RAM settings as I want to with AlfaOBD.
I tried a cheap ELM module I grabbed off FBMarketplace a while back, and it works great for Torque, on both my personal Ram, and my work Chevy (It's in the chevy, as I suck at remembering to write down the miles for work documenting), but Alfa hates it. I even tried an "ELM Test", and it came back supporting everything required.

But I just said "Screw it, don't want to risk bricking the truck if the adapter goes weird on me", and bought an OBDLink.

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
Clear engine light OR find out why it's on.
So driving down the highway and RED electric warning came on and peddle was messing up.
I pulled over and turned OFF Peddle Commander, and checked the message. Something about Throttle (something) Needs servicing.
So came home and plugged in OBD and only warning I had was some weird light bulb out of something, so I CLEARED it thinking if it's a bulb it will come back on.
No additional warnings but engine light still stays on when starting the truck.
I have no drove it around yet since clearing the warnings but I'm wondering what all happened or where I can get more info?
If engine light DOESN'T go out in time, how do I use ALPHAOBD to find why it's on??? It would give me a code right?

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
Engine light cleared, but I'm not happy about a throttle fail while going 70mph on a busy Highway... peddle commander might have to be retired... I'll give it another try but I think that's weird