AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

victormedeiros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 diesel
Does anyone know how to turn off the external ceiling lights?(cab lights?) with alfaobd? I would also like to leave the engine brake always on when I start the vehicle... any ideas? thank you very much..RAM 3500 2022

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@GhostRam - Wanted to add, there is a setting (on the 18's), where you can change the wiper cycles when you run the window wash cycle. Car Config -> CBC Features: Front Wiper Wipes After Wash -> 2,3,4,5. Stock I think is 2, I set it to 3, as usually I would like one extra pass. 3 took just fine.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hmm thumping around in the -'18 Body Computer section P/T Chassis Net: SGW Security Gateway option Enable/Disable. Anyone played with this? Maybe would not need the bypass cable?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Hmm thumping around in the -'18 Body Computer section P/T Chassis Net: SGW Security Gateway option Enable/Disable. Anyone played with this? Maybe would not need the bypass cable?
You have to have the cable installed to make that choice so even if it works, what is the point? The whole point of the security gateway is to protect the truck from unauthorised remote access for the purposes of stealing the vehicle or to make dangerous changes to configuration without the owners knowledge.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
You have to have the cable installed to make that choice so even if it works, what is the point? The whole point of the security gateway is to protect the truck from unauthorised remote access for the purposes of stealing the vehicle or to make dangerous changes to configuration without the owners knowledge.
I could go around the country disabling the SGW on others so that they wont have to go the BS. I wonder if $5 a shot would pay for the traveling haha. Nothing on the truck is accessible, no uConnect or other crap. Heck see today a TRX get stolen in less than 5 min, betcha his SGW was enabled

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Does anyone know how to turn off the external ceiling lights?(cab lights?) with alfaobd? I would also like to leave the engine brake always on when I start the vehicle... any ideas? thank you very much..RAM 3500 2022
in the '18 setup, nothing for either. The cab lights don't have a led y/n option like the other lights. In one of the A pillars should be the wiring harness, de-pin the connector. If it wasn't such a PITA, I would take one bulb out and see if there is a bulb out msg. I hate the yellow bulbs so I switched over to some white 194 LEDs without any codes or msgs.

As for the EB on, if you hear of something that works, LET ME KNOW haha. I was thinking of a momentary relay that would "blip" the line on acc, but I have been able to to find it is a +vdc, grd or some logic

BoSox18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any one know if you can change the auto blinker with Alfaobd? When you tap the turn signal the blinker flash 3 times. I would like to extend for a longer period, like 6 flashes.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Any one know if you can change the auto blinker with Alfaobd? When you tap the turn signal the blinker flash 3 times. I would like to extend for a longer period, like 6 flashes.
Good question. I've done it on Fords using Forscan but don't remember seeing it in AlphaOBD. I'll have to take a look. Hopefully someone will chime in or a question for the AlphaOBD forum.

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500 Laramie Limited
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good question. I've done it on Fords using Forscan but don't remember seeing it in AlphaOBD. I'll have to take a look. Hopefully someone will chime in or a question for the AlphaOBD forum.
I'm fairly certain that it is NOT possible with Ram trucks; I know I've read that it can't be done though I don't remember what the limitation actually is, and I can't find a provision in AlfaOBD to effect the same change that FORSCAN allows with the F-series. Its annoying, because even without changing in FORSCAN, when a trailer was hooked to my F150, I got 5 flashes vs. 3 in stock form. Ram doesn't even allow an additional couple flashes with a trailer that I can tell.

gizmoguide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put an Autotec nav system in my 2014 Laramie Limited and I'm wondering if anyone has been able to reprogram the steering wheel voice button to work with Google Assistant or Siri. I haven't been able to find anything useful on that topic.

Other than that, does anyone know where to go to program the steering wheel buttons in general?

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Guys, if I have obdlink mx+, can I use the free version of Alfaobd to do the new cluster adaptation? Or it can only he done with the paid version?

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, upgrading the basic cluster to the evic cluster in my 2012 and need to adjust the odometer. Poked around and found an odometer write option on the ecm. Can anyone confirm this is the correct location before I change anything? I looked in instrument cluster settings and didn't see an odometer change option.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have problems with AlfaOBD on a Pixel 7? I just tried to program new FOBIK keys to my truck using my Pixel 7, but on the PIN entry screen, it said "5 digits", and the PIN is only 4 digits. I tried multiple times and the procedure failed. So I went back to my old Android phone (which still has AlfaOBD on it) and tried it again: it says "4 digits" which is normal, and the keys programmed perfectly. My Pixel 7 is up to date, as is the AlfaOBD SW. Strange SW bug.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys, if I have obdlink mx+, can I use the free version of Alfaobd to do the new cluster adaptation? Or it can only he done with the paid version?
The free version is basically a tech test. IE can you read the truck. I think the paid "unlock" basically unlocks the ability to WRITE to the truck. And might be a timeout.

The OBLink is just the interface. Alfa recommends OBD, as they are basically guaranteed to work. Other adapters "work", but maybe not as reliably. I had a cheap ELM that seemed to be a "real" module, for everything except Alfa.

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The free version is basically a tech test. IE can you read the truck. I think the paid "unlock" basically unlocks the ability to WRITE to the truck. And might be a timeout.

The OBLink is just the interface. Alfa recommends OBD, as they are basically guaranteed to work. Other adapters "work", but maybe not as reliably. I had a cheap ELM that seemed to be a "real" module, for everything except Alfa.
Thank you for the explanation!

16Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am having problems trying to connect AlfaOBD to my truck.

I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 Crewcab. I am using the OBDLink MX+ (with updated firmware) with the latest OBDwiz version and the latest AlfaOBD version with a Windows 11 (home edition) laptop (fully updated). My laptop was inside the cab of my truck with me. I have "NO" problem connecting and using the OBDwiz app on my laptop and iPhone.

At first it wouldn't connect at all. All I would get was "Please Wait" in the "Status" line. Even waiting for 15mins and still it was only "Please Wait". After multiple tries, still only getting the "Please Wait", I decided to take a break. So I turned off my truck, unplugged the OBDLink MX+, came inside to have a beer and cool off from all the heat and restarted my laptop. When I went out and tried again, this time, for some reason, I was able to actually see the OBDLink MX+ on my laptop to connect to it with "Bluetooth"... BUT, as soon as it connected... it would disconnect within 1-2 seconds. I tried multiple times and the same thing kept happening. I then tried to connect to it in AlfaOBD and it actually tried to connect this time but it never would. I received the following error in the below pic.

AlfalOBD Error.jpg

I followed the instructions in the above pic but I kept getting the same issue and error message (pic above). I then went into "Advanced Mode" in AlfaOBD and changed the "Interface" to "Bluetooth ELM327//OBDLink LX/MX/MX+//vLinker" and tried to connect again. This time I got a different error immediately (below pic). No trying to connect or anything.

AlfalOBD Error2.jpg

Again, I followed the instructions in this error message (above pic) and again I just kept getting the same error.

At first I started to think that it was a problem with the "Bluetooth" on my laptop but it is updated to the latest version from Intel and connects with NO problem to everything else (OBDwiz, iPhone, iPad, headphones, TV, etc...).

I now have no idea what the problem could be except for some setting that isn't correct in AlfaOBD. Could it be that I need to be using some other interface to connect? Hoping someone here has gone through the same or similar problems that I am having and will know what to do to fix it.

Last edited:

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am running the same setup configuration as you are, except Win10.
Last month my laptop / Windows did an update and it wouldn't connect. Found it to be the updated bluetooth driver was hosed.

Reinstalled the previous version driver and it connected. Once connected, I deleted the OBDLink MX+ from devices and rebooted. I then reinstalled the latest driver and rebooted. Then re-installed the MX+ and it all worked OK since.