alignment issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
about a month ago i traded my 2018 ram 3500 with the hemi in for a 2017 ram 3500 CTD love the truck. when i had my previous truck i ordered a leveling kit for it but never installed it so i decided to install in my new truck so when i was down there i noticed previous owner had the recall for the drag link to be welded so after the install the truck pulled a little to the right so took it in the dealership to get it aligned and after picking it up last night my steering wheel is at 10 -11 o clock going straight down the road. they said they couldn't do fine adjustment because the drag link is welded. so im kinda ****** off and im sure once i get ahold of he service manger im probably going to get the run around on it. cause i think if you cant get a proper alignment done cause the drag link is welded they should replace it. cause welding it isnt a real fix.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Grind the weld, adjust, re-weld. Or, replace the drag link. It's not the dealer's fault, or the service manager. They aren't giving you "the runaround" just because you don't understand what you did before you did it. If it's still under warranty (I'm assuming it's not), they would probably replace the drag link for you. Hell, they may still do that...But if you anticipate issues, you're going to get issues.

OP
OP

2018_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
it still has a warranty and i know its not there fault but welding the jam nut isnt a true fix to me. im trying to get ahold of them to see what they can do to center the steering wheel at least cause its going to drive me crazy with it being off center.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
This is bone simple. Replace the Drag link under warranty. Welding it is NOT a proper fix. Might have been necessary to do because of the recall and no parts availability but once parts are available it should be fixed correctly..

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WELDING that nut on the 3500's was the "recall Fix" on those trucks. There are a bunch of threads on how PPL have just replaced OEM draglink with a better product. Guess depends if U want to go to dealer and see if they replace and/or U get no satisfaction and/or want to spend the $$$$$. Not the first recall/fix by FCA or any other company that was done for the masses and to save money, but in reality kinda suked, LOL. When I read it when it first came out, I thought, now dat is a stupid idea, but I am not a mechanic. All IMHO...

OP
OP

2018_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
so just got off the phone with the dealer they want me to pay for a new drag link so i can have my truck aligned. its not covered under warranty. but there going to refund my money back for the alignment. and i know on this forum and other forums that i have seen people getting reimbursed on replacing the drag link idk if thats ram product or aftermarket. so right now i dont know if it worth calling corporate on the issue and see if they would reimburse me on a new part or just go and buy the synergy drag link.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I would be surprised if they reimbursed for that drag link, it runs around $350 but you never know. Pretty good of them to refund the alignment cost I guess.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If the drag link was welded per the recall, FCA *will not* reimburse if you replace the link out of pocket. The recall was closed after it was welded. Could be an exception, but I wouldn't count on it.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If the link is welded and they can't properly align and centre the wheel then it isn't done right. Period, end of story. I would be raising holy hobb till they fixed it right. FCA can think whatever they want but they did a scab repair. You don't have to bend over and take it. It's an 80 thousand dollar truck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One thing to note is that the OP's front alignment is probably "right", if he wanted it set to Ram specs. The wheel is just off center.

I had mine aligned to Thuren specs after I put the level kit on it and it came out of the shop with the same issue, the wheel was off a few degrees.

So I took it home and ground the welds off, adjusted the link to get the wheel where I wanted it, and rewelded it.

Yes, it's a hack "recall" fix straight out of the gate. For me, I figure it's temporary until I order the Synergy replacement and Bilstein double steering damper.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
WELDING that nut on the 3500's was the "recall Fix" on those trucks. There are a bunch of threads on how PPL have just replaced OEM draglink with a better product. Guess depends if U want to go to dealer and see if they replace and/or U get no satisfaction and/or want to spend the $$$$$. Not the first recall/fix by FCA or any other company that was done for the masses and to save money, but in reality kinda suked, LOL. When I read it when it first came out, I thought, now dat is a stupid idea, but I am not a mechanic. All IMHO...

You're correct, welding it should not have been the end fix - a replacement should have been. I could have seen the weld being a temporary fix until parts were available so the customer could still drive their truck, because a weld IS going to hold everything together...but can't ever be adjusted properly down the road. It was a half-assed fix, and why it was ever allowed to be the final fix by NHTSA is beyond me.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If the drag link was welded per the recall, FCA *will not* reimburse if you replace the link out of pocket. The recall was closed after it was welded. Could be an exception, but I wouldn't count on it.

This right here is what I'd bet on. If the recall was completed (welded), then the recall was closed and considered fixed. Anything down the road would be an out of pocket expense unless one of the ball joints on the end failed while under warranty.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
so just got off the phone with the dealer they want me to pay for a new drag link so i can have my truck aligned. its not covered under warranty. but there going to refund my money back for the alignment. and i know on this forum and other forums that i have seen people getting reimbursed on replacing the drag link idk if thats ram product or aftermarket. so right now i dont know if it worth calling corporate on the issue and see if they would reimburse me on a new part or just go and buy the synergy drag link.

What you're seeing people get reimbursed for was this: People were buying the new drag link from a 2019+, having it installed and an alignment done, then submitting the receipts to 1. be reimbursed for the cost of the new drag link and 2. have the recall closed out so it no longer appeared on the truck.

Honestly...the recall is still open on my truck because I have refused to let my dealer weld it (and my dealer fully supports this - they've been pushing as many people as possible to pay out of pocket first then get reimbursed). At nearly 80k miles it's still holding strong (probably stronger since everything has seen a few Michigan winters now), but if I have to replace it I'll be submitting a reimbursement claim for the updated parts, not letting them weld it.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everybody, I am going to stay away from the draglink issue for the most part. What some of you have failed to realize is that when you lift the front or rear suspension on these trucks, the axles shift about about an inch ( front axle to the left which will actually turn the steering wheel to the left (ie 11 oclock) rear axle to the right.)
The fix is either a drop bracket or install an adjustable trackbar/panhard bar. Not reclocking the steering wheel or adjusting the draglink first.
To verify this look at your front tires and see if the left sticks out farther than the right.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Hello everybody, I am going to stay away from the draglink issue for the most part. What some of you have failed to realize is that when you lift the front or rear suspension on these trucks, the axles shift about about an inch ( front axle to the left which will actually turn the steering wheel to the left (ie 11 oclock) rear axle to the right.)
The fix is either a drop bracket or install an adjustable trackbar/panhard bar. Not reclocking the steering wheel or adjusting the draglink first.
To verify this look at your front tires and see if the left sticks out farther than the right.
If the alignment is adjusted at the tie rod (and maybe the caster eccentrics), the steering wheel will be off-center and the only way to correct it is to adjust the draglink. You are correct on the trackbar. Nearly all lifts come with a new bar, an adjustable one, and then comes the PITA process to re-center the axle AND re-center the steering wheel.

Last edited:

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
What you're seeing people get reimbursed for was this: People were buying the new drag link from a 2019+, having it installed and an alignment done, then submitting the receipts to 1. be reimbursed for the cost of the new drag link and 2. have the recall closed out so it no longer appeared on the truck.

Honestly...the recall is still open on my truck because I have refused to let my dealer weld it (and my dealer fully supports this - they've been pushing as many people as possible to pay out of pocket first then get reimbursed). At nearly 80k miles it's still holding strong (probably stronger since everything has seen a few Michigan winters now), but if I have to replace it I'll be submitting a reimbursement claim for the updated parts, not letting them weld it.
I didn't take mine in for recall either but did replace with the redesigned MOPAR drag link out of pocket. I recall it was about $250 or something. However, my original was okay at the time and was holding when I replaced it.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
about a month ago i traded my 2018 ram 3500 with the hemi in for a 2017 ram 3500 CTD love the truck. when i had my previous truck i ordered a leveling kit for it but never installed it so i decided to install in my new truck so when i was down there i noticed previous owner had the recall for the drag link to be welded so after the install the truck pulled a little to the right so took it in the dealership to get it aligned and after picking it up last night my steering wheel is at 10 -11 o clock going straight down the road. they said they couldn't do fine adjustment because the drag link is welded. so im kinda ****** off and im sure once i get ahold of he service manger im probably going to get the run around on it. cause i think if you cant get a proper alignment done cause the drag link is welded they should replace it. cause welding it isnt a real fix.
If you obtain the original TSB on this issue (thread stretch) the welding they call for is a spot weld which is simply grind it off to do any realignment. This is exactly what they did to my son's 2500.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 062202 miles.

DodgeDude1999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had an alignment done on my ‘14 2500 over the summer at a friends shop. They couldn’t adjust the tie without breaking the drag link loose (which involved cutting the welds). The directions on the alignment machine even stated as such.

It goes straight down the road, but the steering wheel is off by a degree or 2.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the alignment is adjusted at the tie rod (and maybe the caster eccentrics), the steering wheel will be off-center and the only way to correct it is to adjust the draglink. You are correct on the trackbar. Nearly all lifts come with a new bar, an adjustable one, and then comes the PITA process to re-center the axle AND re-center the steering wheel.
Hello Sepp and everybody else, before I did the level on my 2500, it tacked straight and true and the steering wheel was straight.
While doing the lift I watched the wheel turn to the left. So when I put the trackbar on I adjusted it till the wheel was centered again. I drove down some nice flat streets and made 2 or 3 tweaks to the trackbar, done. Not a PITA.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Grind the weld, adjust, re-weld. Or, replace the drag link. It's not the dealer's fault, or the service manager. They aren't giving you "the runaround" just because you don't understand what you did before you did it.

preach on brotha :favorites37:

could always remove the rediculous level spacers as well