Alpine 8.4AN Premium - iPhone Unplayable on USB Port?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I plug my iPhone 6 into the USB port, it says "Device Unplayable".

I have the latest UConnect software (unless a new one has come out in the last few weeks).

Is this 8.4AN Premium Alpine UConnect system simply not compatible with iPhones, or do I have a problem?

Any help?

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I don't run my 6 thru the USB port. I have an old 4s for my music, but my uconnect works fine with the 6.

OP
OP
R

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Strange. What would cause the 8.4AN system to not recognize an iPhone through the USB port when it plays fine through the AUX port?

It does charge through the USB port.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is your music on the iPhone mp3 or WMA format? I'm not an iPhone user, but I use my Android and it will only play the mp3s on my device. The uconnect site also says mp3 and WMA format via USB.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
isnt the USB port for charging only?

OP
OP
R

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are two USB ports in the media console.

One is for charging only (the HU doesn't even know anything has been plugged into it), and the other is for charging as well as a "source" for music.

OP
OP
R

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is your music on the iPhone mp3 or WMA format? I'm not an iPhone user, but I use my Android and it will only play the mp3s on my device. The uconnect site also says mp3 and WMA format via USB.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It doesn't work for any format, even streaming (ie: Spotify).

whalleyb0y

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 8.4AN is really inconsistent when it comes to plugging my iphone 6 into it via usb. Used to work fine everytime but then I updated the ios software on the phone and the truck got an update too and now it only recognizes the itunes half the time. I got annoyed by this and just bluetooth connection now.

OP
OP
R

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Numerous reports out there concerning UConnect issues with iPhones using USB ports.

I tried every fix with no success, and then tried the one I discounted and it worked.

You need to have at least one purchased song loaded in iTunes on the iPhone for UConnect to recognize the phone through the USB connection.

No music apps will work, Spotify or others, unless you have at least one song in iTunes.

Ridiculous, but it now works.