Am I being a wimp about U connect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlennRH

Military
Reaction score
I'm hoping to buy this spring and while I am quite comfortable around computers, this would be my first vehicle with a screen. Truly, but for the fact that it's nearly impossible to avoid the U connect upgrades I probably would. At any rate this component seems to be the one I hear the most horror stories about. I could not care less about maps and Serius but it seems that so many commonly used functions are also controlled via the touch screen. I guess I am having a hard time getting a handle on why this component has been and is still popping up with so many problems.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maps, Sirius and whatever else Uconnect may offer, I couldn't care about. Have never cared enough, to figure whatever Uconnect may offer.

Functions via the touch screen are nice. Could be more streamlined a bit, but OK as they are.

OP
OP
G

GlennRH

Military
Reaction score
Maps, Sirius and whatever else Uconnect may offer, I couldn't care about. Have never cared enough, to figure whatever Uconnect may offer.

Functions via the touch screen are nice. Could be more streamlined a bit, but OK as they are.
I should be more clear, all I care about is the radio portion and the functions of the truck that you need to access the screen for. Heck, I don't really even care about the phone part of it. Thing is it seems to me black screen knocks you out of those functions as well.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I like having hard buttons instead of relying on a touch screen. On my ‘18 Limited with the 8.4, I have a row of buttons for various functions. They are also available in the radio for same functions, but that involves a few motions to get to where you want.
I am waiting for my new ‘22 1500 to arrive, and I will have the 12” screen. I didn’t really want that, but certain options required me to pick a “package” and it throws in the 12” screen.
So I guess I just need to get used to the new radio controls.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don’t really need navigation as the new radios are android auto and Apple CarPlay capable. If you have a smartphone the integration with the radio is superior to the uconnect apps.

OP
OP
G

GlennRH

Military
Reaction score
I like having hard buttons instead of relying on a touch screen. On my ‘18 Limited with the 8.4, I have a row of buttons for various functions. They are also available in the radio for same functions, but that involves a few motions to get to where you want.
I am waiting for my new ‘22 1500 to arrive, and I will have the 12” screen. I didn’t really want that, but certain options required me to pick a “package” and it throws in the 12” screen.
I'm thinking of '23 but hope to see what your impressions are. That's the problem I'm having as well. The base model offers almost zero options unless you click a box that upgrades the screen as well.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I purchased my wife a 2021 Ram. Once the U Connect service expired I refused to pay the price to keep it. She still gets Sirius and navigation without the service.
Same here which helps in avoiding those UConnect upgrade blues.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
GlennRH, when I first went to option out my order, I was just wanting the regular 8.4 radio. I didn’t care or want 360° cameras, HUD, plus driving controls (auto braking,etc.), but I did want the stereo. So I put a check in that box!
As long as I don’t have display problems in the screen, it will be ok. Time will tell! Just need to take delivery!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When U get yer new truck, just be advised:
1) Reported problems with 12" screen apps.
2) Your 22 will have U Connect 5, and there are issues with it, many PPL awaiting OTA updates to fix problems.

Just letting U know.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same here which helps in avoiding those UConnect upgrade blues.
Yup, nothing worse than an OTA upgrade that bricks yer radio system. I had a small problem with my 15 ED, with MY 19 DT 8.4, got plain jane U connect 4, no OTA's eva, lol.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Turkeybird56, yea I know what you are saying. It’s why I didn’t want that radio, but I wanted some options that “made” me accept it. And warranty is nice, but that can be a headache too trying to get it fixed.
Fingers crossed, hope I get one that works!!

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
My 2022 came with the 8.4" Uconnect 5 radio and I've had zero issues with it. It is even interfaced with a Pac AMPPro for aftermarket audio. I use Android Auto for streaming music and nav and it works flawlessly. Now, I will go out to my truck after posting this and encounter a problem... :D

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Got 2022 classic Warlock with the Uconnect 5 , 8.4 screen no nav . It works sort of . It keeps dumping presets , steering wheel controls for calls and vr don't work right , but like most things that are new and improved are rushed to market with insufficient testing . Shove it out , hope it works and if it doesn't they will eventually fix it at the consumers inconvenience.

I'm in Canada and one of the countries largest cell phone carrier updated it's infrastructure wiped out 911 , debit machines crashed , no cell or data service for days , their response , sorry about that and blah, blah, blah.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It would be nice to get it fixed but all the dealers can do is flash it and replace it , with same radio that probably won't work right.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
forget about uConnect. it;s garbage and most of the complainntss about teh screen system is the uConnect part of things. The Tech sucks, the gys who designed are dumb and the softwre appears to be created by the guys who barely graduated.

Now, the fact that radio controls so much of the interior features, like music, heat, a/c vent or floor or dash, there have been a few issues but, overall, not somehting to worry about. All that stuff has had issues with mechanical connections , in the pas,t to me, about the same degree.

I think, You are over thinking it. no matter what you get, its oging to have electronic screen and stuff will work through that screen. Pick out what you want and enjoy it.
worry about something, when i happens, not what may happen or you will never do anything but owrry.
Less, of ocurse, that is what floats yoru obat. Got a sister in law who is not h appy unless she is unhappy, in that case, jam on brother.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Don't sign up for Uconnect,
Don't press the 911 & Assist buttons on the mirror

Just use your cell phone if you have an 911 emergency
Assist is just answering your questions about the Ram, don't be lazy, look it up in your Owners Manual

Who really needs to use Uconnect to unlock or start your vehicle when you are several miles away from your Ram?
Tell the person that borrowed your Ram, that they should find an alternate kind of transportation.

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Don't sign up for Uconnect,
Don't press the 911 & Assist buttons on the mirror

Just use your cell phone if you have an 911 emergency
Assist is just answering your questions about the Ram, don't be lazy, look it up in your Owners Manual

Who really needs to use Uconnect to unlock or start your vehicle when you are several miles away from your Ram?
Tell the person that borrowed your Ram, that they should find an alternate kind of transportation.
Well lets see, it was -17 degrees here in Nebraska a week ago, the FOB doesn't have the range I need to remote start from where I am at work. It's a nice feature for me to have access to. I just simply canceled one of the bazillion streaming subscriptions my wife has to cover the cost. :D

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I should be more clear, all I care about is the radio portion and the functions of the truck that you need to access the screen for. Heck, I don't really even care about the phone part of it. Thing is it seems to me black screen knocks you out of those functions as well.
There are two screen sizes. Go with the 8.4”. They seldom have issues and you’ll still have some old fashioned dial controls. Avoid the 12” screen if you’re not a techie. I’ve had 2 trucks w/the 8.4 and my current one w/the 12. Next truck I’ll go back to the 8.4. I am not a techie.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got 92K miles and have a 12" screen with zero problems. I subscribe to the Uconnect service because I DO have a use for having remote functions and I'm willing to pay the price for the service.