Am I being a wimp about U connect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hershey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have a '18 1500 Dark Edition Hemi with the Uconnect...the screen, I think, is separating and I miss the Nav built in, but the Android does work and I have two or three different map apps available...love the truck though....

NMCajun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don’t really need navigation as the new radios are android auto and Apple CarPlay capable. If you have a smartphone the integration with the radio is superior to the uconnect apps.
Don't know that I agree with this. I use android auto on my 2019 Laramie and the info on the screen leaves a lot to be desired as well as the functions. The uconnect is superior if you have the time to put in destination info.

restopaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have 2014 2500. Once Uconnect stop the talk to text feature I cancelled my subscription. I also find having to use the screen to switch from vent to heat a pain.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I wanted the simple small 5 inch screen, but it was available only if I gave up other options I did want (like heated seats). At first I thought I'd like the Apple Car Play's integration with my phone.

Now I despise it.

I hate how I have to switch the screen to change many climate settings. I hate how I have to use the screen to change the radio's tone. I hate the Apple Car Play interface. My wife hates the Android Auto interface even more. We hate how it randomly freezes up. We hate how its nanny state programming strips functionality the moment the truck moves. I hate how I've had to take it back to the dealer to get it to stop freezing. I hate that despite these trips it still freezes. I hate using the phone's navigation system (especially when towing) so much that I spent $500 on a Rand McNally RV GPS that has Bluetooth, Wifi and connects to the phone for cellular data. I do use a thumb drive plugged into the truck to store tons of music for long trips with crappy cell service, but this feature was on my old truck with a 5 inch simple interface.

All things considered, the lack of functionality of the 5 inch screen would be an added feature.

OP
OP
G

GlennRH

Military
Reaction score
I wanted the simple small 5 inch screen, but it was available only if I gave up other options I did want (like heated seats). At first I thought I'd like the Apple Car Play's integration with my phone.
That's the problem. Aside from a bed liner and cover there is no way to add any options at all without upgrading to a huge package that has the large screen and you need it to make the options function.

Brent 1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm hoping to buy this spring and while I am quite comfortable around computers, this would be my first vehicle with a screen. Truly, but for the fact that it's nearly impossible to avoid the U connect upgrades I probably would. At any rate this component seems to be the one I hear the most horror stories about. I could not care less about maps and Serius but it seems that so many commonly used functions are also controlled via the touch screen. I guess I am having a hard time getting a handle on why this component has been and is still popping up with so many problems.
I have one problem with my map system with my U Connect it likes to upgrade at all the wrong times. But I have never had any problems with any of the other items. My truck is a 2013 3500HD Laramie DRW

NMCajun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't know that I agree with this. I use android auto on my 2019 Laramie and the info on the screen leaves a lot to be desired as well as the functions. The uconnect is superior if you have the time to put in destination info.

NMCajun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I should add that I'm no great fan of uconnect. My $1300 android is far superior to the uconnect on my $54000 Hemi: voice search hardly EVER works - for a contact name or for a business I'm trying to find. And there are times when I am unable to input an address I know exists. I could go on, but I don't care about "Serious" (play on words - not worth the $$$) and hope RAM will upgrade not only some of their luxuries, but doesn't forget that RAM is still a truck and continues to make it stronger yet.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I should be more clear, all I care about is the radio portion and the functions of the truck that you need to access the screen for. Heck, I don't really even care about the phone part of it. Thing is it seems to me black screen knocks you out of those functions as well.
Sounds like my concerns exactly. Way back when I bought my new truck in 2019. I bought a Tradesman with the basic radio and without all the other stuff integrated. Then I upgraded to the 8.4 radio, a UAS model, so that I could connect my phone and use the maps option. My personal opinion is it's worthless to have the integrated maps because there's a cost to upgrade, the software could be missing roads and other things that are daily updates which a product like Google maps would be more likely to have quicker.
Regarding the other functionality, I want the controls for each thing like fan and heat settings, heated seats (which I am installing aftermarket), and other things to each have their own switch, if you will, so that when I have a problem, I can trace it in its own circuit and not have to worry about the integrated controlling of everything. I have added all the factory features I wanted using OEM items except for the actual fog lights which are aftermarket (but my switch and wiring are all factory) and eventual heated seats. I kept track of my cost and I added everything for about 50% of the cost of including it in factory packages where I would have gotten things I didn't want or need. There are some great vendors on here who can help you with OEM parts and aftermarket wiring harnesses if needed.

Jerseybob175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had a series of Ram 1500's over the 12 years. The Uconnect has never been fully functional and appears to be mostly third part junk.
What I DO use it for is: cell calls, Sirius radio, FM radio, and some of the comfort feature controls.
The mapping features provided at purchase and offered later by the vendor to "update", for a ridiculous amount of money, are useless and dangerous. We use Google Maps or Waze from our phone for real time traffic and directions. We also still use our Lifetime updated Garmin Nuvi5 when traveling. Through it on the dash or in the console and off you go. The other apps Uconnect offers include weather, "current" gas stations and pricing. Again, use your phone apps or a GPS device as I am completely done with the utility of Uconnect says it can do.
JMHO

OP
OP
G

GlennRH

Military
Reaction score
Kind of sounds like if you just stay away from all the Connect stuff that he screen is fairly trouble free? I'd be good with that.

MN2500

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ltr ecoTorque
I have it with everything still connected, I use the remote start on Uconnect a lot, and haven't had any issues at all other than the map being out of date. But, the map could be worse. The map on my 2019 VW Jetta SEL Premium showed a pond that was filled in almost 60 years ago.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ALL of the above is why I have MY 19 DT with just a U Connect 4 plain jane, no added SOS< or other BS, and no OTA's. Run all needed stuff through my I Phone, to include talk to text, etc etc.,. Works for me, and my very minor needs. I had the U Connect with all the stuff in MY 15 ED, and after the 1st year was useless and cost way too much to update, just IMHO...

My Google maps on my phone, etc integrates real well on my plain jane radio.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes but now if you want any options at all you have to go all the way.
No options on the whole hog NAV etc radio that I cannot do using my phone except for "remote start/entry" over signals, but my plain jane 4 radio not even do OTA's, and I just point fob out door towards truck and start, Just a simple BOIRD I be.

OP
OP
G

GlennRH

Military
Reaction score
No options on the whole hog NAV etc radio that I cannot do using my phone except for "remote start/entry" over signals, but my plain jane 4 radio not even do OTA's, and I just point fob out door towards truck and start, Just a simple BOIRD I be.
I meant if you want any options on the truck you have to upgrade from the base 5".

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I meant if you want any options on the truck you have to upgrade from the base 5".
OK, well I have 8.4 U Connect 4 plain jane. Basically 8.4 without Guardian, SOS, NAV stuff, but 8.4 which integrates fully with my Apple I Phone and does all it needs to do as far as apps from phone,. ie., Apple Car Play and Android Auto.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here is my 2 cents worth. I've owned a variety of brands and models of trucks, cars, and SUV's over the years and while the electronics have gotten better, they can't keep pace with the functionality and ease of use of a smart phone. Also, I tend to keep vehicles for a long time and all electronics get out of date pretty quickly. I replace my phones every two years so they stay pretty up to date, but my vehicles have tended to last 4 to 6 years or longer. Case and point is my 2014 Corvette which I bought in the spring of 2015. It had GM's top of the line electronicsfor 2014...but its now hopelessly outdated. But that's a Corvette and I love the car in spite of that.

So, if I were buying a Ram today, what I would be looking for is the 8.4 inch screen without navigation. It has Android Auto functionality (or Apple Car Play if Apple is your thing) which I use mostly to the exclusion of the built in stuff. The truck's screen just has to be essentially a monitor for the phone. Google has far better navigation and voice recognition than any car stuff I've tried. With the 8.4 inch unit, all my climate control, etc is still on regular physical knobs and buttons. I rarely use the built in stuff at all other than the trailering stuff and to play music from a USB stick. Mine has factory Nav just because it happened to be on the truck, but I've only tried it a couple of times. It works OK but still not as good as Google Maps, particularly the voice recognition.

For the remote functions, I used to like having remote start etc from my phone (that was on a previous GMC truck) because I couldn't see the truck from my office. In a MN winter it was nice to be able to remote start a few minutes before quitting time and get feedback on the phone saying it actually started. But once I was retired, I found myself using those things less and less and finally decided it wasn't worth the $15 per month (note Ram and GMC seem to be priced the same for this). Weather the remote functions are worth it to you is up to you, but they are still available in the non-Nav 8.4 inch.

So to me the non-Nav 8.4 is the best of both worlds.

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I like having hard buttons instead of relying on a touch screen. On my ‘18 Limited with the 8.4, I have a row of buttons for various functions. They are also available in the radio for same functions, but that involves a few motions to get to where you want.
I am waiting for my new ‘22 1500 to arrive, and I will have the 12” screen. I didn’t really want that, but certain options required me to pick a “package” and it throws in the 12” screen.
So I guess I just need to get used to the new radio controls.
I had the option of getting my '19 Rebel with the 8.4" screen or the 12" screen and chose the 8.4" screen, simply because it still had the physical controls for radio, climate control, etc., which were eliminated with the 12" screen. I had visions of trying to select options with gloves on in the winter and either the screen not reading or me picking everything but what I wanted. Of course, I had to get the Alpine system instead of the Harmon Kardon but, truthfully, almost 5 years in I'm not complaining (either the Alpine is not as bad as many say or too many years of gun fire and aircraft carrier catapults has left me unable to tell the difference!)

OP
OP
G

GlennRH

Military
Reaction score
I had the option of getting my '19 Rebel with the 8.4" screen or the 12" screen and chose the 8.4" screen, simply because it still had the physical controls for radio, climate control, etc., which were eliminated with the 12" screen. I had visions of trying to select options with gloves on in the winter and either the screen not reading or me picking everything but what I wanted. Of course, I had to get the Alpine system instead of the Harmon Kardon but, truthfully, almost 5 years in I'm not complaining (either the Alpine is not as bad as many say or too many years of gun fire and aircraft carrier catapults has left me unable to tell the difference!)
Alas those options are gone. I guess come summer I'll just have to deal with it. Not doing anything till that time plus I am waiting to see what might change if anything on the '23 Warlock.