Amsoil signature series synthetic 0W20 in 17 Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thomure77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been running Amsoil signature series synthetic 0w20 my mog went up by 2 and it sounds way better it seems to perform the same but I’ve never had any problems with mine yet just went over 88000 on the odometer no manifold problems or any other problems. Im second owner i got it with 31500 and change oil every 7000 which is my preference nothing directed me to do it that way just know Amsoil is better than pup and figured that sounded like a good number.. hope this info can help someone.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amsoil is one of the best oil brands available. If it were readily available on store shelves at a cost comparable to PUP, then it would no doubt be a favorite among vehicle owners. However, it's very expensive and available only from a somewhat limited dealer network which is a bother when trying to buy it. The prevailing criticism is that although it may be a marginally superior oil, less expensive oils such as PUP are all most vehicle owners really ever need. Amsoil is often considered an unnecessary expense.

That said, I use it. I feel that the old adage of Engines are expensive and oil is cheap applies even to Amsoil. I believe that if anyone wants the fewest potential engine problems over the life of a vehicle, then the cost is justified. This may be overkill because PUP is an excellent oil, but why not use an even better oil if the expense can be tolerated? I just feel better knowing that I'm using one of the best oils available and making no compromises.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Amsoil prices are much more palatable if you buy a few cycles worth. Their preferred customer program can save a lot as well. I don't run their stuff in the truck but I do buy it for my Harley.

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Logic would make you think that better gas mileage with thinner oils should also mean less engine wear. For some reason though, this does not seem to be the case.

OP
OP
T

thomure77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
idk about everywhere but I live in O’Fallon MO and rural king always has deals off and on through the year along with multiple other farm and home stores in my area and I just catch the deals when I can but always have enough where I’ve never had to miss an oil change without it. I guess I’m just in the right place at the right time. And I don’t know the data I don’t do tests or anything I’m old school i use it and read my oil in my engine after 7000 miles or even longer as I use it and it stays clean inside my engine and I don’t have a bunch of issues and everything staying lubricated and when I do my oil changes I’m not getting metal shavings in my pan or I’m not having any sludge and it runs and purrs like a kitten don’t have no Knocks, ticks or misses then she’s a go send it. Just figured maybe someone else having issues could see this and maybe make there day who knows lol i was bored and on the Internet again.

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Oil threads are like a bug light-you just can't resist participating so I'll fly right in. Zap!
Amsoil is top shelf stuff. You can't go wrong using it.
I use Mobil 1 5w20 exclusively. Why? I can get it cheap at Walmart.
About 24 years or so ago when Mobil lost their lawsuit against Castrol for claiming Syntex was a true synthetic (it was actually Group III synthetic equivalent), Mobil 1 joined the rest and Mobil 1 started using Group III formulations. What year that occurred IDK. To me oil changes aren't about changing an oil when it needs to be changed, it's about maintaining pristine oil quality at all times. As such, I change my Mobil 1 every 3K miles. By doing so, I know I always have pristine oil circulating. Is it necessary? Maybe not. But by 5K, 7K or as FCA recommended 10K, the oil is less than pristine due to accumulated condensation, blow-by contaminants, etc. I'd rather be assured the oil is always fresh. Cost? I spend $40.50 for 7 qts. of Mobil 1 at Walmart. I buy Mopar oil filters online for $8.50. I go to a local quick lube that doesn't mind me handing them my oil & filter. They charge me $25.95 for the change less a $3 credit for using my own oil filter. The total 7 qt. Mobil 1 oil change with Mopar filter costs me $71.95 before tax. I think that's very reasonable. The cherry on top is a $5 credit toward a full service car wash with my paid R.O.
Amsoil's great. I'm sticking with Mobil 1 every 3K.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've clocked a roughly 1-2MPG improvement on Pennzoil Platinum 5-20, over the random "full-syn" from the oil change places. Ultra Platinum 5-30 has me back at the "random full-syn" MPG.

Also noticed when I changed the "random full-syn" at about 5k, it was black as night. When I changed the Platinum 5-20 at about 5k, it was more "sweet tea" brown. Like I could see through the oil stream, once it started to slow down (didn't really look at it full stream). It was clearly browner than it was, but not "dead".

RKramkowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

thomure77, Rural King carries Amsoil? I live in St. Peters, not far from you and the conventional auto parts stores don't carry it. I didn't see it on the Rural King website either.​

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
As far as buying oil, I kind of prefer online nowadays anyhow so that aspect of Amsoil products doesn't bother me. I kind of hate people now generally speaking lol, so not having to go into a store is a bonus. Having it delivered to my door is a good thing. Right now I'm still using Mobil 1 but I do order Amsoil Fuel System cleaner online.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amsoil is one of the best oil brands available. If it were readily available on store shelves at a cost comparable to PUP, then it would no doubt be a favorite among vehicle owners. However, it's very expensive and available only from a somewhat limited dealer network which is a bother when trying to buy it. The prevailing criticism is that although it may be a marginally superior oil, less expensive oils such as PUP are all most vehicle owners really ever need. Amsoil is often considered an unnecessary expense.

That said, I use it. I feel that the old adage of Engines are expensive and oil is cheap applies even to Amsoil. I believe that if anyone wants the fewest potential engine problems over the life of a vehicle, then the cost is justified. This may be overkill because PUP is an excellent oil, but why not use an even better oil if the expense can be tolerated? I just feel better knowing that I'm using one of the best oils available and making no compromises.
What is PUP? Pennz Ultra .?

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the previously mentioned Amsoil preferred member account. It's only around 20 bucks and gives you a pretty good discount. At the oil change place which is usually the only place I can find it they want 17 to 20 bucks a quart. I can order it from Amsoil for about 12. If you spend 100 shipping is free. So I order oil for the truck and HC at the same time.