Quieting Hemi Tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First thing, if your truck is still under warranty I recommend taking it to the dealer. Hopefully they will take care of it and even if they don't, at the very least it will be documented. If they essentially blow you off like they did to me, continue reading.

For some of us the 5.7 Hemi is a nice smooth running engine with any oil we put in it. For others the 5.7 Hemi has a pretty loud ticking sound either on startup or after its completely warmed up. Not to be confused with a broken exhaust manifold bolt(s), this is a metal on metal tick that comes from the internals of the engine, most likely from the lifters although that's never been proven 100%.

My truck developed a loud tick at a fully warmed up idle around 2500 miles when I drained out Pennzoil Conventional (PYB) 5w20 and put in Pennzoil Platinum (PP) 5w20. The motor sounded horrible, you literally could hear all the metal components hitting against each other. It was simply awful sounding. Now I believe PP is a fantastic oil, it just didn't agree with my Hemi. Over the next few years I tried many different oils including (PYB) 5w20, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP) 5w20, Amsoil OE 5w20, Amsoil SS 5w20 and 5w30, Redline 5w20/5w30/0w30, Mopar 5w20 from the dealer which is either PYB or Pennzoil Gold. The only two oils that made a difference were PYB 5w20 which somewhat quieted it up, and Redline 5w30 which made the ticking all but disappear. For a complete list of the oil changes I did up until the summer of 2017 check this post out:
Oil list

After taking my truck to the dealer 3 times and 3 times being told it was "normal Hemi noise" I had kind of given up. It was either live with it ticking like it was going to grenade or find my own answers. After reading through the Synthetic Oil thread on here, I decided to give Redline oil a shot because it has been said on this forum that it quiets Hemi's and also on other forums that it quiets many different engines. I figured there was nothing to lose except some money.

First I tried Redline 5w20. It helped but it was still there. Then I tried Redline 0w30 because at the time I was nervous about running a 30 weight oil in an engine that was spec-ed by the manufacturer for 5w20. 5w20 vs 5w30 is a whole other discussion, long story short, you can run a Xw30 oil in a 5.7 Hemi with absolutely no MDS problems and no codes thrown. This has been proven many times. Anyways 0w30 made it quieter than Redline 5w20, but the ticking was still there at hot idle.

I also tried mixing PUP 4 quarts of 5w30 and and 3 quarts of 0w40 PUP SRT 0w40 (which has a good amount of molybdenum). I ran that for 3300 miles before it started ticking again so the quieting ability didn't last. It did however produce very low wear metals which is important to note.

Then I tried Redline 5w30. I gave it a good 500+ miles for the additional molybdenum that is in Redline oil to plate to all high contact surfaces in the engine. I realize it sounds too good to be true but here's a video documenting how quiet my truck is on Redline 5w30. Pay particular attention from 39 seconds to 1:03.

After finding an oil that actually quiets my Hemi up I decided to try another top shelf oil, Amsoil Signature Series (SS) 5w30. It can be had for much cheaper than Redline and its a damn good oil. So I poured some Amsoil SS 5w30 in my Hemi and started driving it. 500 miles in, it started developing the dreaded hot idle tick again.

This is what it sounded like when I put PP 5w20 in it, except it was easily twice as loud. If I went through a drive thru I would have to shut the truck off to be able to hear anything. It was that bad. Keep in mind the dealer told me on 3 different occasions that it was normal for it sound like that.
I ended up draining out the SS 5w30 and put Redline 5w30 back in. I only have about 100 miles on that oil so its still a little loud but not as loud as it was on SS 5w30.

Let me reiterate, I believe PP and SS are great oils. Many people run them in 5.7s with great results. I run SS 0w20 in my wifes 2017 Jeep GC 3.6 and it runs very smooth and quiet. I am not employed by or sponsored by Red Line Oil, I'm just running it because it works.Other oils that may or may not quiet a Hemi are Schaeffers and Motul. Both have high molybdenum. But as I found out, simply having an oil with high molybdenum such as Amsoil SS doesn't necessarily mean its going to quiet your Hemi.

So if you have a ticking Hemi give Redline 5w30 a shot. If you're worried about running a 5w30 in your 5.7, try Redline 5w20. It has worked for some, but didn't quiet mine up as much as Redline 5w30. When I get 500+ miles on my current Redline 5w30 fill I will take another video to document how quiet it is.

Hope this helps someone else out there quiet their noisy Hemi.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I will take video number one please. There is a scientific reason for this, Redline is real synthetic pao/ester oil with high moly. What do you have to loose to try it if you have hemi tick? Nick@gotexhaust sells redline dirt cheap.

I forget what I used prior to redline, it has been over 5 years. I wish I would have taken video like Corey, my change was even more dramatic. I first tried 5w20 redline and thought it was a bust. But after a few hundred miles my truck just went silent, and mostly has stayed that way for the last 5 years. I had the same result with 5w20 and 5w30 redline. Prior to that my truck was knocking bad. I now tried 10w30 redline because we found out it didn't have Vii's, however it isn't as good as the others are keeping the tick away. I still don't have hemi tick, but I hear some tapping like it wants to tick. If that changes I will update. I feel 5w30 Redline with a Royal Purple filter has been the best combo at keeping tick away from my truck. Thanks for well documented experience Corey.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great post Sir !

My truck was just a LOUD Engine imo on whatever was in it from the factory and the free dealer oil changes . I've used Redline oils for over 20 years in most everything I've owned and have always had great results , so naturally after the free dealer oil changes I went to Redline 5W-30 and my 5.7 L Hemi is like a different engine just butter smooth and quiet as a church mouse ...even at a drive through !
I tried Redline 0W - 40 mixed 50/50 with Redline 5W-30 and had the same quiet and smooth results . I'm now using Redline 10W -30 as it has a bit more Molybdenum, zinc and phophorus , I'm liking the 10W-30 so far , but I'll probably just end up with the 5W-30 year round in my 14 Ram .

My wife's 16 Challenger is super quiet and smooth on Redline 5W-30 as well .

Obviously neither have any mds issues as this BS has been proven many times it's not an issue to run a 30 wt oil in these engines .
Many folks including myself have ran 40 wt oil with zero MDS issues .

Great post Hemi , looks like you've found your oil Sir ! [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has always ticked only at startup, and only after sitting for a few days. When started every day, no tick on dino mopar 5w20 the dealer puts in. But I may change to redline 5W30 after reading this

ramwad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just put in 5-20 Royal Purple and its not as bad but still there. I would like to try a different solution next time but not sure what though.

Diesel358

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use the PUP cocktail of 4 bottles of 5W-30 and 3 bottles of 0W-40 and have never had Hemi tick. My truck is a 2016 CC 2wd with 8 speed and it’s been running PUP since 10K and now has 23k. Hopefully this mix keeps me tick free for the life of the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use the PUP cocktail of 4 bottles of 5W-30 and 3 bottles of 0W-40 and have never had Hemi tick. My truck is a 2016 CC 2wd with 8 speed and it’s been running PUP since 10K and now has 23k. Hopefully this mix keeps me tick free for the life of the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this mix is the next best thing to Redline.

wolver1385

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have always and still currenty do run 10w30 in my hemi (never had it make this sound) i have always used 10w30 in all of my v8 dodge trucks. I have built motors for the better part of my life and i live in south texas so the heat can get up there. 10w30 has always been my go to. as far as dodge spec'ing the motor for 5w20 that really isnt written in stone.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What a difference that REDLINE OIL made !
I know , I know I'm biased .
1) We know Redline is more vicious than Amsoil .
2) we know Redline is Easter base.
3) we know Redline is higher in Molybdenum, phophorus & Zinc than Amsoil.

Wonder if it's a combination of things ???

I'd lean toward 1 Esters , 2 Molybdenum 3 Viscosity & 4 ++phophorus & zinc

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What a difference that REDLINE OIL made !
I know , I know I'm biased .
1) We know Redline is more vicious than Amsoil .
2) we know Redline is Easter base.
3) we know Redline is higher in Molybdenum, phophorus & Zinc than Amsoil.

Wonder if it's a combination of things ???

I'd lean toward 1 Esters , 2 Molybdenum 3 Viscosity & 4 ++phophorus & zinc

I agree I think it's just the whole package that quiets things up

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I agree I think it's just the whole package that quiets things up
Man, that thing is just tap happy. It's 5+ years old. Did you buy it new? I'm assuming the answer is no. What did it sound like when you first bought it? Any maint history before you bought it?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Are still under warrenty? I just cant believe that is "normal " for any motor .

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man, that thing is just tap happy. It's 5+ years old. Did you buy it new? I'm assuming the answer is no. What did it sound like when you first bought it? Any maint history before you bought it?
Yup bought it brand new in 2013. It was smooth and quiet until put PP 5w20 in it.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yup bought it brand new in 2013. It was smooth and quiet until put PP 5w20 in it.
Wow. What did you run in it before that, and for how long? Miles/time?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye