Quieting Hemi Tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
so all this tick, lifter, cam, oil, etc etc talk has me borderline crazy/paranoid. i bought my truck used with 67k miles on it (14 sport 5.7 8hp70). dealer maintained...so 5w20. it had a lite tick to it so after around 2500 miles i switched to redline 5w30. had no issues running it in maine winters. this switch quieted the tick down right away and after around 1400 miles the motor really quieted down overall. it has sat for 9 days on vacation, first cold start no tick, etc. there are times i am very happy and confident in the motor. my first redline change i did a uoa and results were really good. so again, feeling good. but then there are times where it will make a little more noise than previous, or it sounds ticky at a drive thru etc. its very random and sporadic. but enough for me to have 0 confidence that this thing isnt slowly self destructing. plus seeing more and more issues seemingly daily with cams and lifters going doesnt help.

so my question is, is there anything one can do to verify the current condition of the engine (mostly cam/lifters, roller bearings etc) without spending a ton? or are we all playing roulette and just hope it doesnt happen while we own it? im also having trans issues and i feel this winter will be the end of her. i dont mind replacing one of the 2, but not both. this truck doesnt have everything i want to make it a forever truck. so sinking 10k into a 2014 doesnt make much sense. and im out of warranty. thoughts? @Hemi395 , @Wild one , @Burla, @chrisbh17

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so all this tick, lifter, cam, oil, etc etc talk has me borderline crazy/paranoid. i bought my truck used with 67k miles on it (14 sport 5.7 8hp70). dealer maintained...so 5w20. it had a lite tick to it so after around 2500 miles i switched to redline 5w30. had no issues running it in maine winters. this switch quieted the tick down right away and after around 1400 miles the motor really quieted down overall. it has sat for 9 days on vacation, first cold start no tick, etc. there are times i am very happy and confident in the motor. my first redline change i did a uoa and results were really good. so again, feeling good. but then there are times where it will make a little more noise than previous, or it sounds ticky at a drive thru etc. its very random and sporadic. but enough for me to have 0 confidence that this thing isnt slowly self destructing. plus seeing more and more issues seemingly daily with cams and lifters going doesnt help.

so my question is, is there anything one can do to verify the current condition of the engine (mostly cam/lifters, roller bearings etc) without spending a ton? or are we all playing roulette and just hope it doesnt happen while we own it? im also having trans issues and i feel this winter will be the end of her. i dont mind replacing one of the 2, but not both. this truck doesnt have everything i want to make it a forever truck. so sinking 10k into a 2014 doesnt make much sense. and im out of warranty. thoughts? @Hemi395 , @Wild one , @Burla, @chrisbh17

I hear you, and I'm the same way with my truck. Doubt it'll be my forever truck but I'll have it for many years.

The easiest way to see if theres anything going on with the lifters or cam is to pull the valve covers and have someone crank the engine. If all the rocker arms are moving the same amount chances are your cam is ok. Also, continue to do UOAs on your oil because it will show any spike in iron which would also point to a cam/lifter failure...

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I hear you, and I'm the same way with my truck. Doubt it'll be my forever truck but I'll have it for many years.

The easiest way to see if theres anything going on with the lifters or cam is to pull the valve covers and have someone crank the engine. If all the rocker arms are moving the same amount chances are your cam is ok. Also, continue to do UOAs on your oil because it will show any spike in iron which would also point to a cam/lifter failure...

im very.....sensitive, i guess is the word....where i can notice and feel things with vehicles. its good and bad at the same time. everytime i drive my truck i notice something at some point that i dont like. if its not perfect im not happy. i agree on the uoa. will keep doing those. and i have seen videos of the cold cranks to watch rocker arms.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
im very.....sensitive, i guess is the word....where i can notice and feel things with vehicles. its good and bad at the same time. everytime i drive my truck i notice something at some point that i dont like. if its not perfect im not happy. i agree on the uoa. will keep doing those. and i have seen videos of the cold cranks to watch rocker arms.
Same here, I've driven my mechanic to crazy over the years having him find noises I hear on my vehicles[emoji23][emoji23]

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do uoa's and check filters for metal is all you can do, and oh yeah run an oil built to handle tick conditions.

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Feelin exact same way, my issue is i am under warranty and have maxcare for 8yrs. I tried some 5w30 qsud and a rp 20 820. Sounded better at first then went back to bein noisy. Some guys here have nailed my exact issue, the starting up and moving in my driveway. I will get a nasty ticking start every time after. I have to drive it around for a bit now every time my kids are home and play musical cars. Some other new sounds have shown up. Im gonna go back and just let the stealer do the oil, csuse i hxve no confidence this engine wonthave an issue down the road. Being out of warranty atleast you dont have to play this ******** game and csn do whats best

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Feelin exact same way, my issue is i am under warranty and have maxcare for 8yrs. I tried some 5w30 qsud and a rp 20 820. Sounded better at first then went back to bein noisy. Some guys here have nailed my exact issue, the starting up and moving in my driveway. I will get a nasty ticking start every time after. I have to drive it around for a bit now every time my kids are home and play musical cars. Some other new sounds have shown up. Im gonna go back and just let the stealer do the oil, csuse i hxve no confidence this engine wonthave an issue down the road. Being out of warranty atleast you dont have to play this ******** game and csn do whats best

yes and no. No warranty so i can run redline with out worrying about a dealer getting their panties in a twist. But at the same time, like you, i have no confidence that my engine isnt on its way out. Even with redline. Dealer maintained it prior to redline. Having a warranty atleast lets you feel confident that if it does go within warranty, you are covered. Im not excited about possibly having to put 6500 into my truck that isnt even to 80k miles. Pretty sad. and it seems that someone is having issues weekly. Anything from 2018 trucks with 6k miles on up. and not just 1500 trucks, 6.4 too. pretty sad. and FCA is doing NOTHING about this. And dealers are playing the "sounds normal" game. Why? there is obvious dealer/manufacturer cooperation going on here. wonder why.....

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's just like with any service-oriented corporation: if the service is interrupted (say, like internet or cable TV), and the provider admits fault, then they are required to compensate for lost service up-time. That's why they never admit fault, even when we clearly know what happened.

If the stealership admits there's a problem with an engine that they caused, then they are required to repair/replace... costing them money. Onesie-Twosie cases here are there are not so bad, but when the problem is chronic and widespread, it could threaten the future of the company. That's why TSBs and/or recalls are so few and far between - there's irrefutable evidence that the issues were a result of negligence, poor engineering, or sub-par parts/materials. Picking and choosing the TSBs and recalls also factors in by way of likelihood of failure with potential outcome vs. let it ride and deal with the fall out (i.e., potential vs. actual airbag failures and the likelihood of loss of life and/or property as a result = better to just replace the inferior parts on all of 'em rather than potentially face multi-billions in pay-out from survivor claim settlements). They're also banking on a great deal of individuals simply ignoring the TSBs and recalls to offset the costs (I still haven't done my airbag recall yet, for instance).

Even if everybody on this forum had 'the Hemi tick' and filed claims, it's still just a drop in the bucket compared to how many trucks were sold over the years since the engine's been in-service...

... but they'll never admit it.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I have that same intermittent knocking noise ..... like a hollow knocking I can hear in this video but goes away completely after warmup .... no ticking per say at all ... I am using redline 5w30 for the past 1000 miles. I would explain my noise as knocking tho exactly as shown in this video. Dealer tech explained it to me as “piston slap” btw my truck has only 18k miles. With mods shown in my signature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no that's lifters bet mds ones and not getting very good oil or valves all warn out ready to go ? friends went at 115,000 5,000 for hime to fix sucks right !

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Had free oil changes for 2 years come with the truck (Toyota Dealer). I did my first one about 4 months ago. Within a couple months low and behold a tick started to develop on startup. I'm not sure what they used, might not even be a synthetic. With it being free I assumed they would put something basic in but obviously the engine doesn't like it.

I'm done with the crappy dealer oil, I'll just starting doing the oil myself. Redline 5w30 sounds amazing but in Northern Minnesota it gets down to -40 to -50 with wind chills in the winter. I'm afraid that running that thick of an oil would cause some major issues on startup. Especially if I'm on the ice fishing or something. Anyone think I would be safe just running the 5w20 instead to try and quiet the startup tick? I also see a sweet deal on the PYB 5w20 on amazon. $25.00 for a 5qt! Might try that one too and see how it takes.
if no noise should be ok let it warm up a little from bloomington ya a lot of warm ups a block heater was the best thing I ever did ! burrrrr cold there

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to Mobil 1 at my first oil change and now at 20K miles. No noise issues whatsoever, I have used that oil in everything I've owned since 1987.
OK now at 41K and everything still going great. Still Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 filter every 5K miles

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My last truck was a 2012 with the 5.7 hemi and all i used was castrol syntec 5w30 i sold it with a 125,000 miles and never had a tick. my 2015 sport got the tick when i used pup 5w30 so i dumped it and redline 5w30 made it very quit instantly so its redline 5w30 for me. i was afraid to even try redline 5w20 being to thin

Octane

Reaction score
Mine was noisy after cold startup and I changed to Havoline pro ds 10/30 and its always quiet now for last 4 oil changes.When mine was idling cold I could idle it up about 300 rpm for about 15 seconds and when I let it return to idle speed it would be quiet most times.Now I run Havoline it is quiet cold or hot.I think these engines could use a bit higher idle speed.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no that's lifters bet mds ones and not getting very good oil or valves all warn out ready to go ? friends went at 115,000 5,000 for hime to fix sucks right !

No I am positive it’s not lifters , it’s absolutely a bottom end hollow knocking noise I’m hearing. Top end is smooth an quiet. It also goes away when warm which would support my claim and the dealers claim
Of piston slap as the pistons heat up and expand enough to fill the gap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VaDimZH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My last truck was a 2012 with the 5.7 hemi and all i used was castrol syntec 5w30 i sold it with a 125,000 miles and never had a tick. my 2015 sport got the tick when i used pup 5w30 so i dumped it and redline 5w30 made it very quit instantly so its redline 5w30 for me. i was afraid to even try redline 5w20 being to thin

Why didn't you use Castrol Syntec 5-30 oil?

I'm at 500+ ml with Red Line 5-30,still have bad tick at cold,a bit less when warm.

I'm thinking to try Castrol Edge full synthetic 5-20.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Why didn't you use Castrol Syntec 5-30 oil?

I'm at 500+ ml with Red Line 5-30,still have bad tick at cold,a bit less when warm.

I'm thinking to try Castrol Edge full synthetic 5-20.

Am I reading that right...you are 500 miles into redline? If so try your best to give it 1500 miles before passing judgement. At 1400 miles mine really quieted down. Takes a bit for plating to take place.

VaDimZH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Am I reading that right...you are 500 miles into redline? If so try your best to give it 1500 miles before passing judgement. At 1400 miles mine really quieted down. Takes a bit for plating to take place.

Yeah right. I do not often drive it,so I'll try to wait until 1500ml. Hate this tick....:mad: