Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch with ball adapter??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Before you buy, check with the RV manufacturer if it will void the frame warranty. Some don't recommend a gooseneck to fifth adapter. Better safe then sorry.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Before you buy, check with the RV manufacturer if it will void the frame warranty. Some don't recommend a gooseneck to fifth adapter. Better safe then sorry.
Will do

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It's not the same thing as a gooseneck adapter

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don't need chains either. But Andersen will sell you a chain kit if you insist on it.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
You don't need chains either. But Andersen will sell you a chain kit if you insist on it.
Thanks Pete. Good to know. Btw, just thought you shoukd know that the Jayco 30.5MBOK bunkhouse we were looking at is on backorder. Lol. Figures. The dealership that contacted me first told me it's a nationwide backorder on the certain line that has that bunkhouse in it. They might have some by end if July or August. No hurry though because we haven't even put the house on the market yet.

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Pete. Good to know. Btw, just thought you shoukd know that the Jayco 30.5MBOK bunkhouse we were looking at is on backorder. Lol. Figures. The dealership that contacted me first told me it's a nationwide backorder on the certain line that has that bunkhouse in it. They might have some by end if July or August. No hurry though because we haven't even put the house on the market yet.

It's a pretty awesome floorplan...i have not seen one quite like it.. have you seen one in person? Sometimes it's not the same when you actually get inside it....what I'm getting at is if you know that's the one you want why dont you just get the dealer to order you one with all the options you want instead of waiting on one to get there that yall may not like...like wrong color couches, floor, window treatments, ect.....You can get exactly what you want and it shouldn't take too much if any longer for them to get on the lot...just a thought

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
It's a pretty awesome floorplan...i have not seen one quite like it.. have you seen one in person? Sometimes it's not the same when you actually get inside it....what I'm getting at is if you know that's the one you want why dont you just get the dealer to order you one with all the options you want instead of waiting on one to get there that yall may not like...like wrong color couches, floor, window treatments, ect.....You can get exactly what you want and it shouldn't take too much if any longer for them to get on the lot...just a thought
I really wanted to see one in person and compare the inside to the things that we like in the grand design before we did that.

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really wanted to see one in person and compare the inside to the things that we like in the grand design before we did that.

Great idea!

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
It's not the same thing as a gooseneck adapter

No disrespect, but are you going to guarantee the manufacturer will cover any damages?

It's just a simple phone call to the RV manufacturer to make sure there's no issues down the road.

You may be right, but I'd rather hear it from the company themselves. Not that they won't change there mind if they said he's good to go, and something does happen.

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No disrespect, but are you going to guarantee the manufacturer will cover any damages?

It's just a simple phone call to the RV manufacturer to make sure there's no issues down the road.

You may be right, but I'd rather hear it from the company themselves. Not that they won't change there mind if they said he's good to go, and something does happen.

None taken...no I'm not going to guarantee anything...@440hsp call Jaco and ask if it makes you feel better..my point was it is not the same thing as a gooseneck to fifth wheel adapter..the reason many manufacturers will not warranty the use of a 5th wheel to gooseneck adapter is because the adapter adds leverage to the pulling force of the truck to the 5th wheel ....the point of pull is at the truck bed....the Andersen hitch keeps the point of pull at the king pin just as a traditional hitch would.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
None taken...no I'm not going to guarantee anything...@440hsp call Jaco and ask if it makes you feel better..my point was it is not the same thing as a gooseneck to fifth wheel adapter..the reason many manufacturers will not warranty the use of a 5th wheel to gooseneck adapter is because the adapter adds leverage to the pulling force of the truck to the 5th wheel ....the point of pull is at the truck bed....the Andersen hitch keeps the point of pull at the king pin just as a traditional hitch would.

I agree it a totally different system then a GN adapter. Many a frame on a 5er has been twisted because of them.( GN adapter).... Good buddy of mine found out the hard way. Cost him 7grand to get his new 5er fixed. Ouch.....

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I agree it a totally different system then a GN adapter. Many a frame on a 5er has been twisted because of them.( GN adapter).... Good buddy of mine found out the hard way. Cost him 7grand to get his new 5er fixed. Ouch.....
Ouch is an understatement. Geese

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

And I still see tons of people using them...makes no sense to me now that there are more/ better alternatives

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thoughts on this setup for my future 5th wheel? Anybody with experience with it. Good or bad. Let me here it. I like the idea of it being light weight and from what I've heard and seen from reviews, people say they have less chucking with the Anderson setup.

I tried one, replaced it with a B&W, replace the B&W with an auto-sliding hitch. I sure wish I had someone to hold my hand when I first got into this, I made a lot of costly mistakes.

The Anderson is an awesome solution for those that need to often remove their hitch and have a longer bed truck. For those of us that have the 6 foot something bed, it isn't a solution despite what floats around the Internet, I have first-hand experience.

Here is the problem I had with the Anderson in my 6'4" RAM 3500 (pulling a Montana 3790RD boasting a cap designed for 88 degree turns in a short bed truck). The Andeson located the pin weight behind the rear axle which caused excessive chucking. I had the steel version so the Anderson and it could be rotated 180 degrees but that removes the clearance between the cab and the cap eliminating turns over 50 degrees. That wasn't going to work. The aluminum versions of the Anderson can not be rotated, the pin weight will always be behind the rear axle.

I do not have any first-hand experience using the Anderson in a standard bed truck (8 foot). I think many if not all the Anderson success stories may come from uses in long beds.

The causes of chucking can get complicated but the two main causes are; concrete highways where the expansion joints will cause a harmonic bounce between the tow vehicle and trailer and, in my case, improper weight distribution because the pin weight was behind the rear axle.

Just an FYI, the B&W did a great job, easy to hitch up and quite but I didn't have the clearance between the cap and cab I need to make tight turns in campground maneuvers. I ponied up and bought a PullRight Superglide and once I wrote the check, I never looked back.

If you can't get a trailer that has a scooped or concave front cap, you will be better off with a slider.

Even then, the front cap may not buy you the degrees you may need maneuvering in tight areas. I learned the hard way, two cab/cap collisions at a cost of $1,800 each. Yep, I feel like an dumb-a$$, I though I could guage my turning degress while watching all the other point while backing in.

Darn it. It says it's designed to work for short bed trucks.

It will, the results may not be what you expect.

I have a short bed truck and can make 90 degree turns all day long

Pictures please, I have a 6'4" bed and no way would the Anderson allow a 90 degree turn.

I see these setups more often than I thought I would in campgrounds. At one time Anderson stated they would cover the costs of fifth wheel trailer repair if their solution caused the damage. They may still offer that.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I tried one, replaced it with a B&W, replace the B&W with an auto-sliding hitch. I sure wish I had someone to hold my hand when I first got into this, I made a lot of costly mistakes.

The Anderson is an awesome solution for those that need to often remove their hitch and have a longer bed truck. For those of us that have the 6 foot something bed, it isn't a solution despite what floats around the Internet, I have first-hand experience.

Here is the problem I had with the Anderson in my 6'4" RAM 3500 (pulling a Montana 3790RD boasting a cap designed for 88 degree turns in a short bed truck). The Andeson located the pin weight behind the rear axle which caused excessive chucking. I had the steel version so the Anderson and it could be rotated 180 degrees but that removes the clearance between the cab and the cap eliminating turns over 50 degrees. That wasn't going to work. The aluminum versions of the Anderson can not be rotated, the pin weight will always be behind the rear axle.

I do not have any first-hand experience using the Anderson in a standard bed truck (8 foot). I think many if not all the Anderson success stories may come from uses in long beds.

The causes of chucking can get complicated but the two main causes are; concrete highways where the expansion joints will cause a harmonic bounce between the tow vehicle and trailer and, in my case, improper weight distribution because the pin weight was behind the rear axle.

Just an FYI, the B&W did a great job, easy to hitch up and quite but I didn't have the clearance between the cap and cab I need to make tight turns in campground maneuvers. I ponied up and bought a PullRight Superglide and once I wrote the check, I never looked back.

Even then, the front cap may not buy you the degrees you may need maneuvering in tight areas. I learned the hard way, two cab/cap collisions at a cost of $1,800 each. Yep, I feel like an dumb-a$$, I though I could guage my turning degress while watching all the other point while backing in.

It will, the results may not be what you expect.

Pictures please, I have a 6'4" bed and no way would the Anderson allow a 90 degree turn.

I see these setups more often than I thought I would in campgrounds. At one time Anderson stated they would cover the costs of fifth wheel trailer repair if their solution caused the damage. They may still offer that.
Thank you very much for your input on this. Definitely will be seeing many campgrounds and I'm sure there will be a lot of tight turns. Lol

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thank you very much for your input on this. Definitely will be seeing many campgrounds and I'm sure there will be a lot of tight turns. Lol

Nothing like a picture. Did this twice, this was the first collision. :suicide:

2015-08-26%2010.37.26_zpsxewtugco.jpg

Looking at the following picture, there sure looks like amp room for a 90-degree turn but there isn't. This is with the B&W hitch with the pin weight directly over the rear axle.

2015-06-16%2015.09.30_zpsq2bg3klj.jpg

The PullRight Super Glide hitch was around $1300, you can go less $$ if you want a manual slider but keep in mind, you need to deploy them before making a sharp turn, like the turns from the road into a shopping center parking lot (please see the first picture for the possible result). After $3600 in body work, the auto-slider was for me.

Like every solution, there is a negative and with the auto-sliders, they require a plate with a cam be attached to the trailer's fifth wheel. The cam engages with the auto-slider and causes the hitch's sliding action on turns. This cam plate makes it impossible for someone else to tow your fifth wheel like in a breakdown but it also stops theft.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Boss - what are the weights on that trailer? how does it tow? It looks pretty big - The reason I ask is 440 is in question if he can tow a trailer he is after - if urs has more weights across the board and toes pretty effortlessly then he may be safe.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Boss - what are the weights on that trailer? how does it tow? It looks pretty big - The reason I ask is 440 is in question if he can tow a trailer he is after - if urs has more weights across the board and toes pretty effortlessly then he may be safe.

Boss has a 3500.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Boss has a 3500.
My payload is less but depending on what his truck is setup at my truck may have more towing capacity. Lol. Just saying.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
For some reason on the towing chart I seen quite a few 3500 SRW trucks with less towing capacity but more payload of course.