another big brother feature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This safety feature has never been selectable via the radio and don't think anyone has found a way to disable it using AlfaOBD either.
Not supposed to be able to change, it was part of what FCA did after the Star Trek Actor died and a few others did, or got injured when they jumped out of their ride and Got run over by their ride. But U know, someone who is really good with code probably hack in there and find a way to disable. I actually like it. It just removed my capability to have a Brain Moment and not have to worry about truck running away. I do have the Rear Park Assistance Braking and I have had bushes that I ignored lock up the brakes and PPL look at U like U lost yer mind, LOL.. But I's a BOIRD, what brain, LOL.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Lets see you back up onto a set of tire ramps,opening the door is very nice in that situation,beats messing with the mirrors,and then having to reset them when you drive off the ramps,especially if you have manual mirrors.
Bud I have drive and backed on ramps to do oil changes done before I could legally drive. I've done maintenance on my dad's vehicle and my brothers since around age 7. I jumped in that driver's seat at every chance. I've never need an open door to get on a set of ramps. Even the old narrow steel ones not these wide plastic ramps they have now.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
What about backing up while executing some degree of a turn? Trailers don't just go straight back backing onto ramps. Anyone who backs a trailer from a street by turning 90 degrees into a driveway knows this.
I have to back in at a 90 off the street at my place, then straight back 270 feet with a 12" curb on my right the whole way and a 5ft retaining wall on my left for the last 80ft. Then it's a 45 to 60deg blind turn to put my cargo trailer in it's spot. All done with mirrors, couldn't open the driver's door for the hardest 100ft of that if you wanted to.
My dad taught me to back a trailer at about age 10, he said it's a life skill everyone sold know. Spent most of my life working in construction backing up trailers on a regular basis. It's second nature now.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well Canadian, I salute your driving skills. Hearty applause and two thumbs up.

I also salute those who are careful and prudent enough to take a second look on the rare occasions when situations warrant.

Last edited:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Why do you guys even care? Telling someone, who you don't know from Jack, that they have no right hauling a trailer if they can't do it a certain way, in no way adds to this thread. I'm not arguing that it's not the way this sort of thing is taught. It's also not how I do it. I honestly couldn't care less what methods someone on a forum uses to back up a trailer. It literally has zero impact on me. The OP came here asking for help, and help was given (by a few).

I've used the seat belt extender method for years. Like @LouM mentioned, I just keep the extender plugged in and unbuckle from the extender. One of the reasons I've driven with the door open/seat belt off is when driving a new fence line and dropping off fence poles at intervals. Getting in and out for each one is a pain if I'm having to put on and take off the seat belt for each one. With the door open it's a lot easier to keep the tires where they belong when I can look down and see the ground directly while creeping forward, and is especially helpful when navigating ditches.
I set up for the very reason that it is a life skill that everyone should have. You should be able to back a trailer up using only mirrors and visual check at the window there's no need to open the door and look back or look down. Your comment about the seat belt is irrelevant if you close the door it doesn't matter if your seat belt is on or off you can still move the vehicle so jumping in and out is still just as easy except you don't have the door open where you could potentially damage the door or surrounding property. It's just plain common sense which this world lacks nowadays, as people aren't trained properly when their children or in their early teens learning to drive a vehicle. Everything focuses on driving forward with a vehicle very seldom do they put any effort into teaching anything about backing up or better yet backing up with equipment attached behind you such as a trailer.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have had bushes that I ignored lock up the brakes and PPL look at U like U lost yer mind, LOL.. But I's a BOIRD, what brain, LOL.
Bushes. Yes, I mentioned foliage earlier. That's an example where a mirror view could need to be verified by another perspective at times.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
canadianwhatever . I didn't say I was backing the trailer when this happens . But you go ahead make your know it all remarks and "assss umptions" . Thanks to the rest of you for valid responses .
No assumptions bud. I merely mentioned a trailer because that's what the majority of people are doing if they need to open a door when backing up apparently. I'm not a know-it-all I was just actually taught properly. Your intelligence really shows through here with the name calling since you can't properly type my username and you called me an ass. Very classy.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Well Canadian, I salute your driving skills. Hearty applause and two thumbs up.

I also salute those who are careful and prudent enough to take a second look on the rare occasions when situations warrant.
I do have fairly good driving skills, and backing up skills. I will wholeheartedly say this with 100% confidence because my work now requires us to do a defensive driving course every two years because of the fact that we operate their vehicles and they're heavy equipment. My front end loader that I operate is a 1.25 million dollar machine did they trust me with so I understand why they send us through these courses the last two years they have now included a trailer backing up section in our driving course due to a few of our newly recruited labors having small incidents backing up trailers. I am very proud to say that I have aced the driving portion and the backing up portion my last two times doing this course both physically and on the simulator which is totally different than physically being in a vehicle and doing it. Much much harder on the simulator.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Just saw a Buick ad that showed all 4 wheels turning perpendicular to the car so it slides sideways into a tight parking spot.
Self-driving, lane assist, forward collision warning, auto-braking, etc. etc.
Might as well just let the car take the driving test instead of the human.
Yup, it's this stuff right here that's making dangerous drivers. No skill needed to do simple tasks now.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't doubt you are an expert. You doing it on a regular basis confirms it. Now, there are other very competent drivers who might tow on an intermittent or even seldom basis. Sorry but I am not going to judge them for taking another look when they feel the need. I don't actually "NEED" to do a 360 walkaround every time I drive the company vehicle in the plant, but its a wise precaution. I am fully skilled and competent to just drive away, but we double check. I admire those who take an extra step when they feel the need. Lastly, my Dad was a mechanic but an EXCELLENT carpenter on the side. He could build a house from the ground up blindfolded. But what is the old adage? "Measure twice and cut once, instead of measuring once and cutting twice".

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
All this talk about not opening the door got me pondering … I’ve got 45ish years of trailer history. Maybe I’m just lacking confidence. Putting the travel trailer onto the pad was on the list for today. I wonder if I can do it without opening the door?

So here is the setup:
The trailer is not big, 23 feet.
Lay of the land: About 100 feet of backing up with a gentle 20ish degree curbside turn over about the middle third of the run. The pad has a about 12 inches of margin on the curb side. On the curb side is the house gutter lining up exactly with the trailer awning. An oops there would be costly. Trailer tire final resting position is on a pre-positioned 8x12 inch leveling block. There is about 4 inches of margin on the driver side. From the driver seat, in the mirror, I see the curbside tires and the house gutter but spacial reference is a bit wacky due to the convex nature of the mirror. I cannot see the driver side trailer tires while in the turn.

Results: I really did resist opening the door but, nope, could not do it. I opened the door three times. I got out once about 2/3rds into it to assure I was lined up correctly relative to the gutter. Again at about 3/4 in to assure that my correction was accurate. And again at about 99.9% to assure I was centered on the leveling block. I'll take credit for this though: Any time while in motion, the door was closed.

There you have it. 45 years and I’m still not that good. I'll admit I'm a bit envious of those of you who can masterfully accomplish this without opening the door.
There's a big difference here when comparing what you did and what some of these other guys are talking about. You physically got out of the truck and went and checked your blind spots correct? You didn't open the door and lean out to see your tires correct? There's absolutely nothing wrong jumping out walking back to look behind your trailer, what I'm talking about are the guys that need to open the door and lean out of the cab to see the tires or whatever on their truck or trailer when backing up when in reality all you need to do is check your mirrors and backup confidently. If you were a completely jumping out of the cab to go check you're already taking off a seat belt you're already opening the door and hopefully you would have put it in park. The complaint with this dummy feature of nothing allowing you to back up with the door open only really affects the guys that are just leaning out of the cab because the vehicle is still in motion according to the transmission and they are still in the seat if you close the door completely rather you're wearing a seatbelt or not you can still back up as long as the door is closed

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I feel so lucky to have canadiankodiak here to bless us with his wisdom on how to drive, back up trailers, and shower us with his knowledge about all things driving. Thank you for your existence. Praise the heavens above you're here to tell us how it is and how all of us should drive. I honestly don't know how I've been able to drive accident free for more than 40 years up to this point. It's time for all of us to go back to driving school and learn the canadiankodiak way of driving.

Sorry, but your bragging tells me you're not all you think you are.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I don't doubt you are an expert. You doing it on a regular basis confirms it. Now, there are other very competent drivers who might tow on an intermittent or even seldom basis. Sorry but I am not going to judge them for taking another look when they feel the need. I don't actually "NEED" to do a 360 walkaround every time I drive the company vehicle in the plant, but its a wise precaution. I am fully skilled and competent to just drive away, but we double check. I admire those who take an extra step when they feel the need. Lastly, my Dad was a mechanic but an EXCELLENT carpenter on the side. He could build a house from the ground up blindfolded. But what is the old adage? "Measure twice and cut once, instead of measuring once and cutting twice".
Oh I don't do the trailer towing anymore on a regular basis I'm in a piece of heavy equipment now so I rarely ever have to be in a pickup with a trailer unless it's my own personal use at home which I probably do two to three times a month maybe a bit more in the summer when I'm hauling my ATV to some of the further away trails. But at work anytime we do bring a small vehicle such as a pickup or a van anywhere we are required to back in to all parking spots so that does happen a couple times a week for me, I try to avoid driving as much as possible lol I'll stick to my big loader. But I probably do get a lot of practice with my loader since it has a lot of blind spots and I back up almost as much as I drive forward with that, it all really comes down to getting to know your equipment whether it's at work or your own personal vehicle. By that I mean for example I have a quad cab RAM and I haul a 12 ft cargo trailer, I know exactly where my axle is on my trailer and can see that in my mirror and when backing up I know exactly when I need to turn based on where my axle is and the fact that I have a short tongue on this trailer which makes turns a little bit more difficult. If I was to go hook onto a different trailer that I'm not familiar with I will do a couple of visual checks when backing up of actually getting out of the truck and walking back to when I start a turn because I don't know that trailer and it's turning characteristics, but this is something you discover and learn with lots of practice and years of experience of doing it, and having a father almost literally beating it into your head when you're young doesn't hurt either lol. I agree, it's great the guys are taking the extra look when not feeling confident backing up. I would rather see that then see somebody hit something causing damage as nobody wants to do that. It's just my belief that you should be able to back up without needing to open the door and lean out of the cab. Nothing wrong with opening the door with the vehicle in park getting out and taking a physical look then jumping back in, there are situations where that is necessary. But just leaning out of the cab with the door open is not necessary. There are ways to do it without leaning out of the cab.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I feel so lucky to have canadiankodiak here to bless us with his wisdom on how to drive, back up trailers, and shower us with his knowledge about all things driving. Thank you for your existence. Praise the heavens above you're here to tell us how it is and how all of us should drive. I honestly don't know how I've been able to drive accident free for more than 40 years up to this point. It's time for all of us to go back to driving school and learn the canadiankodiak way of driving.

Sorry, but your bragging tells me you're not all you think you are.
Well bud I hate to tell you but there's no bragging. I have never claimed to be a perfectionist or an expert. I've only stated simple facts. The fact that you can't take a little bit of criticism and that you constantly have to bash everything that I say tells me a lot about your character. And as much as you seem to want to praise me and feel so much better in my presence and everything else with all the BS that you typed, I'm sorry to tell you but I have absolutely no use for you. Anyone that can be that condescending of someone else on the forum just because of what they typed like I said tells a lot about your character. I would have no use for you on here nor want you anywhere near me in my actual life. Somebody that can't have a civilized conversation I have no use for. Continue on with your ridicule in your posts by all means it doesn't bother me at all I know you can't help it. So you have a good day sir and I will enjoy the foolishness that you type.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Oh I don't do the trailer towing anymore on a regular basis I'm in a piece of heavy equipment now so I rarely ever have to be in a pickup with a trailer unless it's my own personal use at home which I probably do two to three times a month maybe a bit more in the summer when I'm hauling my ATV to some of the further away trails. But at work anytime we do bring a small vehicle such as a pickup or a van anywhere we are required to back in to all parking spots so that does happen a couple times a week for me, I try to avoid driving as much as possible lol I'll stick to my big loader. But I probably do get a lot of practice with my loader since it has a lot of blind spots and I back up almost as much as I drive forward with that, it all really comes down to getting to know your equipment whether it's at work or your own personal vehicle. By that I mean for example I have a quad cab RAM and I haul a 12 ft cargo trailer, I know exactly where my axle is on my trailer and can see that in my mirror and when backing up I know exactly when I need to turn based on where my axle is and the fact that I have a short tongue on this trailer which makes turns a little bit more difficult. If I was to go hook onto a different trailer that I'm not familiar with I will do a couple of visual checks when backing up of actually getting out of the truck and walking back to when I start a turn because I don't know that trailer and it's turning characteristics, but this is something you discover and learn with lots of practice and years of experience of doing it, and having a father almost literally beating it into your head when you're young doesn't hurt either lol. I agree, it's great the guys are taking the extra look when not feeling confident backing up. I would rather see that then see somebody hit something causing damage as nobody wants to do that. It's just my belief that you should be able to back up without needing to open the door and lean out of the cab. Nothing wrong with opening the door with the vehicle in park getting out and taking a physical look then jumping back in, there are situations where that is necessary. But just leaning out of the cab with the door open is not necessary. There are ways to do it without leaning out of the cab.
You must of been a slow learner if your Dad had to keep beating it into your head,lol. :rolleyes: :Big Laugh:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well bud I hate to tell you but there's no bragging. I have never claimed to be a perfectionist or an expert. I've only stated simple facts. The fact that you can't take a little bit of criticism and that you constantly have to bash everything that I say tells me a lot about your character. And as much as you seem to want to praise me and feel so much better in my presence and everything else with all the BS that you typed, I'm sorry to tell you but I have absolutely no use for you. Anyone that can be that condescending of someone else on the forum just because of what they typed like I said tells a lot about your character. I would have no use for you on here nor want you anywhere near me in my actual life. Somebody that can't have a civilized conversation I have no use for. Continue on with your ridicule in your posts by all means it doesn't bother me at all I know you can't help it. So you have a good day sir and I will enjoy the foolishness that you type.
Riiiight. No bragging at all. Simple facts. And you weren't criticizing anyone else. Got it. My bad. :rolleyes:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01