Another paint issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Couple weeks after I got my truck I noticed the paint was peeling a tiny bit next to one of the front sensors on the front bumper fascia.

I was about to go on a multi state trip and I did not want the paint to peel worse while on the road. I tried to get the dealer to start the claim but they had a bunch of excuses why I needed to come back in a week when the right people were there.

So I went to the back of the property where the independent touch up paint guys hung out. One of them razor bladed the peeled area and touched it up pretty good. $20. He told me to bring it back and he would spot repair the area and clear the entire bumper fascia for $100 or $150.

That was 4 months ago. I noticed yesterday more paint was starting to peel so I went to the dealer hoping to start a claim.

The service department seemed really put out that I would dare come in for a claim especially after I had already attempted to temporarily repair it .

They took pics to send in a claim, we will see what happens. I have had major paint problems with a previous Ram, this issue is minor I hope. Figure let Ram pay for it instead of me, I will be surprised if they do.

My painter friend that has been running paint repair for 30 yrs tells me Dodge definitely has the thinest most jacked up paint jobs out of any American made vehicles . I think he is probably correct

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For the last 4-5 years the paint job on a lot of Rams have been kinda shaky. Problems like you described, and a lot of complaints about orange peel. Maybe someday they will redo their paint shop and put out some quality paint jobs. I guess it's hard to verbally correct a robot. :naughty::naughty:
Jay

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
For the last 4-5 years the paint job on a lot of Rams have been kinda shaky. Problems like you described, and a lot of complaints about orange peel. Maybe someday they will redo their paint shop and put out some quality paint jobs. I guess it's hard to verbally correct a robot. :naughty::naughty:
Jay
Talking to a robot has the same result as talking to most wives.

OP
OP
RoadKing

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ram digital imaging finding is my paint claim is a result of rock damage. Basically because I had the independent paint shop at the dealership cut off the peeled paint and do a touch up before I went on a multi state ride Ram does not want to honor the warranty. Does not matter if it really was peeling a bit or not their standard procedure is to reject anything that was touched up. Its not even 3/4 of touch up. The paint guys says he will blend it then clear the entire bumper for $100. My paint buddy out of state says if its peeler adding paint over it will not keeping it from peeling again. I have Ram customer service supervisor calling me later today. Not optimistic this person will actually give a ****.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Is it possible to get the orange peel cleaned up on my truck. I look at my old truck and the paint is nice, but on the new one it's got a pretty consistent noticeable, but not the worst I've seen orange peel. Would like to power buff it and try to smooth it out, but am worried I'll do more harm than good.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It probably would have to be color sanded first. If you haven't done this before i would suggest having someone do it that has had lots of experience--it's not too hard to sand through the clear and then the paints next--not good!!!!
Jay