another possibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I've had a real hard time selling the Ranger and the deals that I had lined up went to **** real quick. I was looking at this truck a while ago, but they sold it. It needed new hood paint. The guy that bought it swapped it the first day he had it, and also locked up the torque converter....God only knows how he did it. Lol So he had it towed back, and got impatient so he got something else and this went back up for sale with a new hood and rebuilt trans. I'm in love with it lol So now that the Ranger is 90% sold, I'm gonna be picking this beast up Monday. Handles great, runs quiet, and NO RUST!!!!! Frame only has surface rust, engine is clean with 161k, trans shifts real nice. Interior is rough...no dash crack, but there's a few pieces missing and broken, and the carpet and seats need to be replaced. It only needs a tiny amount of body work, and new tires.

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Ext Cab

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It has a few scratches and such. But once again, it's put on hold because the kid can't get down here before the notaries close....

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
sweet its a nice looking truck

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whoa! Factory Mopar ground effects. Those are freaking PRICEY!

Clean looking truck indeed!

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whoa! Factory Mopar ground effects. Those are freaking PRICEY!

Clean looking truck indeed!

Are they really? I had no idea. I like em though. At first I didn't, but they grew on me. Like I said before, the interior is pretty rough... Knobs broken, missing panels here and there, carpet and seats are pretty well shot... Mostly just that. There's what looks like should be a vent above the radio missing, but I'm not sure what goes there... I might mod it to fit my CB once I get the truck. The Ranger should be selling Monday, so hopefully Tuesday I'll get it... I really hope it comes through. Anyone somewhat local parting out a Ram? What seats would fit? Could I throw some in from a newer truck like I could with the Ranger?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks decent, there's no vent above the radio though, there's an overdrive on/off button and a cup holder...

Farside

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Long time lurker... registered just for you Muddin' :) (been meaning to register really, this just put me in high gear)

Careful with this truck, and maybe more so with the dealer.
I looked at this truck about 2 or so months ago.
The floor was SOAKED (plus I'm sure you noticed that smell) so I asked the guy if it had been in a flood. He said he did not know but didn't believe so. I asked about the wetness and he said he JUST washed it and didn't notice that the window wasn't all the way up... which would have been fine but it was clearly dirty and the seats were dry.

It may not have been in a flood but it may have a leak somewhere.

Not saying you should/shouldn't buy it... just be very careful. Get it checked out!

btw, for what it's worth, he must have gotten that hood painted because it had some bad clear fade going on when I looked at it.

Good luck, fella!

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sweet, a local! Haha. I'm not too worried about the interior. I plan on ripping it all out and redoing it anyway. Here's the story. A guy bought it a while ago and swapped out the hood the day he bought it. That same day, the torque converter seized and he took it back and they sent it out for work. I appreciate the heads up though.

But yeah, I plan on undercoating the truck once I get it, tearing the carpet out and bedlining the floor and installing new carpet. I didn't really notice a smell to it like you mentioned. Maybe that's why he put the air Freshener in it. Lol. I took a real good look at the underbody, and it looked like there were no leaks. I highly doubt it was a flood truck because it didn't really show any signs to me of being in the flood. If it was, oh well. I'll tear it apart and clean the interior. The A/C doesn't work, so I'm thinking it has that Chrysler problem where the air conditioning leaks under the dash and makes the carpet wet. My dad's work jeep had it, and so did a few of my friends' trucks.

I'm sure you've seen me tearing around town. I have a red Ranger with camo visors and no exhaust. Haha.

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been meaning to ask the dealer for it... I ran it and saw it has 19 reports, 1 of which is trans, 6 are dealer trades and such according to the owner of the dealer it's at. I'm gonna request it when I go for a final drive and possible buy

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
The A/C doesn't work, so I'm thinking it has that Chrysler problem where the air conditioning leaks under the dash and makes the carpet wet. My dad's work jeep had it, and so did a few of my friends' trucks.

QUOTE]

add a good 12" of hose to the drain fitting on the firewall. it will fix the back draining a/c. happens all the time. esp. when you lift or level them.

when I got my 2nd gen, it leaked onto the floor on the pass side. I added the hose and it fixed it. I dont remeber the diameter.

it could also be the heater core.

after my experiences within the past month trying to sell my truck and seeing similar values, that truck is a tad overpriced.

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For around here it's actually not. I'm seeing the same trucks go for upwards of $6000 and more. Either way, it's in my budget and what I wanted. Lol. Overpriced or not, I love it. Haha

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
thats cool then.

For around here it's actually not. I'm seeing the same trucks go for upwards of $6000 and more.

not in your direction at all, but this statment makes me wanna hurl. I have had my truck forsale for 8 weeks. priced at $6k, I didnt get a single call. only hate mail about how I was a douche.

dropped down to $5k obo, I get a handfull of tire kickers, a small handful of test drivers with two low ball offers, and no1 who seems to "love" it except one kid who cant come up with money.

im over it none the less

OP
OP
Muddinginamopar

Muddinginamopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well you gotta consider the 4x4 aspect of it. Up north here they all want it for snow so they keep their values. Not only that, but every dealer I talked to said trucks are the most popular buy lately. So that drives the value up too. Not being argumentative, just restating what I was told by multiple people.