Another question about Headers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sb1033

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Long story short, it doesn't appear that a tuner is available for my truck. That being said, everyone talks about the headers being a choke point, and wouldn't you know, at 57k miles a header bolt is rattling on startup. Its not a problem now but I'd rather replace them outright with longtubes.

Since I can't find a tuner, is the antifouler option the way to go? And if so, what are the long term consequences? (Is this thing going to be running super lean and cause excessive wear?)

Second option being shorties, but the price point isn't that much different for potential benefits.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you look with your eyes closed ;)

Hemifever / Flyin' Ryan / Jay green all do custom tunes for our truck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Long story short, it doesn't appear that a tuner is available for my truck. That being said, everyone talks about the headers being a choke point, and wouldn't you know, at 57k miles a header bolt is rattling on startup. Its not a problem now but I'd rather replace them outright with longtubes.

Since I can't find a tuner, is the antifouler option the way to go? And if so, what are the long term consequences? (Is this thing going to be running super lean and cause excessive wear?)

Second option being shorties, but the price point isn't that much different for potential benefits.
You'll need an unlocked PCM ,before you can tune your 2017.Once you have it,you can tune it via HP Tuning or a Diablo handheld.I'd avoid the Diablo,as it has a rep of bricking the later PCM's.
You can use anti-foulers though,and they should keep the check engine light off,if you're not tuned.I've been running my wifes untuned 2019 Challenger with the cats removed,and using the old school anti-fouler trick,in 10,000 miles it's never turned a check engine light on.

OP
OP
S

sb1033

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll need an unlocked PCM ,before you can tune your 2017.Once you have it,you can tune it via HP Tuning or a Diablo handheld.I'd avoid the Diablo,as it has a rep of bricking the later PCM's.
You can use anti-foulers though,and they should keep the check engine light off,if you're not tuned.I've been running my wifes untuned 2019 Challenger with the cats removed,and using the old school anti-fouler trick,in 10,000 miles it's never turned a check engine light on.
Yea the issue is that there's no tuner available. I've emailed and no dice. It's bc I have a 6 speed.

But that's good news to hear about the anti foulers. Does this method cause excessive wear or is there any drawback compared to properly tuning?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yea the issue is that there's no tuner available. I've emailed and no dice. It's bc I have a 6 speed.

But that's good news to hear about the anti foulers. Does this method cause excessive wear or is there any drawback compared to properly tuning?
Who ever is telling you there's no tuners available,because of the 6 speed is full of crap.You need to talk to a better tuner if they're feeding you that line.Only reason you can't tune your 2017 is because your original PCM is locked,you'll need an unlocked PCM to tune your truck,and it doesn't matter if you have the 6 or 8 speed transmission.I'm guessing you've been talking to a local GM tuner,lol

OP
OP
S

sb1033

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who ever is telling you there's no tuners available,because of the 6 speed is full of crap.You need to talk to a better tuner if they're feeding you that line.Only reason you can't tune your 2017 is because your original PCM is locked,you'll need an unlocked PCM to tune your truck,and it doesn't matter if you have the 6 or 8 speed transmission.I'm guessing you've been talking to a local GM tuner,lol
I emailed hemifever a while back and got no assistance, and the more i looked into it the more i got frustrated, every PCM i looked at specified being for 8 speed so I gave up on it and figured work w/o it. (I also don't have facebook so haven't been able to reach jay green about it)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I emailed hemifever a while back and got no assistance, and the more i looked into it the more i got frustrated, every PCM i looked at specified being for 8 speed so I gave up on it and figured work w/o it. (I also don't have facebook so haven't been able to reach jay green about it)
Track down Ryan Hogan of Flying Ryan Performance (FRP) . You might have to send in your original PCM for unlocking,but i question that one,as there's lots of newer 6 speed trucks kicking around,especially in Canada,FCA's dumping ground for the 6 speed,lol

OP
OP
S

sb1033

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Track down Ryan Hogan of Flying Ryan Performance (FRP) . You might have to send in your original PCM for unlocking,but i question that one,as there's lots of newer 6 speed trucks kicking around,especially in Canada,FCA's dumping ground for the 6 speed,lol
hahaha funny that you mention it, the truck is from michigan originally but sold in canada then came back to the US. BUT thanks a ton, I'll look into it, but in the meantime might just do the headers w/ antifoulers.