Any thoughts about shortages and current dealer pricing? I am stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnwill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just paid $23,000 for 14 1500 big horn with 65,000 miles on it. Maybe putting the money in yours isn’t too bad of an idea.

Mark Cheshier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I believe it all comes down to the dealer and their reputation. I ordered a 2021 Ram 2500, all the options I wanted, no talk about chips, was told it will take 2 months for my order (Mid March.) My order is here already, 1 month early (High School math...took 1 month for a special order truck). I negotiated the same deal I received on my 2019 special order, minus the rebates which are non-existent right now (Nearly $8,000 discount - fair for both parties). If the dealership is playing games, simply try another that is a straight shooter and reasonable. Just my real-world 2 cents, put as much effort into it as you wish to do, but don't feel that you have to bend over and be taken for a ride!!

I tried to get a new Power Wagon but the dealership swore up and down there was no rebates on the 2021 models. I ended up buying a 2018 PW with 31,000 miles on it. I got a great deal on in (book value) because it had a dent in the passenger side box. Wish I would have pushed the rebate a little harder after reading this.

Rick Gabler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V-6
The chip shortage is certainly real. Saw a bit on CNN about it. Between that, the stay-at-home stuff coming to an end, and everyone getting 'free' government money inventories are are record lows. Add in rental companies dumping large chunks of inventory last year so it's not there to feed the used market this year, and them looking for new cars too, it's going to be a tight market for a while.

I still kick myself for trading in my 2017 2500 two years ago (in my avatar), although it was a necessity at the time. I'll never get close to the price I paid on it. But I'm ordering a 2021 Ram 2500 now (mostly same as the 2017). Assuming the dealer I'm going through doesn't decide to play last-minute games when it comes in (possible, but not counting on it so far with this one) I'll get about $4-5k off MSRP plus whatever incentives are around then (maybe $1k or so). It's also taking about a month longer to get built (currently projected end of May). That's in Cali.

That was after several weeks of talking to dealerships and about an hour of back & forth on the lot. But that was also just as the chip shortage was starting to hit and before the inventory shortage was hitting as hard. If you can get a 2500 for MSRP plus whatever incentives you might be doing well right now. Personally, I don't pay MSRP and it's not a requirement for us to get one, but it could be acceptable in your situation even if not preferred.

Edit: Disregard the purchase advice, congrats on the Rebel! Looks good.

Jim Jenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Just ordered a 3500 Longhorn dually fully loaded. Msrp $89k, paying $83k. Should arrive in August.
My 04 5.9 2500 is still worth $18k area with a well maintained 215,000 miles. I’ll sell it when the new truck arrives.

Just bought two new F-550’s at work. Had to pay full msrp less $1k rebate on those, and they came from different dealerships.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I believe it all comes down to the dealer and their reputation. I ordered a 2021 Ram 2500, all the options I wanted, no talk about chips, was told it will take 2 months for my order (Mid March.) My order is here already, 1 month early (High School math...took 1 month for a special order truck). I negotiated the same deal I received on my 2019 special order, minus the rebates which are non-existent right now (Nearly $8,000 discount - fair for both parties). If the dealership is playing games, simply try another that is a straight shooter and reasonable. Just my real-world 2 cents, put as much effort into it as you wish to do, but don't feel that you have to bend over and be taken for a ride!!

I did almost exactly this just before Covid. 2020, ordered, all options, got a $9000 discount. Tried that at 3 dealers before one worked with me on my terms. One offered zero discount, and didn't want to order one for me either. Again, this was before Covid. So, doesn't seem like much has changed to me. You just have to shop around a bit.

Steven Harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I was looking at ordering myself and there’s one truck coming to a dealer near me that meets my needs (mainly crew cab, 4x4 with 6.5 bed).

They have a close to 2k add on for a “complementary 250k power train warranty” with tinted windows, etc.) that’s required.

Window sticker looks suspect because online the engine is 300 cheaper.

I despise buying vehicles, last time it took me forever to find a 2012 F150 with the same requirements for under 30k. (In 2011, I had a binder full of quotes and trucks).

CFBBA200-9F48-45B7-BA97-8CC6067F2B2F.jpeg

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I was looking at ordering myself and there’s one truck coming to a dealer near me that meets my needs (mainly crew cab, 4x4 with 6.5 bed).

They have a close to 2k add on for a “complementary 250k power train warranty” with tinted windows, etc.) that’s required.

Window sticker looks suspect because online the engine is 300 cheaper.

I despise buying vehicles, last time it took me forever to find a 2012 F150 with the same requirements for under 30k. (In 2011, I had a binder full of quotes and trucks).

View attachment 245831

What's the question/statement?

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you find an available truck that suites and is reasonably priced, buy it. My daughter who works at a Chrysler and Ford dealer told me Ram truck programs in Canada are rumored to be gone end of the month. I would trade but my Limited is only a month old. I traded Jeep SRTs about 2 months ago. The 2020 with 11,500 kms sold at auction for more than 10,000 higher than I paid for it a year earlier. This is a long term thing not just a couple months.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
My neighbor took his 5th wheel and parked it at a permanent spot last month. Then immediately sold his '18 F350 and '19 F250 because they were worth more used than he paid for them new. Said he'll wait for the pricing craze to die down before buying a new truck.

I just sold my '17 Ram 1500 sport for a few grand less than I paid for it new. Alternatively, I bought a used 2020 2500 for a few grand less than MSRP.

moxieman77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I tried to get a new Power Wagon but the dealership swore up and down there was no rebates on the 2021 models. I ended up buying a 2018 PW with 31,000 miles on it. I got a great deal on in (book value) because it had a dent in the passenger side box. Wish I would have pushed the rebate a little harder after reading this.
What? Yes there are! They are not BIG on the 2500s/3500s, but they are out there. $500 from Ram and $500 from Truecar... $1,000 right there! Again, not much, but adds to the discount.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I ordered 2 new recliners for my living room back in November (made in USA) and I STILL don't have them. The furniture store told me that I was lucky that I ordered when I did, the lead time now on everything is over 1 year. A year of social distancing rules, lock downs, absences due to illness and a rise in consumer spending are all adding up to a perfect storm. Unfortunately I think the current 'inconveniences' are going to morph into something far more unpleasant soon (like runaway inflation and soaring interest rates). I hope my new RAM shows up before the snow flies again and that I can get a plow when it does.
There's a foam shortage from the summer /fall hurricanes down on the gulf, where the petro-chem industries make the ingredients for foam.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
My buddy owns an heating /AC business, the chip shortage is not just auto, 6 week lead time now for new units, not even hot in phoenix yet. Read an article that this is still a 1.5 to 2 year problem, going forward, Global problem. We are too reliant on the chi-coms for critical components.

JD Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are two dealers that come to mind who can give you very quick quotes on factory orders. Email these two guys:

Phillip Olson, General Sales Manager at Bud Clary in Washington State
Tell him Silent Bob from 5thGenRams Forum sent you.
Cell 360-434-2929 (text is great)
[email protected]

Aaron Ginsburgh, New Car Sales Manager at Mark Dodge in Louisiana
Tell him Silent Bob from 5thGenRams Forum sent you.
Cell 318-792-1220 (text is great)
[email protected]

Send them the window sticker/build sheet of the truck on the lot you will likely end up purchasing. They will give you a pretty aggressive quote for a new build; likely in the 15-20% off MSRP area. Bring that quote to your dealer and say "I have these two offers for a new build just like this truck on the lot. Can you match or beat this offer, how close can you get, etc.?"

I can vouch for both of those dealers. I got rock bottom quotes from both that 5 dealers near me couldn't get within 1800 bucks of on a brand new build. I think this is your best chance at getting to a lower price since they kinda got you by the balls and realistically you need to buy the truck from them to get away from your broken truck. Hope it helps to lessen the blow.

------
Thank you for the information above. Aaron Ginsburgh at Mark Dodge beat the price for a special order that I placed locally by $3,500. I was stunned. Local dealer required a $500 nonrefundable deposit, delivery "end of May", but I suspect later. The Trailer Tow Package is part of the 2/25 Limited that I special ordered. The Trailer Tow Package is now unavailable because of the chip shortage. Obviously, I should have shopped more before placing the order locally. My 2014 RAM is in good shape so I am in no rush. I see my options as (1) Share quote with local dealer in effort to get lower price on current order.; (2) Cancel current order with local dealer if he will not budge on price, lose $500, place new special order with Aaron for a Limited without the Tow Package (trailer brake controller is available, just not the other features in the Tow Package). Mark Dodge will deliver within 250 miles of their location which would be a 4 hour drive from home. Definitely doable. I would appreciate comments/thought (other than the obvious, should have bargained harder up front).

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
------
Thank you for the information above. Aaron Ginsburgh at Mark Dodge beat the price for a special order that I placed locally by $3,500. I was stunned. Local dealer required a $500 nonrefundable deposit, delivery "end of May", but I suspect later. The Trailer Tow Package is part of the 2/25 Limited that I special ordered. The Trailer Tow Package is now unavailable because of the chip shortage. Obviously, I should have shopped more before placing the order locally. My 2014 RAM is in good shape so I am in no rush. I see my options as (1) Share quote with local dealer in effort to get lower price on current order.; (2) Cancel current order with local dealer if he will not budge on price, lose $500, place new special order with Aaron for a Limited without the Tow Package (trailer brake controller is available, just not the other features in the Tow Package). Mark Dodge will deliver within 250 miles of their location which would be a 4 hour drive from home. Definitely doable. I would appreciate comments/thought (other than the obvious, should have bargained harder up front).
What stage is your current build in? If they've already started building it then you'll get the tow package, but if they are still sourcing parts you might not get that. It would be a no-brainer for me to go with Mark Dodge to save 3 grand, but I have no interest in the trailer tow package.

JD Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What stage is your current build in? If they've already started building it then you'll get the tow package, but if they are still sourcing parts you might not get that. It would be a no-brainer for me to go with Mark Dodge to save 3 grand, but I have no interest in the trailer tow package.

Honestly, I am not sure what stage the build is at. The local dealer has not been as forthcoming as he should. I will call and ask that question. Having the trailer tow package is not a deal breaker as long as the trailer brake controller is added. I agree with you, if the local dealer doesn't come extemely close to the quote from Mark Dodge, walking away from the current order to save $3 grand may be my best option.

mamoore9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Honestly, I am not sure what stage the build is at. The local dealer has not been as forthcoming as he should. I will call and ask that question. Having the trailer tow package is not a deal breaker as long as the trailer brake controller is added. I agree with you, if the local dealer doesn't come extemely close to the quote from Mark Dodge, walking away from the current order to save $3 grand may be my best option.
I wouldnt be afraid to walk from the deal. I'd bet your current dealer is going to tell you to get bent when you show him the quote, but its worth a shot. Aaron has been awesome to deal with. I ordered in late March, expecting Late May, early June delivery. I'm flying to Houston where I'll pick up the truck to drive it back.

JD Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, here's a new twist. Aaron and the local dealer advised me that effective TODAY, RAM is no longer accepting new orders for 2021s. Only 2022 orders will be accepted but they do not know when RAM will release prices for 2022s.