Anyone try Modifystreet headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a right and left dedicated DRL circuit on your bcm. If you added those wires to your bcm and brought them to the DRL wires on the headlights, it can be enabled using the alfa as the dedicated DRLs. I don’t know if bully dog can enable that circuit specifically. While we’re on the topic, is the DRL light just one wire coming out of the housing?
Is there room to stuff an average sized hid ballast into the housing (excluding resistors or other add-ons)?
Does the turn signal “adapter” HAVE to be used? For example, if I wanted to bypass it and set my turn signals and parking lights to “LED” using the alfa.
Excellent questions, im looking for similar answers in regards to not needing any adapters or resistors.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
There is a right and left dedicated DRL circuit on your bcm. If you added those wires to your bcm and brought them to the DRL wires on the headlights, it can be enabled using the alfa as the dedicated DRLs. I don’t know if bully dog can enable that circuit specifically. While we’re on the topic, is the DRL light just one wire coming out of the housing?
Is there room to stuff an average sized hid ballast into the housing (excluding resistors or other add-ons)?
Does the turn signal “adapter” HAVE to be used? For example, if I wanted to bypass it and set my turn signals and parking lights to “LED” using the alfa.

Here's what I can find for pic's off the harness and drl wires on the housing

d1c3605edcd7c2ce3505aa58186d528b.jpg

c83d3dfa8e2c52707dc85d681e4179f0.jpg

And the back of the housing

d873043ed37166bbdfcf1f316eb6b169.jpg

It's weird that it appears to only be one connection for the headlights and turn/park lamps . I'd definitely like to the full harness, connection points on harness/housing if different from the pictures I found and instructions.

Edit : pulled this from Amazon in the questions modifystreet had a link

8946510220d413035b924a29b08e6753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here's what I can find for pic's off the harness and drl wires on the housing

d1c3605edcd7c2ce3505aa58186d528b.jpg

c83d3dfa8e2c52707dc85d681e4179f0.jpg

And the back of the housing

d873043ed37166bbdfcf1f316eb6b169.jpg

It's weird that it appears to only be one connection for the headlights and turn/park lamps . I'd definitely like to the full harness, connection points on harness/housing if different from the pictures I found and instructions.

Edit : pulled this from Amazon in the questions modifystreet had a link

8946510220d413035b924a29b08e6753.jpg

Yeah, the pics definitely leave a lot of questions. That DRL harness seems to have an awful lot of connections to get an led to run at all times on fused accessory power. You’d think there would be two 3-way plugs coming out of the housing- one for highs and lows, and one for turns and parking. Hopefully that one red wire is all that is needed to enable factory dedicated DRL. I’ll probably end up buying them just cuz they’re cheap and out of sheer boredom, but I’m curious so I know how to configure my harness. My truck came with quads, but I installed the entire front end harness from a factory projector truck, added the missing wires from the BCM, and configured the BCM as if it came factory with projectors. So, I plan on whipping up some “reverse” adapter harnesses to go back to the quad plugs, while retaining the dedicated DRL circuit.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Yeah, the pics definitely leave a lot of questions. That DRL harness seems to have an awful lot of connections to get an led to run at all times on fused accessory power. You’d think there would be two 3-way plugs coming out of the housing- one for highs and lows, and one for turns and parking. Hopefully that one red wire is all that is needed to enable factory dedicated DRL. I’ll probably end up buying them just cuz they’re cheap and out of sheer boredom, but I’m curious so I know how to configure my harness. My truck came with quads, but I installed the entire front end harness from a factory projector truck, added the missing wires from the BCM, and configured the BCM as if it came factory with projectors. So, I plan on whipping up some “reverse” adapter harnesses to go back to the quad plugs, while retaining the dedicated DRL circuit.

From what I've read in the questions if you have factory drl's you don't need the drl harness. I'm definitely curious on why their is only on connection. I'm real close to pulling the trigger on these and modifying them. Swapping the turn signals to switchbacks and upgrading the drl led.

Edit: another thing I noticed is the one connector is a very cheap one. It's the same one that retroshop used on the v1 projector adapters and the pins would always twist and didn't have a tight connection. I'd definitely swap it out for the one's mouser sells.

Last edited:

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually bought the 2018 style a few weeks ago and got them installed this past week. I love them. The light output is as good as OEM projectors. Adjustment is easy except make sure you adjust them when installing cause you have to pull them back off to adjust them. The DRL module that they include you can use but I personally didn’t. If you have Alfa you can enable turn signal DRLs. They will light up amber. When the lights are turned on they light up white. I’ll post some pictures tonight of the light output and what they look like when they are on and running. I have LEDs in my low beam with out error decoders on them and they don’t flash at all. For the DRL with their equipped module they only hook up to the turn signal light. If you buy a fuse tap it’s an easy install. When the DRLs are on they light up white where the turn signal is.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The DRL driver wire never crossed my mind. I have a truck with factory quads....should I plan on running the missing BCM wire? Or per @Lawsuit11's post, do I just rely on the turn signals to act like switchbacks?

As far as trying them out, they are coming from Amazon of all places, so returning them for refund should be a pretty easy task if it comes down to it.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The DRL driver wire never crossed my mind. I have a truck with factory quads....should I plan on running the missing BCM wire? Or per @Lawsuit11's post, do I just rely on the turn signals to act like switchbacks?

As far as trying them out, they are coming from Amazon of all places, so returning them for refund should be a pretty easy task if it comes down to it.
I believe Lawsuit11’s are the factory projector style as opposed to the ones with the DRLs on top. On the 2019 style, you would have to use the dedicated DRL circuit if you were going to activate them alfa. Since you have the big horn, the dedicated DRLs should be wired from the bcm to the front end connector already. I would definitely use that circuit if possible because I despise tapping factory wiring and fuses.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks.. Did not know big horns have the DRL lead already. Would definitely extend it to the headlight instead of using their adapter.

Might have to order a set just to look more at how they are built.

OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
So wondering, my trucks a 2013 outdoorsman, I enabled drl in bulldog tuner, in daylight my trucks headlights come on automatically. Is that normal for the quad light trucks in usa market? My truck has some unusual differences since it was built for Hawaii and things I never seen before on rams, like a special 8.4a radio without xm or sirius or even the sprint cell module(even has less connectors on back), but is GPS ready, but truck has no antenna or Puck on truck exterior at all. Nav works because I bought a 2015 8.4an radio and connected the nav wire and perfect reception So there's a GPS antenna hidden somewhere inside truck. I really want the white upper led strip to light up during day, I don't even care about the headlights being on.

OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I read somewhere that you might have to reverse the plug to get rid of the error. I have not had any errors on mine, but they weren’t easy to get in and “click”. I was afraid Id break the wire since there is not a lot of room to grab with your fingers.
Ya, trying to get the turn signal socket clicked in was tough, but left side was even harder, should have used bulb grease on it, when I got it to snap in I cringed it was so hard, had to use a flat metal piece to press for leverage. Scared to try to remove them now. Also manufacturer says that the OEM projector trucks won't work with these and they are working on new harness for it. I do love these lights, the upper white led is really bright and looks killer at night. I also seen the manufacturer of all these 2019 style lights(pretty sure same manufacturer Alpharex makes these no matter what brand you get) on alpharexusa site, there is a upgraded version of these lights with I think sequential leds, but not 100%, seen something under the light listing, wish I knew that before buying, would be even cooler. I really thought I wouldn't like these lights since I prefer the all blacked out look, but love them. If they came out with a all blacked out one, with blacked out rings around lights and silver reflectors + sequential and have the yellow lower turn signal have a white led strip on upper part, those would be my perfect light.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Not sure what I'm Doing(lighting noob) I just know I enabled drl in bulldog and now headlights come on in day. Also under lights on alpharexusa look at this one part I screenshot, about light show etc on pro series. I didn't take my lights apart since I used the h7 halogens it came with. Turn signal there are wires connected to a plug like the OEM light on our turns, plug that into the OEM socket instead of a bulb, put socket in light and plug harness in.

Screenshot_20190317_173816_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg

IMG_20190317_082723.jpg

Screenshot_20190317_173549_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

Screenshot_20190317_173559_com.android.chrome.jpg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Not sure what I'm Doing(lighting noob) I just know I enabled drl in bulldog and now headlights come on in day. Also under lights on alpharexusa look at this one part I screenshot, about light show etc on pro series. I didn't take my lights apart since I used the h7 halogens it came with. Turn signal there are wires connected to a plug like the OEM light on our turns, plug that into the OEM socket instead of a bulb, put socket in light and plug harness in.

View attachment 159363

View attachment 159364

View attachment 159366

View attachment 159367

Alpha is alphaobd which is a android app paired with a obd2 reader that allows you to add factory features such as drl's and choose where you want them, like parking lights, low or high beams or fogs. I think their description of the term switchbacks is misleading. I appears that the drl drops out when the signal light is active and returns when off. The other set they are referring to is $1200.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

View attachment 159363

View attachment 159364

View attachment 159366

View attachment 159367
It looks like the bully dog can only enable the high beams at reduced power as DRLs. Those alpharex lights look similar to the modifystreet ones, but has more features, like sequential turns and light show. Like 1500ram12 said, the AlfaOBD can enable DRLs in different locations, although parking lights isn’t one of them. Since the upper white led also functions as the parking lights, the only location that can be set by the alfaobd is the dedicated DRL circuit, which requires bringing those wires from the bcm to the lights. Or, using the supplied DRL harness which I assume would have them on any time the truck is on. The alfaobd also has the ability to add a DRL on/off setting to the radio settings so you can shut them down whenever you want.

OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Will be getting the AlphaObd, nice to have for sure.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
It looks like the bully dog can only enable the high beams at reduced power as DRLs. Those alpharex lights look similar to the modifystreet ones, but has more features, like sequential turns and light show. Like 1500ram12 said, the AlfaOBD can enable DRLs in different locations, although parking lights isn’t one of them. Since the upper white led also functions as the parking lights, the only location that can be set by the alfaobd is the dedicated DRL circuit, which requires bringing those wires from the bcm to the lights. Or, using the supplied DRL harness which I assume would have them on any time the truck is on. The alfaobd also has the ability to add a DRL on/off setting to the radio settings so you can shut them down whenever you want.

Were you saying that alphaobd couldn't set drl's to the parking lights or couldn't be set on those lights? I believe that the alpharex lights maybe the same as the modifystreet one's. All the photos are the same between the two companies

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Were you saying that alphaobd couldn't set drl's to the parking lights or couldn't be set on those lights? I believe that the alpharex lights maybe the same as the modifystreet one's. All the photos are the same between the two companies

Alfa is not able to set the parking lights to be DRLs. It can set the turn signals as DRLs, but since the upper white light is detached from the turn signal circuit, the only other way is to set them as dedicated.
The only difference I’m reading about the alpharex lights is the sequential turn signals and the light show. Like you said, they are not actual switchbacks, but rather the parking light drops out when the turn signal is used.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hard to get a read from the limited reviews... Are the 2019 style setup better for led bulbs or hid?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Alfa is not able to set the parking lights to be DRLs. It can set the turn signals as DRLs, but since the upper white light is detached from the turn signal circuit, the only other way is to set them as dedicated.
The only difference I’m reading about the alpharex lights is the sequential turn signals and the light show. Like you said, they are not actual switchbacks, but rather the parking light drops out when the turn signal is used.

I was thinking that the parking light was what alphaobd was technically enabling as the drl not the turn signal. I used that for a while until I installed switchbacks and didn't like that you couldn't really see the white when it's was on so switched to highs for now.

So I wonder if the $330 version is more like the modifystreet one's and the $340 is the "upgraded" version with the sequential light feature

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was thinking that the parking light was what alphaobd was technically enabling as the drl not the turn signal. I used that for a while until I installed switchbacks and didn't like that you couldn't really see the white when it's was on so switched to highs for now.

So I wonder if the $330 version is more like the modifystreet one's and the $340 is the "upgraded" version with the sequential light feature

Yeah, it’s just sending the DRL power to the turn signal circuit, then dropping out when the signals are used. Notice the little corner parking lamp isn’t lit when the turns are used as DRLs.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Yeah, it’s just sending the DRL power to the turn signal circuit, then dropping out when the signals are used. Notice the little corner parking lamp isn’t lit when the turns are used as DRLs.

Never payed attention to it. Only ran the switchbacks for a day or two.

What I'm thinking of doing, and your input is greatly will be appreciated, is depending on what board is used for turn and drl's is possibly swapping those out for a set of profile pivot switchback strips. This next part I'm not sure about yet. Most likely tying the drl upper section into the turn signal feed and either having both upper and lower as drl's and turns or if possible only having the lowers as turns and both as drl's activating the turns as drl's through alphaobd.

Option 2 is similar but reversed and running a dedicated drl from the bcm into the front end module then to the headlights like factory