Anyone try Modifystreet headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17Dually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I recently installed the AlphaRex Pro Series Gen 2 headlights in my 2017 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW 4x4 that came with factory projectors. Thanks to this forum, and AlfaOBD I was able to solve most of the error codes. However AlfaOBD is still reporting errors B16BF (left front side marker control circuit) and B16C3 (right front side marker control circuit), while the Ram display is reporting a parking light out. The errors only occur when the headlights or parking lights are on AND I use the turn signals. I have looked at all the lights and they appear to be working. I’ve read other posts on here that have the same or similar issues but haven’t seen any resolutions. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I recently installed the AlphaRex Pro Series Gen 2 headlights in my 2017 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW 4x4 that came with factory projectors. Thanks to this forum, and AlfaOBD I was able to solve most of the error codes. However AlfaOBD is still reporting errors B16BF (left front side marker control circuit) and B16C3 (right front side marker control circuit), while the Ram display is reporting a parking light out. The errors only occur when the headlights or parking lights are on AND I use the turn signals. I have looked at all the lights and they appear to be working. I’ve read other posts on here that have the same or similar issues but haven’t seen any resolutions. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks

There is a setting in the door modules that has to be disabled. I don't recall off hand what it is. I believe it's something that would make sense if you saw it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In AlfaOBD car configuration change under CBC I/O Usage, disable the two front door ajar switch usage settings. Those are the front lamp diagnostic circuits.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
In AlfaOBD car configuration change under CBC I/O Usage, disable the two front door ajar switch usage settings. Those are the front lamp diagnostic circuits.

One of these days I'll remember that setting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17Dually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I don't believe that is my current problem

Earlier I had B177B and B177A which I believe are related to the right & left front turn lamps - hyper flash etc.
Earlier I changed to the following:
CBC I/O Usage: Front Driver Door Ajar Switch Usage- Disable

CBC I/O Usage: Front Passenger Door Ajar Switch Usage- Disable

CBC I/O Usage: Left Rear Door Ajar Switch Usage- Disable

CBC I/O Usage: Right Rear Door Ajar Switch Usage- Disable

And those codes were cleared - went away & haven't come back. I was error free for maybe an hour or so - no hyper flash etc.

Now - new & different codes - B16BF and B16C3 which are related to front side marker lamps. Note CBC I/O Usage - door switch are still disabled.

koblesCar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 1st Gen AlphaRex lights, the DRL is only the upper LED bar: and it DOES turn off on the side that the turn signal activates. The other side remains lit. That IS design; take a look at the nose of most cars running a DRL: when they use their turn signal, the DRL drops out, then reactivates once the turn is complete. As for the bottom white light, I have to imagine it can't be lit white while in turn signal mode, so it too is in effect 'dropping out'- but it's switchback capability is really what's taking over. I think the dropout was initially suggested by DOT (can't find where it's a REQUIREMENT in the federal regs, but NYS law does require it) because most cars were using a turn signal light or headlamp in low power as the DRL- so when turning (especially in daylight), the DRL dropped out so the signal light was the more pronounced light.

Here's an article on Jalopnik I found regarding the phenomenon: https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-modern-cars-turn-off-one-of-their-lights-when-1792394567

if you watch the new ram, chevy, and gm trucks they do not. I have also noticed some cars that do not shut the DRL off either. I know why some do it but I also know not all do, as well as the demo video that AlphaRex has/had up leaves the top DRL on while the bottom one switches to amber turn. The design of the headlight there is no reason to shut down the top DRL, with the space between the top and bottom.

koblesCar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anybody with gen 2 lights get a parking lamp out message even after changing all relevant settings with AlfaOBD? Does the polarity of the plug matter with the parking lamp wires?

Yep me. Seems to be the driver side instantly. If I get a chance before winter hits to hard up here, I'm going to flip the park/blinker connector 180. See if that helps.

koblesCar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't believe that is my current problem

Earlier I had B177B and B177A which I believe are related to the right & left front turn lamps - hyper flash etc.
Earlier I changed to the following:
CBC I/O Usage: Front Driver Door Ajar Switch Usage- Disable

CBC I/O Usage: Front Passenger Door Ajar Switch Usage- Disable

CBC I/O Usage: Left Rear Door Ajar Switch Usage- Disable

CBC I/O Usage: Right Rear Door Ajar Switch Usage- Disable

And those codes were cleared - went away & haven't come back. I was error free for maybe an hour or so - no hyper flash etc.

Now - new & different codes - B16BF and B16C3 which are related to front side marker lamps. Note CBC I/O Usage - door switch are still disabled.

I have not gotten B177 since i make the change to LED bulbs, but i do still get the B16BF. Makes me think flipping the plug 180 might help have not had a chance to try doing that yet.

Stu4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a quick confirmation... Leds should be aligned to 3 and 9 o'clock positions, correct?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

17Dually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have not gotten B177 since i make the change to LED bulbs, but i do still get the B16BF. Makes me think flipping the plug 180 might help have not had a chance to try doing that yet.
I haven't got the B177 since I used AlfaOBD to disable the "Door Ajar Switch Usage".
I Assume you are talking about LED headlight bulbs. If they were 180 off would the bulbs even light?
FWIW my low beam are HIDs with relays & high beams are LED. I followed the positive leads from the AlphaRex harness to the + on the LED headlight so I think it should be right.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I Assume you are talking about LED headlight bulbs. If they were 180 off would the bulbs even light?

... I followed the positive leads from the AlphaRex harness to the + on the LED headlight so I think it should be right.

LED lights are polarity sensitive... ie If the +/- leads are backwards they won't light up at all

M² Mods.

tkabrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep me. Seems to be the driver side instantly. If I get a chance before winter hits to hard up here, I'm going to flip the park/blinker connector 180. See if that helps.

I wasn't able to get the warning to go away with anything I did, so I went back to my Morimotos

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've read a decent number of pages on this thread and its seems while you can get them to work there have been a decent number of issues. I'd assume this might be year dependent though?

I have alfaobd. Trucks a 2017 with stock quads on an Express.

Just added a 5th gen style grill so now I wanted updated headlights to match the new look. Was planning Morimoto at one point, and would prefer them. But the wife was asking for xmas ideas and I don't think I can convince her to spend 1k on headlights. So was thinking the Alpharex would be more inline with what we typically spend on each other.

So those of you that have them is it worth the hassle, errors, messing with alfaobd, etc? Or should I just drop the idea for xmas and buy the Morimotos myself?

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've read a decent number of pages on this thread and its seems while you can get them to work there have been a decent number of issues. I'd assume this might be year dependent though?

I have alfaobd. Trucks a 2017 with stock quads on an Express.

Just added a 5th gen style grill so now I wanted updated headlights to match the new look. Was planning Morimoto at one point, and would prefer them. But the wife was asking for xmas ideas and I don't I can convince her to spend 1k on headlighst. So was thinking the Alpharex would be more inline with what we typically spend on each other.

So those of you that have them is it worth the hassle, errors, messing with alfaobd, etc? Or should I just drop the idea for xmas and buy the Morimotos myself?

My fairly modified Gen 1 AlphaRex lights work pretty darn well. I get a weird very temporary turn signal out error under certain circumstances (if the signal is on and the auto headlights go from Off to On, I will get the error and hyperflash for about 5-10 seconds, then it "fixes" itself)

Other than that I like them and am happy about the 1K saved over the Morimotos. They seem to have their own issues as well, so spending the extra doesnt necessarily absolve you.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My fairly modified Gen 1 AlphaRex lights work pretty darn well. I get a weird very temporary turn signal out error under certain circumstances (if the signal is on and the auto headlights go from Off to On, I will get the error and hyperflash for about 5-10 seconds, then it "fixes" itself)

Other than that I like them and am happy about the 1K saved over the Morimotos. They seem to have their own issues as well, so spending the extra doesnt necessarily absolve you.

Thanks! I was looking at the G2 in the smoke color. But the G2 put me at about half of the Morimoto. I'll have to read more about diff between G1 and G2

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! I was looking at the G2 in the smoke color. But the G2 put me at about half of the Morimoto. I'll have to read more about diff between G1 and G2

AFAIK the price between G1 and G2 wasnt very great.

Last year they also did a Black Friday deal on Amazon, 40.00 off IIRC, so you probably dont need to wait long :)

I think I paid $320-ish for my chrome G1 set. Different finishes are a bit more expensive.