Are lifters and cams a big issue for the 6.4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I do 2 to 3,000 amsoil cuz lifters problem s and mds crap on engine ! hoping now with strang code going on then off a few days well see working on injectors cleaning now hope it stops popping up ! may go to rp oil see what happens !

I ran two bottles of seafoam in my 35 gallon tank a while back when the truck showed a code for dirty injectors. Fixed it no problem.

Red

OP
OP
Trap_Shooter

Trap_Shooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I do 2 to 3,000 amsoil cuz lifters problem s and mds crap on engine ! hoping now with strang code going on then off a few days well see working on injectors cleaning now hope it stops popping up ! may go to rp oil see what happens !

If I’m going to have to worry about lifters and changing the oil every 2-3000 miles with the cost of 0w-40 it sounds like a man is better off going with a Cummins or a Ford gasser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
If I’m going to have to worry about lifters and changing the oil every 2-3000 miles with the cost of 0w-40 it sounds like a man is better off going with a Cummins or a Ford gasser.

I dont think anybody would blame you for going cummins! Nice engine, but the emissions systems have issues as well, all diesels do. The ford 6.2L is a venerable engine and I almost went with it but I can get a lot more truck for the money with ram. It seems like the better gasser if you compare the two, but then again I've read a lot of complaints about Ford as well.

From what I've read cam and lifters aren't a huge deal, can be fixed if it ever comes about with upgraded parts as well. I think 2-3 K intervals isnt necessary but it cant hurt I guess.

OP
OP
Trap_Shooter

Trap_Shooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I dont think anybody would blame you for going cummins! Nice engine, but the emissions systems have issues as well, all diesels do. The ford 6.2L is a venerable engine and I almost went with it but I can get a lot more truck for the money with ram. It seems like the better gasser if you compare the two, but then again I've read a lot of complaints about Ford as well.

From what I've read cam and lifters aren't a huge deal, can be fixed if it ever comes about with upgraded parts as well. I think 2-3 K intervals isnt necessary but it cant hurt I guess.

That’s my biggest complaint about the Ford, they are BASIC. Im wanting vinyl, and the Tradesman is so much nicer than the XL or the STX. The interiors of the Rams are great for a base model in my opinion. I also love the looks of the exterior of the Rams.

I’m just in a dilemma, I was pretty much dead set on a Ram 6.4 after the 8 speed was released, until I started reading about the lifter/cam issues. Although I loved my 2005 Cummins when I had it, I’m afraid these new diesels are overpriced high maintenance headaches. It would be different if I towed everyday, but I might tow 10-15,000lbs 4 to 8 times a year.

Last edited:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles can you go using this synthetic oil between oil changes?

Red

That varies case by case. Driving style and habits play a factor on it. I like to go 5,000-6,000 miles but many have pushed it further than that like to the 8,000 or so mile mark and oil analysis reports came back looking very good on Red Line.

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That’s my biggest complaint about the Ford, they are BASIC. Im wanting vinyl, and the Tradesman is so much nicer than the XL or the STX. The interiors of the Rams are great for a base model in my opinion. I also love the looks of the exterior of the Rams.

I’m just in a dilemma, I was pretty much dead set on a Ram 6.4 after the 8 speed was released, until I started reading about the lifter/cam issues. Although I loved my 2005 Cummins when I had it, I’m afraid these new diesels are overpriced high maintenance headaches. It would be different if I towed everyday, but I might tow 10-15,000lbs 4 to 8 times a year.

Pros and cons with all of them, and the cam/lifter issue is definitely a con. However, I am not too concerned, I just ordered a 2500 6.4 because it is a great engine. if the cams and lifters go at 100k I'll just upgrade them:)

I was dead set on a diesel, but I'm with you, the headache and cost was too much for me.

Edit: Also, I am probably just going to tune it and shut MDS off which should help avoid those lifter issues.

Edit 2: This is a good thread on all par.

https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/another-bad-hemi-lifter.168177/

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am thinking the cam/lifter thing is way overblown - don't get me wrong it happens and IMO it is always a lifter failure and out of those I would venture most to if not all failures are the roller seizing or needle bearings going.

I would bet, the overall failure rate is in the 10% or less range.

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I am thinking the cam/lifter thing is way overblown - don't get me wrong it happens and IMO it is always a lifter failure and out of those I would venture most to if not all failures are the roller seizing or needle bearings going.

I would bet, the overall failure rate is in the 10% or less range.
reading that thread I posted, somebody mentioned FCA went with a harder material on their cams, not sure about lifters. I wonder if that is true and if it helped reduce the rate of failure. MDS imo is inherently a durability reducing tech.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Stay away from Royal Purple oil!!
If you're not satisfied with amsoil then switch to red line5w30.

Blue Mule

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Harder cam wouldn't do much to prevent the problem.

Better lifter roller assemblies would.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

Everyone is talking about the 5.7 hemi.
We have the 6.4. No issues to speak of really.
I've got 23K on my truck in 2 years. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w40. Mopar SRT filter. No problems.
If you really want some good info check out the heavy duty section
There's a thread in there "how many miles on your 6.4"
Some of those guys have 400,000/500,000 miles and still running great. The 6.4 hemi is designed for longevity and heavy towing.
Tons of handy dandy heavy duty truck info.
Like I've said my only issue with my truck was the mds solenoids shorted out. Dealership fixed it no problems.
I change my oil according to the evic 10% life left and I change it.
Again 5w40 is the best grade for these HD trucks.
Dont be afraid to buy one its probably one of the best decisions you'll make.
Will I buy another Ram??
hell yes I will.

Blue Mule

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Also starting to become an issue on the 3.6 across various lines
IMO, the oil now days, while better in some respects vs. days gone by is missing a few important items in it.
That and mixed with the rec. extended oil changes (thank you JD Powers) is a large part of the problem. Also people are keeping their vehicles longer.

I think you are onto something with oil additives extended oil change intervals. Oils do not have the zinc in them they used to. I also think the extended oil change is a potential issue, especially with the Jiffy Lube customer who doesn’t know that extended interval is based on a quality OE filter with quality oil. Extended oil change intervals are not bad for highway driving with low hours but city driving with a lot of hours on the oil isn’t good. It’s not just FCA having issues either.

I’m not concerned. I plan to change my oil every 5k with 0w40 PUP and a quality filter. With any OHV engine I believe oil quality and not playing the extended oil change roulette is important.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I keep seeing this in this post. What is 0w40 PUP? Google searched and its showing me all brands.

Red

Leonard Russo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I drained my truck of the factory fill at 600 miles to get out wear metals . It’s been running Nothing but the recommended Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 SRT oil every 5000 miles and factory filter. That’s all that it will ever get!

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I’m looking into buying a truck within the next year or two and I have it narrowed down to a Ram or Ford, most likely a gasser. Seems like the more digging I do the more I find about Hemi cam and lifter issues. Is it a huge issue in the 6.4s?

If you are going to talk about a Ford please go to the Ford forum because no one here wants to hear you. This is DODGE RAM forum not ford and thanks for remembering that in the future. As you can tell I am not a Ford fan. Thanks

Mega Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Fyi I wanted to clear up some information I have read in this thread, the lifter "issue", ( it happens. But it isn't prevalent. [ feel free to show me the recall/ class action lawsuit which had been successful... ])

That said if you research, those that have had the problem have done everything, 5w20, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40, conventional, synthetic, this brand, that brand..... its been tried. It's a possible failure point..... any bearing is....

Don't believe me, do the research yourself.... not one thread, not one forum.... read many. ...

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Harder cam wouldn't do much to prevent the problem.

Better lifter roller assemblies would.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I can see that, lifter def seems to be the weak point. Wouldn’t concern me too much anyway, would still go with the ram because it’s in my blood back from the 82 Ram Van I started with.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Remote start is **** on a cold morning but don't idle your truck. The needle bearings in the roller lifters are lubricated by splash lubrication. They are not part of the lubrication system under pressure, 55psi oil pressure doesn't do them a bit of slippery, the crank slapn the puddle is what lubricates the lifter needle bearing. This does not happen at 750 rpm. My understanding is 2500 rpm are required for effective splash lubrication.

Use quality lubrications on your RAM, don't idle your truck and if you want to extend your OCI send a used oil sample to Blackstone Labs and for $35 they'll send you a Used Oil Analysis (uoa) report and a recommendation for OCI.

Don't doubt the 6.4, don't idle your truck,... happy truck, happy life, with or without the wife. Lol just kidding, kinda

Last edited: