Are your preference of gears a deal breaker for you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
It's a tough time to get a car. My wife is getting the itch. She's finally realizing what I said at the beginning when she got her Journey Crossroad. She asked me if I liked it and I said it's nice, fully loaded but underpowered because it has a 4 cyl. She said I would say that because I have a Hemi. She loves the Journey but now she's wanting something a little more. A Durango with a V-6 is probably in our future. It'll only be a people mover. We don't need another Hemi. But I'm going to wait at least a few months (after November) to see how this whole thing pans out and what direction everything goes.
Unfortunately, I dont believe a few months in the current state of affairs is going to change much LR. I think its going to be a few more years (I keep hearing fall/winter of 2024) before anything major changes but we'll see. I surely hope I'm wrong.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
One of the few complaints I had about my 2019 Laramie was the 3:21 gears and no LSD.
I'll never go that route again...

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gear swaps on these gen 4s require a gen 3 front diff swap. So unless you have the tools to do it yourself Not worth the hassle.

But if your like me and want an easy to maintain front diff its worth every penny.

Only Cost me 800$ all together to get my 4.56 installed with Gen 3 front diff swap :cool:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"All that to say, is your gear of choice a must (dealbreaker) when you purchase or not a necessity."
Yes, a deal breaker.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 78209 miles

OP
OP
Baoluo

Baoluo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone. Really good conversation about different gears and the state of buying used versus new. I’ve decided for now I’m going to stick with my 2017 1500 with the 3.21 gears. Maybe the market will calm down after awhile. Then I will order new with the 3.92’s and other options I want. I’m at a good spot now, I don’t need to buy and I really like my current truck. Just be content. whole lot cheaper as well