Axle install HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
I got new axles, got the old one out and installed new pins on the stub and CAN NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME get the new axle over the stub! I disconnected tie rod and upper control arm and the old axle is completely removed and new one is in both the hub, and over the stub but I cant get it to slide over that dam locking clip!!! Tips, tricks, and magic formulas needed!!! God Bless!

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
Turns out the old clip, which was wore down to a wire, was still on the stub. Removed it and the axle went on, however I did not put the spindle end into the wheel hub assembly and now I can not get lower control arm ball joint separated. I've sprayed it and hammered the schlit out of it...gonna rent a tool to finish I guess lol

Mopar1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well that will definitely cause issues!! Good luck on the ball joint!

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds strange but hammer the post end of the ball joint upwards at the bottom. It will destroy the ball joint but oh well. Press in a new one. Good luck! They can put up a fight.

Edit: hold up... what is a lower control arm ball joint? someone educate me please.

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds strange but hammer the post end of the ball joint upwards at the bottom. It will destroy the ball joint but oh well. Press in a new one. Good luck! They can put up a fight.

Edit: hold up... what is a lower control arm ball joint? someone educate me please.
Welllllll…its a ball joint, just like the upper arm has….

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welllllll…it’s a ball joint, just like the upper arm has….
Ahhhh. I feel like a moron. Confused ifs with solid. Put my tail between my legs and walk away. Appreciate you bringing me down to earth.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ahhhh. I feel like a moron. Confused ifs with solid. Put my tail between my legs and walk away. Appreciate you bringing me down to earth.
Lol haaaaaaa

I guess i can see the term control arm throwing you off into solid axle territory…he should have called it an a-arm i guess.

Last edited:

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
When I did my axle, I just undid the UCA from the knuckle and that gave me enough to finagle the axle in/out of the wheel hub.