bad front suspension components?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
phil frost

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@phil frost

Tough to say. I would trying bolting on another set of shocks and double check your tires. How are the swaybar ends?
Swapped the Fox shocks for a new set if skyjacker just to test... Same result.

I'll check sway bar ends next.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Swapped the Fox shocks for a new set if skyjacker just to test... Same result.

I'll check sway bar ends next.

Check to see if your sway bar is fully engaging. That would make the truck move around a lot if it wasn't.

BolletuH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out of curiosity. Did you torque anything on the suspension while it was suspended in the air?

OP
OP
phil frost

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out of curiosity. Did you torque anything on the suspension while it was suspended in the air?
I did not. However I had the dealer install my trackbar and Drag link. Maybe they did. However the new ones have greasable joints and not rubber bushings. But I can certainly check them.

BolletuH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did not. However I had the dealer install my trackbar and Drag link. Maybe they did. However the new ones have greasable joints and not rubber bushings. But I can certainly check them.

Thuren track bar has a rubber bushing on the frame side. It has to be torqued with the wheels on the ground and under weight of truck. Otherwise the bushing will be constantly loaded with pressure just driving down the road.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
yep Fox replaced them. had the same issue. I even tried a different brand only to have the same issue. I am also looking into alignment specs... since I recently replaced the tie rod, drag link and track bar, I had an alignment shop realign the truck. I am checking those specs against what Thuren recommends... particularly, Caster.

I also have an issue with a clicking sounds in my steering column (outside of the cab). Turns out the bearings in lower steering column are going bad, perhaps a flat spot.
Doubt alignment would be causing that. Thuren recommends 0 toe. Factory caster is probably okay with your set up. Most alignment shops don't have a clue on how to set it and get the eccentrics outta whack. Easy way to tell is to check the eccentrics; are they same and looking from the front is one side lower/higher than the other. Another visual check your in the ball park is the drag link and track bar are parallel and the pinion angle to the front drove shaft is level or pretty close to it.

OP
OP
phil frost

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thuren track bar has a rubber bushing on the frame side. It has to be torqued with the wheels on the ground and under weight of truck. Otherwise the bushing will be constantly loaded with pressure just driving down the road.
I will loosen and retorque tonight to make sure. Thanks.

OP
OP
phil frost

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doubt alignment would be causing that. Thuren recommends 0 toe. Factory caster is probably okay with your set up. Most alignment shops don't have a clue on how to set it and get the eccentrics outta whack. Easy way to tell is to check the eccentrics; are they same and looking from the front is one side lower/higher than the other. Another visual check your in the ball park is the drag link and track bar are parallel and the pinion angle to the front drove shaft is level or pretty close to it.
They all look good visually.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I thought so. I figured a bad spring would cause sag. Wasn't sure if anyone ever has a spring go bad as I never had, so I figured I'd ask. The fox shocks came from Thuren with the springs.
The only other thing I could think of is belt is broken in one of the tires. You say this thump or bounce occurs when driving on hardball?

OP
OP
phil frost

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only other thing I could think of is belt is broken in one of the tires. You say this thump or bounce occurs when driving on hardball?
only when going over a rough patch. However, it's done this now with the last three sets of tires. 35" General Grabbers, 37" Maxis Razr's and now 37" Cooper Discoverer STT Pros.

OP
OP
phil frost

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before I removed one of the sway bar end links I was inspecting the disconnecting sway bar motor assembly.

Should I have this much play in the coupling with both sway bar end links still connected and the sway bar engaged?

Not sure how to get the vid to upload. But I can rock it by hand about 3/8 to 1/2 inch in both directions... Forward and back.

link to video:
https://vimeo.com/701447345

Attachments

• 20220420_160549.jpg
    20220420_160549.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'd have to say that's a hard no. lol. At least mine doesn't do that. I'm sure someone else will give you an opinion.

OP
OP
phil frost

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I happen to have a non disconnecting sway bar from a 2500. Anyone know if I swap them out and disconnect the sway bar motor, are there othe electronics tied to that? Will I have a warning light come on?

Would be temporary to make sure this is the problem and until I sack up to buy a replacement.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Surprised you aren't getting more comments. There were plenty earlier. haha I unfortunately don't know the answer to your question.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I happen to have a non disconnecting sway bar from a 2500. Anyone know if I swap them out and disconnect the sway bar motor, are there othe electronics tied to that? Will I have a warning light come on?

Would be temporary to make sure this is the problem and until I sack up to buy a replacement.
Most likley the SERV 4WD will probably light up. You could secure the motor assy to frame temporarily. Did you disconnect the end links and try driving it? Some do, alleging handling is improved. Seems like you would get a bit more body roll, but a search here or on the other PW forum has discussions on smart bar swaps to a manual set up, bypass kits, etc, etc.

OP
OP
phil frost

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most likley the SERV 4WD will probably light up. You could secure the motor assy to frame temporarily. Did you disconnect the end links and try driving it? Some do, alleging handling is improved. Seems like you would get a bit more body roll, but a search here or on the other PW forum has discussions on smart bar swaps to a manual set up, bypass kits, etc, etc.
Thanks. I figured it wouldn't be a straightforward swap. Some s@@t came up and I haven't had time to get back under to remove the end links just yet. This week though I should have time.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the links didnt wear out. they got destroyed because the mickey mouse aftermarket suspension changed all the angles of everything

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
that end link looks perfect! What are you saying!? lmao!