BAK and Truxedo roll up cover watertightness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gzig5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had a Truxedo standard soft rollup cover on my F150 and I was very happy with it after seven years of use. It would keep the bed dry unless I really hosed down the front corners. I'm looking at the rigid roll up covers like the BAK X2/X4 and the Truxedo Sentry for my new 1500 crew with standard 5'7" bed. Can anyone comment how well these seal against rain? I tend to have golf clubs and other stuff directly on the bed floor that will get wet if the be leaks. I'm also considering the low profile versions of the Truxedo soft roller, but I think I'd upgrade to the hard ones if they perform well.

Octane

Reaction score
I had a Bakflip 2 that I never stopped from leaking on my silverado.It is "shop art" now in my home repair shop.lol

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Truxedo Lo-Pro on my 2020 Ram. When I pressure wash it I get some leaking into the bed from the front corners but I think it's my fault. I cut the weather strip that goes across the front bedrail a tad too short and have bought some more to replace it with.

I had the standard Truxedo on other trucks and they didn't leak. The Lo-Pro should be no different if installed correctly.

OP
OP
G

gzig5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have the Truxedo Lo-Pro on my 2020 Ram. When I pressure wash it I get some leaking into the bed from the front corners but I think it's my fault. I cut the weather strip that goes across the front bedrail a tad too short and have bought some more to replace it with.

I had the standard Truxedo on other trucks and they didn't leak. The Lo-Pro should be no different if installed correctly.

I agree, the Truxedo worked pretty well. I ordered the lo-pro so that the top of the rails would be open on this one. I'll pay attention to the weather stip at the front. Should arrive today and hopefully I'll be able to get it mounted for an upcoming road trip.

ToyHaulin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L v8 Hemi® MDS VVT
Are the roll-up covers the only choice if I want to haul a dirtbike in the bed? Do any covers open to the sides rather than rolling up forward against the cab? Thanks

OP
OP
G

gzig5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Everything I'm aware of rolls, tilts, or flips forward. The Truxedo Lo-Pro that I just installed, removes completely from the front in about 20 seconds, leaving the full bed space front to rear.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My Truxedo Lo Pro roll up cover doesn't leak in the front corners. The only leaks I ever see come from the rear, and are because of the large gaps in the Rambox bed. I've sealed up those areas and now only see a drop or two on each rear corner after going through the touchless car wash. I'm real happy with this cover and recommend it for anyone looking. And like gzig5 said, it's easy and quick to remove the cover. If you need to remove the side pieces, with the velcro, it takes more time and requires wrenches. But I haven't ever needed to remove those.

OP
OP
G

gzig5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you don't mind, post a pic or two how you attacked the tailgate to bed interface on your lo pro. I bought the gasket kit and it was too tight along the bottom and doesn't come close on the sides and at the top. had to hack it up so the gate would close and it just isn't working out. I'm going to start over. I think it is doing OK on the front side.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I didn't have to modify anything. But I do have trouble closing the tailgate with the cover closed. If I release the rear of the cover before closing the tailgate there are no issues. Then I close the cover after the tailgate is closed. This puts the rubber seal at the rear of the cover over the top of the tailgate. It's become a habit and I actually forgot I have to do that when closing the tailgate. Here's a couple pics...

IMG_0224.jpg

Pic with rear of cover open for closing the tailgate. Pushing down on it at this point will lock it closed.
IMG_0226.jpg

Griffey24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Griffey24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What’s the model number on the Lo Pro that you purchased?

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Bakflip MX4 leaks at the hinges and where the rail meets the front of the bed. Spray in liner is a difficult surface to make a water tight seal against though.

OP
OP
G

gzig5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I didn't have to modify anything. But I do have trouble closing the tailgate with the cover closed. If I release the rear of the cover before closing the tailgate there are no issues. Then I close the cover after the tailgate is closed. This puts the rubber seal at the rear of the cover over the top of the tailgate. It's become a habit and I actually forgot I have to do that when closing the tailgate. Here's a couple pics...

View attachment 221413

Pic with rear of cover open for closing the tailgate. Pushing down on it at this point will lock it closed.
View attachment 221414
The trouble closing the cover might be the adjustment of the tensioners, up by the front of the side rails? Mine closes OK, but those great big gaps at the ends of the gate let a lot of water in. The gate is pretty far from the bed on the sides.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What’s the model number on the Lo Pro that you purchased?
Not sure if you're asking me, but if so here's the cover I bought. Unfortunately the price has gone up almost $100 since I bought mine...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B4962C5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The trouble closing the cover might be the adjustment of the tensioners, up by the front of the side rails? Mine closes OK, but those great big gaps at the ends of the gate let a lot of water in. The gate is pretty far from the bed on the sides.
I don't have trouble closing the cover. It's the tailgate. The rubber seal on the back of the cover is just thick enough to make it necessary to slam the tailgate to close it. Which is why I close the tailgate before closing the cover. That allows the rubber seal to sit on top of the tailgate instead.

Griffey24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not sure if you're asking me, but if so here's the cover I bought. Unfortunately the price has gone up almost $100 since I bought mine...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B4962C5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't have trouble closing the cover. It's the tailgate. The rubber seal on the back of the cover is just thick enough to make it necessary to slam the tailgate to close it. Which is why I close the tailgate before closing the cover. That allows the rubber seal to sit on top of the tailgate instead.

Griffey24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Weird thing is Amazon is saying it’s not compatible. I don’t have the multifunction tailgate or ram box.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Haha...yeah I know. It says my truck is not compatible either. This cover can be ordered for both rambox and regular beds. It will also work with the MFT if you did have the rambox, not sure if it will work with MFT if you have a regular bed. Not sure why Amazon's website is claiming that. I bought it because it said it was compatible with the 2019 Ram 1500 5'7" rambox bed, and I know that there is no difference between that and my 2020. There is an option for non rambox version since you don't have that option.

OP
OP
G

gzig5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I find Amazon's fitment and feature detail to be sorely lacking and often wrong on a variety of products. I always use a secondary source for fitment and get a specific model number, then may buy through Amazon if the savings are big enough. Their crappy packaging and damaged products are sometimes not worth the savings and I'll go through another vendor.