BakFlip MX4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im looking to pulling trigger on one this week. After doing extensive online research I figured I would ask here as well. Prob going to do the bakbox 2 as well.

Any issues with water leaking into bed? Do the bed seals hold up?

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
The MX4 might be the right one, but just make sure that the one you buy, you can close the tailgate with it down. My dad has one of the bakflips and you have to open the cover to close the tailgate. It's a terrible design. He hasn't had any leak issues though.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I notice water leaking into my bed after I first installed and washed it. That was the only time tho. Use a heat gun or let it sit in the sun to get a better seal. Water no longer get into my bed after washing.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My BakFlip VP is pretty good about keeping the bed dry. There is some alight leakage at the cab side edge, but is because I've been too lazy to adjust the weather strip there and there is same around the tail gate because I don't care enough about it to buy the foam pieces that are sold to block it.

As to having to close the tailgate before lowering that section, It isn't any trouble and I believe it is beneficial because the weather strip covers to top of the tailgate better.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The MX4 can be down when the tailgate is being closed. I find this to be a critical feature when the top has a layer of ice on it and I need to get into the bed.

Mine does leak a bit. It's right at the seams where they meet the rails. If I open the tailgate after a heavy rain I can see some drips on my BedRug. It's never been a big deal for me, because I never expected it to be 100% waterproof.

UPNO4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie , 2023 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8spd, 6.7 CTD
My Bakflip has leaked since I installed it I am pretty disappointed

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My G2 has never leaked, Install during summer where the sun helped molded the seals into the correct place.

Gibby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed the MX4 on mine a couple of weeks ago. Haven't seen any major water leakage but for the past two weeks its just been rain here. I'll know when I take it through the car was lol...

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a MX4 from January and i like it.
If it leaks, then it will leak from the side or front bed cap.
Check your installation and seal position well and put the drain tubes in the right position.
I think that the only non leaking cover is a full fiberglass bed cover.
Chris

jwilkinson79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My HD leaked, called bakflip they sent me a replacement cover only; which is not fitting quite right..Called again, now they are sending me a entire MX4 setup.

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My brother and I both have MX4s, identical trucks, and both installed them together the same day. Mine doesn't leak, his leaks fairly significantly. Needless to say he's very disappointed.

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
couple tips i found worked with my Bakflip HD..

-let it sit in the sun right after install to take out the creases from packaging.
-go to a hardware store and buy hose clamps to hold the drainage tubes in place
-buy a rubber gasket to line around the tailgate

also if your stake pockets are not sealed with anything they are direct holes into your box. if you need it water tight youll have to fill those holes too.

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
sorry for the double post here but i havent seen a good tonneau that the tailgate can close with it down. i found it made the seal to the top of the tailgate better and was really not that big an issue for me to lift it up and close the tailgate. i also live in canada with -30C temperatures and had no freezing issues

Mlebwill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
The MX4 is a great cover, and the ability to close the gate with the top down is awesome. I have had it for 3 weeks now and haven't had any noticeable leaks, but it is raining pretty good tonight and will give it a solid once over tomorrow.

I have convinced my 15 year old that the next time it needs a quick bath at fill-up, he will be riding in bed through the wash. ******** will do almost anything for $5..., I'll let you know how that goes.

Mike

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have not had the best luck with the hing seals on my Mx4, 2 have shrunk leaving a gap in less that a year, along with the previous warrantied covers.

Their customer service is excellent and they do everything they can to make it right.

(BTW, the MX4 dents very easy, watch out for that)

JF2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has a small leak but I think it's because I'm leveled and the rails are supposed to drain to the front. If they fill too quickly a little leaks in the rear. No big deal for me anyways.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have a preference, or some insight, between the MX4 and the F1?

I have had both the Fibermax and F1, both will fade (had 3, all faded and were warrantied).

The MX4 seems to dent very easy, at least on my truck and I don't use it allot)

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
the mx4 looks great, but i would get the f1 or the fibermax because they will not dent

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm happy with the mx4 so far. Only had it about 6 months so far, but no issues. Minor leaking at the tailgate when it was first installed, but have not noticed anything since. But minor leaks would not be much of an issue for me anyway, so not a big deal.