Ball joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cody mummert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a squeak on the drivers side when turning and suspension travel and I cant tell if it's the upper or lower ball joints . I do have 2 inch leveling blocks on the front. Any idea which one it could be?

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Just my opinion but if you tear it down that far do both.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just my opinion but if you tear it down that far do both.
I agree. However... I had a a terrible squeak like the OP described and only had my lowers replaced and it fixed the problem. I have a bilstien level set at 2.1

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The level block spacers typically kill the upper ball joints in the UCA .

I installed the Bilstein adjustable shocks about 50,000 miles ago at +2.8" and are really happy with them , if that's not an option for you then you could install Mevotech Upper Control Arms , they are not expensive and have a greasable ball joint and have a good reputation with the Ram trucks with level kits . I've had them on my truck for 50k with no issues [emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Before you go disassembling or changing control arms, have someone articulate the front end or jump on the running board to pinpoint the noise.

If the spacers are aluminum, tighten the top 3 nuts an extra 10 ft/lbs and throw a shot of water resistant lube down the strut tower.

I'm only running a custom billet 1-1/8" puck to half-level with Mevotechs, but anything over 1.5" puck I'd definitely plan on upgrading the UCAs especially with frequent articulation off-road.

Last edited:

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The level block spacers typically kill the upper ball joints in the UCA .

I installed the Bilstein adjustable shocks about 50,000 miles ago at +2.8" and are really happy with them , if that's not an option for you then you could install Mevotech Upper Control Arms , they are not expensive and have a greasable ball joint and have a good reputation with the Ram trucks with level kits . I've had them on my truck for 50k with no issues [emoji1303]

Hey RLK how often do you think the Mevo's should be greased after the initial greasing on install??

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey RLK how often do you think the Mevo's should be greased after the initial greasing on install??
I grease mine every oil change so usually about 5-8k ish [emoji16]

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you sir, sounds like I better grab a grease gun :favorites13: