Base Speaker Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgreen107

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay I know this has probably been beat to death by now, but I need some help.

Long story short I have a 17 Big Horn crew cab with the base 6 speaker and 8.4. I've been looking at speaker upgrades, but don't want to add a sub and everything like I had in my 12 Big Horn. I've already tried the Kicker DS Series 6x9 in the back doors, but they honestly sounded horrible.

I need some help in finding a set up that sounds good with a decent amount of bass. If that means adding an amp and speakers, then so be it. But I would like to go the drop in route if possible

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
3 way or 2 way coaxials have done pretty well for me.

I went the cheap route and purchased four Hifonics 3 way 6x9 coxial and then two 3.5 2 way coaxial for the dash. One of the front ones started sounding noisy so I replaced the fronts with Pioneer 4 way 6x9 coaxial set, which sound nice. I adjusted the Eq on the stereo, bumped up the treble, and the mids are set at 2 and bass at 1 and you can feel it pound out the sound. Not a high end set up, and not competition, but it doesn't sound horrible and has some bass.

I will eventually think about doing some components up front, and some higher end stuff with some amps and a DSR1 processor with a low profile powered sub enclosure. But that's money I don't have right now. I still have a Diamond Audio 3 way component set in my cart on Amazon, but haven't pulled the trigger yet....I like the specs on the Focal components, but those are money I could use to pay down bills. Damn adulting sucks...

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How much money do you want to put into this? That’s the first and main question. Grey Goose is a great person to talk to about this! I just did a full upgrade minus the head unit but I went pretty much all JL Audio and it cost me almost $2000 in the end but it sounds great. The Rockford Fosgate DSR1 makes for a great way to add an amp and be able to adjust your speakers tones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cgreen107

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3 way or 2 way coaxials have done pretty well for me.

I went the cheap route and purchased four Hifonics 3 way 6x9 coxial and then two 3.5 2 way coaxial for the dash. One of the front ones started sounding noisy so I replaced the fronts with Pioneer 4 way 6x9 coaxial set, which sound nice. I adjusted the Eq on the stereo, bumped up the treble, and the mids are set at 2 and bass at 1 and you can feel it pound out the sound. Not a high end set up, and not competition, but it doesn't sound horrible and has some bass.

I will eventually think about doing some components up front, and some higher end stuff with some amps and a DSR1 processor with a low profile powered sub enclosure. But that's money I don't have right now. I still have a Diamond Audio 3 way component set in my cart on Amazon, but haven't pulled the trigger yet....I like the specs on the Focal components, but those are money I could use to pay down bills. Damn adulting sucks...

I fully adgee the adulting sucks! Stupid bills lol

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
How is the bass response on these?

I have been happy with it but I did add an underseat Rockville SS8P sub woofer to the system just because but even before that I that it sounded great. I replaced the doors with the 6x9's and the two dash speakers at well. I learned about them from a youtube video from a guy who put them in his ram might want to take a look at that

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had a Rockville 4 channel amp in my boat and it was amazing! Especially for the price. You can find them on Amazon

OP
OP
C

cgreen107

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been happy with it but I did add an underseat Rockville SS8P sub woofer to the system just because but even before that I that it sounded great. I replaced the doors with the 6x9's and the two dash speakers at well. I learned about them from a youtube video from a guy who put them in his ram might want to take a look at that

I'll see if I can find that video for reference. I appreciate it

OP
OP
C

cgreen107

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How much money do you want to put into this? That’s the first and main question. Grey Goose is a great person to talk to about this! I just did a full upgrade minus the head unit but I went pretty much all JL Audio and it cost me almost $2000 in the end but it sounds great. The Rockford Fosgate DSR1 makes for a great way to add an amp and be able to adjust your speakers tones.

I honestly don't want to spend a ton, but even if it is something I have to over time to get the right setup I will

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I can tell you that an amp will really wake up the system. I know Kicker makes one and Grey Goose could probably tell you the exact model and exactly how to install it. I had mine done for my because I travel way too much for work right now to do it myself. I love my DSR1 but it’s not an amp. I does come with an app to allow you to tune speakers or sets of speakers individually. It was $150 I believe. Don’t hold me to that as it has been a rough 2 weeks.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
thanks for the kind words @Elevated 2013

The DS will be fine, problem is radio is just flat running out of power. If you has a good clean 45-50 watts per door, youd really wake them up.
The new 47KS Kickers will fit, as well as the CSC.
But add an amp to get the max out of them. The 8.4 is a good radio, just lacks any real power.

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
Okay I know this has probably been beat to death by now, but I need some help.

Long story short I have a 17 Big Horn crew cab with the base 6 speaker and 8.4. I've been looking at speaker upgrades, but don't want to add a sub and everything like I had in my 12 Big Horn. I've already tried the Kicker DS Series 6x9 in the back doors, but they honestly sounded horrible.

I need some help in finding a set up that sounds good with a decent amount of bass. If that means adding an amp and speakers, then so be it. But I would like to go the drop in route if possible

I installed the Kicker DS 6x9 series in all 4 doors of my truck. Running stock head unit and no amp and they sound fantastic. I actually had to take the passengers rear door panel off and sure it up because the increase in base was making it rattle. Not to sound disrespectful but do you have them wired right? If they sound that badly I'm guessing something else is going on, I've never seen a bad review on these speakers.

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i did the mopar kicker speakers (totally plug and play) and it made a huge difference.

77KICK28AB and 77KICK41

I did this as well. If you shop those part #s a little, you can often find them a little cheaper.

I still would like to add an all-in-one powered sub eventually to increase some bass.

-DK

Top-Hat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the Mopar Kicker upgrade kits in my 2017 shortly after I bought it. It is huge improvement with good base response, and easy to install. If you don't want to go crazy with aftermarket components, this could be enough.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also installed the Mopar Kicker speakers and I love them. The stock 6 speaker system really wasn't that bad for what it was but I was really surprised how much better the Mopar Kicker system sounds.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

cam101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My recommendation is buy some coaxils for your rear doors. You were speaking about the components like Focal and Diamond audio. I would save more money until your able to purchase. Instead of using the coaxils in the rear doors use them up front for right now. When your anle to get the components you can move them to the rear doors. I know you will need to get a DSP to use for your amplifier. The DSP will work in between the factory radio and amllifiers. Adulting is hard but if you can plan and budget carefully you can get what you want.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk