Battery issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squadco343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
2015 Ram 1500 SLT QC 5.7L 2WD, 147K miles

Battery replaced in 2019 @ 90K miles

Got a battery light this AM. No struggle or hesitation at crank. Drove to work 25 miles.

Checked with meter 12.7 V off, 14.4 running

Battery light still on, will recheck this afternoon.
No signs of corrosion, connections on/around battery all tight.

Thoughts?

Will take to O'Reilly's for load test tonight.
Usally a battery light indicates a bad alternator (bad diode).

khancock70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Last January 1st, I drove through all that mess from the Texas Panhandle into ABQ. After letting my truck sit in 20 degree weather, it started right up the following morning (damnit, because I would've gotten a pair of Costco H7 AGM batteries installed.

Flash forward two weeks, and I couldn't even jump start it with one truck, it took two (2016 Ram 3500 w/6.7). So, I took the plunge and had Batteries Plus order me two of their X2 Power batteries (Formerly Northstar). The CAs between the two batteries that I pulled off were not even equal to what one of them should've been putting out

Bottom line, even though it's only been six minutes months, and having driven through 110 degree Texas heat, I have no complaints. I will let y'all know when they start to fail.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Could it be more the humidity or salt air that poses the greatest problems for batteries/charging systems in Florida?
Why is it that anytime I use the word "average", people need a drawing of a bell curve with an explaination of all the data that goes into it? Average = not all of them. Some get more, some get less...Yours got more...Doesn't change the statement. :rolleyes: Heat is the issue.

FAAQ2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 L Diesel
Batteries even new ones can have a and cell and if they do they will fail sooner or later. !

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My last two new trucks batteries lasted 8 yrs for the 04 , 7 yrs for the 14 . In south fla, so not to sure about heat killing them early. i may be the exception.

Msko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don’t overthink it. Hv a 2015 outdoorsman. 90,000 and just replaced 2nd battery. Batteries aren’t what they used to be. Replaced with agm battery $185 at costco for Interstate battery. Did same thing with my durango. Goin on 6 yrs on that agm battery. You get what you pay for.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FYI, there’s only 2 or 3 companies that makes batteries. They are all the same just in different labels, recommend shopping by getting the best warranty for the lowest price.

Yes and no. The more premium (expensive) batteries weight more due to thicker materials and more support structure, and use brand new materials (or a greater percentage of them).

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Especially here in SW FL, you never really know how long a battery is going to last.

I have seen batteries take a **** at 8 months old, and some last way longer. My personal best is 6-1/2 years.

Going to clean this one up and square it away, and we'll see how much longer it lasts.

Lack of use is not a problem with me as I've put almost 120K miles on my truck in just shy of 5 years, so no complaints. The OE battery lasted 5 years til I changed it to the one in there now.

Dannycameo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, have had batteries take a dump in short time. Definately more chinesium ones out there now.

I just posed a question. Not going to get it 'diagnosed' by a 'qualified tech' unless I absolutely have to. Second, the few times I have involved a 'qualified tech' or dealer they've tried to screw me. So, again, no, not yet.

I also can't just go to the dealer as I have to work.

Getting the battery load tested is next, as it only takes some time.
As another member commented 95% of the batteries out there are made by only 3 companies yet Odyssey Definitely does not fall into that category.
If it is the battery then,
Get yourself a ODYSSEY battery and be done with it for 7 years.
Florida is no match for battery life problems compared to northern Canada, Where they/we use these batteries in heavy Equipment to work trucks, in the Yukon they can sit in -40 for a week and a 1/2 and start np, And in the summer right now it's 95゚today here in Edmonton, So that's quite the temperature variance and these batteries will hold up to that and anything you can throw at it.

Last edited:

Dannycameo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The reserve capacity of an Odyssey extreme is a 120 minutes, operating temperatures for these batteries very from -40 to a 140 Fahrenheit

Meaning the average guy will not have any problems with these batteries for many many years and they are worth every penny

Last edited:

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The reserve capacity of an Odyssey extreme is a 120 minutes, operating temperatures for these batteries very from -40 to a 140 Fahrenheit

Meaning the average guy will not have any problems with these batteries for many many years and they are worth every penny
I hear you, but here’s the problem. It’s $388, not stocked locally anywhere.

Advance auto: DieHard (Clarios) Platinum Battery, BCI Group Size H7, 800 CCA, 1000 CA, 140 RC (140 minutes) $220 with a 4 year replacement.

Deka (East Penn) intimidator 140 Minutes capacity. You can pick it up at the retail store attached to the manufacturing plant in PA for $200 with a 4 year replacement.

FYI, Johnson Controls now Clarios LLC. and Enersys (owner of Odyssey) have a past. Johnson was looking into purchasing them and/or partnership etc, research it.

Oh, Enersys (Odyssey) US headquarters and R&D (but no manufacturing facility) is 16 miles from East Penn manufacturing facility and HQ? Coincidence?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Why is it that anytime I use the word "average", people need a drawing of a bell curve with an explaination of all the data that goes into it? Average = not all of them. Some get more, some get less...Yours got more...Doesn't change the statement. :rolleyes: Heat is the issue.
I do know what average means and what a Bell Curve is.

"Key Takeaways.
A bell curve is a graph depicting the normal distribution, which has a shape reminiscent of a bell. The top of the curve shows the mean, mode, and median of the data collected. Its standard deviation depicts the bell curve's relative width around the mean."
And, as I stated in my OP, I live in Arizona. Mesa to be specific. Your heat would be a refreshingly cool day to us. LOL Now your humidity is a different thing altogether. Which is why I mentioned the humidity. Since you have apparently made your mind up I will stop posting on this issue. BTW there is no reason to be as rude as you were, it was totally unnecessary.
Canyon

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even in Arizona, where it gets kind of hot, I got almost 5 years out of my last battery before I replaced it. It wasn't even showing signs of being bad but I was going on a 4000 mile road trip towing the travel trailer and didn't want to chance it on the road. Could it be more the humidity or salt air that poses the greatest problems for batteries/charging systems in Florida? While I do agree that heat is much worse for a battery than cold there could be other factors at play.
Canyon

I appreciate someone who is willing & able to think outside the box. That's how new discoveries are accomplished. Bravo & respect!

The opposing condition of thinking outside the box is somewhat like...

Wait, those with imagination can figure that out for themselves. :cool:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Pretty soon there's gonna be just a single global mega-corporation that owns everything. Based @ a P.O. Box in Antarctica to avoid any taxation.

Two years ago I paid $265 for Odyssey AGM Group H7, 850CCA.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This Odyssey battery looks impressive and seems to be much heavier than competitive brands.

That said, the only H7 I can find at costco.ca is made by Energizer (Johnson Controls?) and is several pounds lighter.

Here's the thing, it's much cheaper & has an unbelievable warranty.
I know which battery I'm buying next for my Ram. :cool:

$289.99 of Canadian $ and the warranty looks like the following;

Energizer AGM & Unbranded AGM​

0-to60 months - Full refund based on purchase price
61-to80 months - 50% refund based on purchase price
81-to100 months - 25% refund based on purchase price

Although this looks great for us more Northern dwellers, I'm surprised I can't find an equivalent opportunity for our more Southern brothers.

Who has Google... :cool:

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I think I bought Odyssey H7 from Autozone when they had a sale late fall. I think that's when they have battery pre-winter sales?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Does the warranty on that Odyssey battery look anything like the Energizer from costco.ca posted above?

Dunno, sorry. Bought it 2 years ago - very happy. Starts faster, doesn't discharge as fast, since I don't drive much due to retirement + pandemic + motorcycle.