Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesle
2019 diesel Truck wouldn't start over the weekend I replaced one battery with a new one that I had the truck started right up fast forward to today truck wouldnt start checked the other battery today was reading 9v as well as the new one so I replaced the other old one truck started right up again. Did I kill the first battery I replaced or will it charge back up

OP
OP
J

Jlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesle
Let the truck run for a bit charged up to 13v let it sit for about 40 min only (not running) only dropped to 12.11v

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A battery at 12.1 volts is only about 40% charged.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I was told by the dealer, when I replaced my 6 year OE batteries in my CTD truck that I had to replace them both at the same time. Since they are wired in parallel, one bad battery will kill the other.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ THIS ^^^

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I was told by the dealer, when I replaced my 6 year OE batteries in my CTD truck that I had to replace them both at the same time. Since they are wired in parallel, one bad battery will kill the other.
^^^ this X2
One of the batteries doesn't even have to be bad. The individual cell within each battery should be matched as possible to avoid self discharge.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
2019 diesel Truck wouldn't start over the weekend I replaced one battery with a new one that I had the truck started right up fast forward to today truck wouldnt start checked the other battery today was reading 9v as well as the new one so I replaced the other old one truck started right up again. Did I kill the first battery I replaced or will it charge back up

Always, always, ALWAYS replace diesel batteries in pairs. Never just replace one. It's a surefire way to just eat batteries up. I'm not sure on Rams, but I know on Fords doing this will damage electronics on some trucks.

Johnnyroastbeef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
my 2019 Cummins just needed new batteries too, so it seems like ~5 years on the OEM batteries is about all you're gonna get. Def replace them both at once like everyone suggested.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
There are testers readily available that will test the performance of the charging system, as well as load test the batteries. In most areas you can get free testing at parts stores.

Otherwise you are just guessing and firing the part$ cannon based on recommendations from well meaning people without the benefit of hard data.

One discharge episode is not necessarily a death sentence for a battery.

Testing > guessing.

Replacing parallel batteries in pairs is the best practice.

Steny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
You learn something new everyday. I just replaced my first battery on my 2016 Ram 2500 last Oct 2022. I bought a new Gel Battery from AAA after my truck wouldn’t start. 118,000 miles. Didn’t know I needed to replace both batteries. Should I replace the other one now, or replace both now? I have 127,000 miles now.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You learn something new everyday. I just replaced my first battery on my 2016 Ram 2500 last Oct 2022. I bought a new Gel Battery from AAA after my truck wouldn’t start. 118,000 miles. Didn’t know I needed to replace both batteries. Should I replace the other one now, or replace both now? I have 127,000 miles now.
Yeah, everyone will tell you the same thing, especially if both batteries were original, Change the other battery now.