Bed Removal and The Puck System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSMITH8505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
Truck: 2018 Ram 3500 dually with the puck system in the bed.

I do hotshot hauling and currently run with a 50 ft flatbed with a 5th wheel hitch. Periodically I pull 5th wheel trailers and occasionally do a bumper pull.

My question: I'm thinking of removing the bed. Does anyone know if the puck system is still usable without the bed? I'm assuming it's attached to the frame, under the bed, but I'm not sure if I can still use my BW companion hitch without the bed.

Does anyone know?
The internet doesn't show any "under bed" pictures with puck systems.

thanks

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run hotshot as well and also have the puck system. I believe your assumptions are correct. GN will probably be useable but not 100% sure about the companion hitch. I’d imagine if you don’t have much in the bed, it’s only like 6-8 bolts holding it down. Just take it off and check it out

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
All five of the holes through the bed for the factory gooseneck/fifth wheel puck system are just trimmed in rubber w/removable cover and there for looks.
All of the mounts for the for the fiver hitch which two also are for the gooseneck safety tie downs are bolted directly to the frame. Found a picture of a factory gooseneck hitch without a bed on, the tie down mounts are just out of sight.DH2400-6.jpg

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Why are you thinking about removing the bed?

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you run a commercial vehicle you can’t run a rig longer than 65’ (truck and trailer hooked) unless you remove the bed and register as a tractor. Also the bed gets in the way if you run low profile 5th wheel trailers.

You may be referring to a different picture but that one you posted is not with the oem puck system. Looks like a Curt or Reese gooseneck plate. Although I’m sure you’re right bc there’s no way the tie down points would be strong enough if they were connected to just the bed floor

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Total aside but I recently read about a guy getting denied warranty work because of his bed being removed. The manufacturer says that makes it a commercial vehicle. I believe it was with the FCA extended warranty but could also apply to the 5/100 initial factory. So, you might want to keep the screws and bolts handy to put it back together if you ever need warranty work :)

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That just depends on dealership. Mine is a commercial vehicle and has never been denied warranty work

OP
OP
J

JSMITH8505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
thanks guys.
The reason I'm removing the bed is because I'm wanting to be able to switch from my Gooseneck trailer to a Stepdeck, but I will still need the 5th wheel hitch set up to haul 5th wheel campers.

Strangely , my trailer has a Goose (style) Neck going from the trailer to the truck, but on the end of the neck is a 5th wheel plate, so it attaches to a 5th wheel hitch.

Since the 5 ft high, 7 ft long neck doesn't allow for any real cargo carrying, I'm giving up 7 ft of potential deck space that I'd get back if I had a stepdeck. This translates to two extra ATV's, and 7 ft more deck space for everything else.

I need to keep the ball for the gooseneck hitch, keep the 5th wheel hitch, and I think the least expensive way is to remove the bed, build a platform for some storage and to remount the extra fuel tank, and to build fenders and turn signals.

I'll also save 430 lbs over a box dually bed.

OP
OP
J

JSMITH8505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
I stopped by the dealership today, and they indicated that the entire puck system is bolted to the frame, and removing the bed won't affect the usage of the puck-mounted hitch.
They did say that the factory made Cab/Chassis does have some extra reinforcement on it, and that the box-equipped factory models didnt have it, and to support this, I saw a website earlier today that seemed to indicate that a factory made bed-equipped was never to be sold with the bed removed.
So, the warranty issue may in fact be accurate.
I'll keep looking.
As it is, I may just have to buy a flatbed deck to replace the box.

geotex1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The puck system is totally independent of the bed. However, as a former hauler myself I want to caution you that your 3500's bed adds rigidity to the chassis, which translates into the actual availabie towing capacity. If you compare a 3500 Chassis Cab frame with yours you will see the difference in the bracing. What the reduction actually is becomes a question for FCA engineers. I point this out because some of the better insurance companies for commercial know this, and if you find yourself in need of their coverage you can legitimately be denied for unsanctioned modifications.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I understand, thanks. I do think going to an aluminum flat bed would be your best bet, especially given the posts about the lack of the extra frame bracing the C/Cs come with.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Total aside but I recently read about a guy getting denied warranty work because of his bed being removed. The manufacturer says that makes it a commercial vehicle. I believe it was with the FCA extended warranty but could also apply to the 5/100 initial factory. So, you might want to keep the screws and bolts handy to put it back together if you ever need warranty work :)

So how does that work for farmers who remove their bed & put a flatbed on it? Total crap! They will do anything to try & get out of performing warranty work.

eladiogomes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought a tradesman dually in January and the purpose was hauling, at first we thought on freight and cargo, but turns out we would prefer to haul vehicles instead, We found out the there are better trailers with low profile that would not fit without removing the bed and it uses the 5ft wheel attachment. I searched a lot and didn't find much information regarding doing this. I found kit and uplifts but they are also kind of vague and expensive, I also have the puck system and am wondering if the puck itself would help with adding structural support to the bed less frame, I am also considering adding some lateral braces between the two chassis main bins. Did you actually do this? Did anyone else did it, or have some photos, videos tit would be really helpful!

Thank you,

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Larger Dodge Dealerships have a Business Link area
When i bought my Ram 1500, i told them that it was going to be mostly used for Business, they told me to sign up for
Business Link & if the regular service area was too busy to work on my Ram, that i could go over to the Heavy Duty shop for repairs. I notice that even in these strange times, they still have brand new Chassis frame trucks over there.

You might go to your local large dealership & take pictures of the supports from the cab to rear bumper
Then compare yours against theirs

eladiogomes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Larger Dodge Dealerships have a Business Link area
When i bought my Ram 1500, i told them that it was going to be mostly used for Business, they told me to sign up for
Business Link & if the regular service area was too busy to work on my Ram, that i could go over to the Heavy Duty shop for repairs. I notice that even in these strange times, they still have brand new Chassis frame trucks over there.

You might go to your local large dealership & take pictures of the supports from the cab to rear bumper
Then compare yours against theirs
Thank you, we are going to buy 2 more for our transportation company and they will be bought already cab/chassis, but we really need to make this transformation.

I am aware that many others have removed their truck's bed and are just hauling everywhere, I just want to be sure I can do it safely to me and most important to the others.

Last edited: