Bell tech 2/4 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone lowered there truck using the bell tech kit only no aftermarket adjustable bars, just the supplied hardware from bell tech. If so have you had any alignment problems or any issues for that matter. I'm getting ready to order mine and I wanted to know what and how important are the spohn bars thanks sorry for all the questions I just like to be informed I love learning new things

rtorres51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 Express single cab. The Belltech kit is enough if you are going to use the truck as a daily driver. I have no issues at all with my truck. If you are going to use your truck on the track, then you need a adjustable panhard bar, adjustable upper/lower control arms, bigger front/rear sway bars, and performance shocks. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Gunz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Here's a pic of my alignment after my drop, I kept front shocks stock and rear SP shocks with no adjustable bars. The guy said he got everything as close as he could and was within specs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 104

The Q

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can get away with running with just the BellTech stuff. Most alignment shops can get you "within spec" except for the caster adjustment. The Thrust angle is "within spec" but really should be zero to prevent crabbing as you go down the road. The only way to get the Thrust angle zeroed out is with a adjustable track bar. You really don't NEED the adjustable upper and lower control arms.

OP
OP
thumperpa

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ty

I was wondering if I could do the pan hard bar first and the control arms later

OP
OP
thumperpa

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kit

I was looking at the Mcgaughys deluxe kit but it looks like most everyone went bell tech

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Mcgaughys deluxe and love the ride and handling after I replace my front shock with sport shocks, the only drawback is the front is a spindal swap and it pokes the front wheels out about .5" or so. I put spacers on the back to even it out, other than that love it. It does drop it a little lower than the stated lowered height though.

Attachments

• IMG_20150905_094037_088.jpg
    IMG_20150905_094037_088.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
thumperpa

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ty

They have a kit like BT's kit springs front and rear only reason I consider the mcgaughy's kit over BT kit is I read and it seems like the mcgaughy's kit does a better job lining the rear end up after the drop without the use of the spohn adjustable bars which is were I'm stuck (do I buy spohn bars at the very least the pan hard bar) or do I wait to buy the spohn bars or never buy them as my truck is first and foremost my daily driver and the car I drive my kids in so while I'm going to do some things to it for my amusement. But suspension is the one thing I won't screw with coming from MX background suspension is key and if I was going to the track every weekend and making the truck as fast and beastly as I could then I would never have asked these ?'s and I would be going all out but with my preferences and only going to make a handful of trips to the track in the summer I'm looking for practicability and would rather put the money towards my trinity tuner but I don't want to cut any corners or put my family in danger cause I half arsed the lowering job

DougM55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They have a kit like BT's kit springs front and rear only reason I consider the mcgaughy's kit over BT kit is I read and it seems like the mcgaughy's kit does a better job lining the rear end up after the drop without the use of the spohn adjustable bars which is were I'm stuck (do I buy spohn bars at the very least the pan hard bar) or do I wait to buy the spohn bars or never buy them as my truck is first and foremost my daily driver and the car I drive my kids in so while I'm going to do some things to it for my amusement. But suspension is the one thing I won't screw with coming from MX background suspension is key and if I was going to the track every weekend and making the truck as fast and beastly as I could then I would never have asked these ?'s and I would be going all out but with my preferences and only going to make a handful of trips to the track in the summer I'm looking for practicability and would rather put the money towards my trinity tuner but I don't want to cut any corners or put my family in danger cause I half arsed the lowering job

I spoke to Matt at Moe's about this very thing. He was very informative. I just ordered the Belltech 2/4 and the Hellwig rear sway bar. Matt said that setup would be fine for 99% of casual users.

Mine is a daily driver too plus I also tow with it. I ordered the Air Lift 1000 bags for the Durangos to help with the rear for towing purposes.

There seems to be some confusion I noticed while researching the forum. The bracket to drop the panhard bar is necessary to change the geometry of the suspension while the adjustable panhard bar is what centers the rear axle from side to side. It's my understanding that the bracket is more important than the adjustable panhard bar.

The upper and lower control arms is what centers the wheels from front to back within the wheel wells. I'll probably end up with the control arms and the adjustable panhard bar but they don't seem like a huge priority for a daily driver.

Also, I'm going to try running the stock shock for now. I've read of a lot of guys running the stock shock on the front anyway. Several others are running stock shocks all the way around.

OP
OP
thumperpa

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good info I too am going stock front shocks but I'm going for the qa1 rears and I too will most likely end up with the spohn bars but not immediately I just can't justify buying them when I'm starting from scratch and need/want so many other things ahead of them

The Q

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I spoke to Matt at Moe's about this very thing. He was very informative. I just ordered the Belltech 2/4 and the Hellwig rear sway bar. Matt said that setup would be fine for 99% of casual users.

Mine is a daily driver too plus I also tow with it. I ordered the Air Lift 1000 bags for the Durangos to help with the rear for towing purposes.

There seems to be some confusion I noticed while researching the forum. The bracket to drop the panhard bar is necessary to change the geometry of the suspension while the adjustable panhard bar is what centers the rear axle from side to side. It's my understanding that the bracket is more important than the adjustable panhard bar.

The upper and lower control arms is what centers the wheels from front to back within the wheel wells. I'll probably end up with the control arms and the adjustable panhard bar but they don't seem like a huge priority for a daily driver.

Also, I'm going to try running the stock shock for now. I've read of a lot of guys running the stock shock on the front anyway. Several others are running stock shocks all the way around.

This is a good explanation for the most part.

YES, the bracket is of the utmost importance when lowering the rear of our trucks to get the rear NEARLY centered side to side.

I say nearly because if you look at the alignment specs that have been posted on the forums you will see that the Thrust angle is usually about .11* and not 0*. Granted that is within spec, the truck will appear to crab (track odd) from the rear. It's probably slight enough that most will not realize it. You can read more about thrust angle HERE That's why I recommend the adjustable pan hard (track) bar.

As far as buying the upper and lower adjustable bars, pass on them unless you're going to autocross or something similar.

The Hellwig sway bar is another nice addition if your truck isn't equipped with a rear sway bar. If your truck has a rear sway bar then the Hellwig is another purchase that can wait.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thumperpa

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes mine is rear sway bar equipped and the truck like I said might make a handful of passes at the drag strip tow my family trailer with quads and dirt bikes and the truck gets 10,000 miles or less a year but I bought it for family daily driver but I love lowered trucks and always wanted a full size 4 door lowered with a good v8 motor if I can get the truck to run low 14's I'll be over the moon and my big thing is this truck has to last me 5 year minimum so the suspension part was freaking me out cause I don't want to screw something up and cause premature wear or just a improper set up truck and the rear seems to be the issue and I'll end up with the spohn bars if they can wait if not I'll get them right away I just figured guys with experience could tell me no BS what the deal is

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone that has not put on a adjustable panhard bar in notice the rear diff sits to the right of the frame? Either my bed is off or my axle is off center with the 2/4. I'll measure it Sunday when I get it up in the air to swap out rotors and calipers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The Q

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone that has not put on a adjustable panhard bar in notice the rear diff sits to the right of the frame? Either my bed is off or my axle is off center with the 2/4. I'll measure it Sunday when I get it up in the air to swap out rotors and calipers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Without the adjustable Spohn bar your rear differential will sit slightly more to the right. Don't count on your bed being perfectly centered either. When I installed the Spohn pan hard bar I measured wheel to frame rail to get the rear end close, then let the alignment text set the thrust angle to zero. When I first installed the BellTech kit I purchased a lifetime alignment package for $149, that way I can go back and get it checked when ever I want.

The Q

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thumperpa, I totally understand where you're coming from. I dropped my truck after about 500 miles on the clock. It's a daily driver and after 13 months has 20,000+ miles on it. I have made two 1,500 mile trips pulling a Kendon motorcycle trailer with no issues.

You'll be fine just doing the drop and a good alignment. When money allows I'd recommend The Spohn adjustable pan hard bar, F-150 short front sway bar links and AirLift Durango air bags.

The shorter front sway bar links help with the harshness of bumps felt by the front end. The AirLift bags are nice for towing and hauling heavy loads with a lowered truck.

If you're going to the strip and want to help plant the rear end, then you might want to consider the adjustable upper and lower control arms. They will allow you to get the pinion angle set properly and help eliminate wheel hop.

OP
OP
thumperpa

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the advise that's exactly what I'm looking for from guys who have been where I am and where I want to end up thank you everyone's advice and help is very much appreciated