Best exhaust for deep sound at idle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCMortgageMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Have been researching numerous threads about Mufflex (14" or 18") and am comfortable that folks love them at WOT.

Question is....what exhaust gives the best sounds at idle? I'm looking for something that sounds great at idle and on the highway.

Thoughts?

jcsedrn2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I put the dual MBRP on mine and it has a real nice start up and idle tone, highway also, mds gives it a drone though but getting use to it.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I think you need to lay out what you're after...

I can't imagine having a louder exhaust on my RAM than the 24" MF I put on it. At 2000 RPM cruising down the highway, you can hear it, but it's not so intrusive that you can't hear the people in the truck. (namely my very young kids) At idle it's got a deep V8 tone to it, but when you hammer on it it sounds nice and almost like a european V8. Clean and smooth without any blapity blap. I did the loud exhausts in my younger days... I'm very happy with what I have now.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
Long tubes with high flow cats into dual 3" with an X pipe is pretty damn deep...makes my garage door vibrate. lol

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I think you need to lay out what you're after...

I can't imagine having a louder exhaust on my RAM than the 24" MF I put on it. At 2000 RPM cruising down the highway, you can hear it, but it's not so intrusive that you can't hear the people in the truck. (namely my very young kids) At idle it's got a deep V8 tone to it, but when you hammer on it it sounds nice and almost like a european V8. Clean and smooth without any blapity blap. I did the loud exhausts in my younger days... I'm very happy with what I have now.
I'm all for avoiding blappity-blap.

@SC: Do yourself a favor and do a Youtube search for Mufflex 14 on Ram 1500 or Mufflex 18, inaddition to the flowmaster link already provided by #Blown.

Youre going to have to live with the system you chose for a long time

OP
OP
S

SCMortgageMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Full disclosure here...

I have some reservations about the Flowmasters, as I have heard that they are prone to rust and don't really allow the exhaust to flow more freely (compared to Magnaflow.) The videos I've watched seem to show that the Mufflex kits sound great when you are in the throttle, but, don't seem to change the idle exhaust sounds all that much (at least they don't seem to in the videos.)

Like you said, Casper, I need to get this right the first time...

Thanks to all of you for the comments... keep em comin!

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2010 Dodge Ram 5.7L HEMI w/Dynomax Bullets - YouTube

That's my setup currently, its not very loud at cruise or highway. I can hold a conversation with no problems. Does get drone when the mds kicks in but thats not a big deal to me. Once I get longtubes ill be switching to full 3" exhaust with Borla XR1's. I like loud though but i also have a very loud Camaro so im used to it.

Magnaflow is to way to quiet for me. Flowmaster is garbage and doesn't flow good unless you go with there single chamber mufflers.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
Here's mine...ice cold start down to normal idle. My pants were shaking when I was standing there...it's much deeper in real life. iPhones don't get the best sound.

3" dual exhaust. - YouTube

Ona4day

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My flowmaster on my Chevy rusted fast and they are chambered so more restricted. I did like the sound and the idle was a little better sounding. The magnaflow is a far better, quality, stainless, product. And with mufflex producing a SS drop in using magnaflow, I am very happy. Oh and WOT sounds better with the MF, or that's the HEMI!

OP
OP
S

SCMortgageMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
I went with the S&B CAI and Magnaflow cat back system (#16869). Very pleased with the sound and performance. Definitely gives it a deeper and "throatier" sound at idle. Getting on the throttle sounds awesome. I did the install myself in a couple of hours (with my 9 and 6 year old fetching tools and parts for me) and I have VERY LITTLE experience turning wrenches. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this setup. Hit up Matt from Moe's Performance. He will treat you right!

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with the MF 24 (cat back system) as well. I love it. Its not ''loose'' sounding to me. Has a nice rumble but doesnt kill me at highway speeds. Ive added Long Tube Headers into high flow cats since then, which makes it a bit louder. But Im still happy, and SUPER glad that i went with the 24. The cat back system MF runs deletes the resonators anyway, so its a pretty good deal. And I second the Moes Performance statement. Great guy with amazing customer service.

Kustomblack1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 hemi 4x4 crew
Engine
395hp
I have the simple answer if anyone is still looking

I have the simple answer if anyone is still looking, watch this video and this you will believe is all you need my friends. I'm digging the NASTRUCK sound, perfect for cruising and blasting the surrounding area! https://youtu.be/5TEik3psMac

768mph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Black Widow 250 and 300 is pretty deep.

Sent from my iPhone 7+

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Black widow Widowmaker, if you want it deep and loud, with a little rasp, tolerable cabin noise, fairly quiet cruising at 75, well built out of stainless steel, and not on every other truck like a flowmaster or magnaflow.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Magnaflow catback as well, love it. Nice deep rumble but not too loud driving, I like that. MBRP also sounds fantastic, but louder.
But for deep deep idle, I think Borla may be the winner on that.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Have a friend that got a muffler shop to weld in a borla in place of the stock muffler. Sounds awesome at idle and full throttle.