Bilsteins with 6" lift question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've searched through a lot of threads and can't quite find what I'm looking for, so I apologize in advance if this is a repost...

Some of you already helped me with concerns I have for my Spring '16 lift project. I'm going to put on a RCX 6" lift with 35's. I keep seeing these Bilstein 5100's everywhere and it has my curiously sparked. Am I able to install these on the front and back to give me even more lift?

I guess I'm just trying to better understand this product.. Thanks in advance for the help!

Adam

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've searched through a lot of threads and can't quite find what I'm looking for, so I apologize in advance if this is a repost...

Some of you already helped me with concerns I have for my Spring '16 lift project. I'm going to put on a RCX 6" lift with 35's. I keep seeing these Bilstein 5100's everywhere and it has my curiously sparked. Am I able to install these on the front and back to give me even more lift?

I guess I'm just trying to better understand this product.. Thanks in advance for the help!

Adam

You only need the front ones, and they are the only ones that achieve any type of lift. They have 5 different settings...0, 0.7, 1.4, 2.1, and 2.8". Measure your truck in the rear and front from the ground up to the middle of the fender. Chances are you're close to 3" higher in the rear than the front. I believe with that lift you'll want the bilsteins set at 2.1.

draken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Depends on what lift you're going with.
Say you get a Zone 6" with 5" rear, you will need bilsteins in front to make it level. IF you get with 3" rear, then it should be level without the bilsteins.

Djeazie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi
I had rcx and my Bilsteins at 1.4. It ended up level on my setup. So I added rear spring spacers. Also if your gonna do the rcx kit the rear shocks the kit comes with are horrible. I added procomp read shocks and it was waaaay better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looked level or you measured? I'd say you still had some rake at 1.4

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had rcx and my Bilsteins at 1.4. It ended up level on my setup. So I added rear spring spacers. Also if your gonna do the rcx kit the rear shocks the kit comes with are horrible. I added procomp read shocks and it was waaaay better.

What spacers did you use for the rear and how much additional height did you get from them?? Doesn't the RCX kit come with spacers already?

To everyone else; so basically if I just do the Rough Country 6" lift WITHOUT the Bilstein's, my truck will not be level. So I will need to add the Bilstein's in addition to my 6" lift to make it level?

Adam

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What spacers did you use for the rear and how much additional height did you get from them?? Doesn't the RCX kit come with spacers already?

To everyone else; so basically if I just do the Rough Country 6" lift WITHOUT the Bilstein's, my truck will not be level. So I will need to add the Bilstein's in addition to my 6" lift to make it level?

Adam

he probably has an older version that came with springs instead of spacers.

Youll need bilsteins to make it level

you should check out superlift though, less money and comes with rear springs in case you want to add rear spacers on top of that

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Adam

You'll be pretty close to level with the Rough Country. But honestly man, I would steer clear of Rough Country. Swapped out a strut today, and as I was torquing the upper mount bolts to spec one of the bolts broke free of its weld on the strut spacer. So now I got to rip it all apart again after Xmas. And the rear spacers and shocks in the RC kit are ******** too!

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You'll be pretty close to level with the Rough Country. But honestly man, I would steer clear of Rough Country. Swapped out a strut today, and as I was torquing the upper mount bolts to spec one of the bolts broke free of its weld. So now I got to rip it all apart again after Xmas. And the rear spacers and shocks in the RC kit are ******** too!

first time ive heard of something like that happening with rcx. just another reason to stay away from it

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
he probably has an older version that came with springs instead of spacers.

Youll need bilsteins to make it level

you should check out superlift though, less money and comes with rear springs in case you want to add rear spacers on top of that

Oh, ok.... I gotcha now. I will add the Bilstein's to my "list" of everything I will need for my lift. While we are at it, any recommendations on where to purchase all these goodies??

I was thinking of ordering the wheels and tires from Custom Tires, Custom Wheels, Wheel and Tire Packages, Chrome Rims for your Car, Truck, or SUV from Performance Plus Wheel and Tire. The lift kit I'm not sure of yet and I figured I could sag the Bils off of EBay.

Adam

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You'll be pretty close to level with the Rough Country. But honestly man, I would steer clear of Rough Country. Swapped out a strut today, and as I was torquing the upper mount bolts to spec one of the bolts broke free of its weld on the strut spacer. So now I got to rip it all apart again after Xmas. And the rear spacers and shocks in the RC kit are ******** too!

You guys responded while I was typing my last reply. I see a lot of people on here recommend Zone lifts, but you're saying to look into Superlift??

Adam

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Oh, ok.... I gotcha now. I will add the Bilstein's to my "list" of everything I will need for my lift. While we are at it, any recommendations on where to purchase all these goodies??

I was thinking of ordering the wheels and tires from Custom Tires, Custom Wheels, Wheel and Tire Packages, Chrome Rims for your Car, Truck, or SUV from Performance Plus Wheel and Tire. The lift kit I'm not sure of yet and I figured I could sag the Bils off of EBay.

Adam

I would get the bills off of auto anything Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks & Struts - SHIPS FREE
Im a fan of them, if you message them asking for the best price theyll probably help you out

for tires and wheels i would check out mrwheeldeal

You guys responded while I was typing my last reply. I see a lot of people on here recommend Zone lifts, but you're saying to look into Superlift??

Adam

a lot a people have an obsession with zone here. But superlift has the same warranty and the same design. Quality difference im not sure of really. to be fair the mopar lifts are re branded superlifts so they cant be that bad.

i got my 6" superlift for $1087 again from auto anything

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Adam

I don't personally know anyone with a Superlift, but I haven't really heard anything negative about them. If I were to buy a new lift I'd go BDS if the funds were right, with Zone being the second choice.

Hard to argue with kg93, I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

Last edited:

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Adam

I have the RCX 6" WITHOUT bils...

I'm nowhere near level.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the RCX 6" WITHOUT bils...

I'm nowhere near level.

What do you think of the quality issues these guys are talking about? Honestly, I figured I would go wit the RCX because of the reviews I have read and also the installation instructions give an illustration with each step.... Which is nice for me. But I'll definitely look into the Superlift for sure.

It seems like I'll be adding the Bils for sure but that brings me to another question. What would I have to set the Bils at to level the 6" kit? I really don't want to max out the Bils if I don't have to.

Adam

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your doing the lift yourself , install the lift , drive it a few miles to settle , then parked on level ground measure the rake , lastly install the bills adjusted according to gasser 's post above , just so you know 2.8" is top ring then increments down like gasser posted .

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do you think of the quality issues these guys are talking about? Honestly, I figured I would go wit the RCX because of the reviews I have read and also the installation instructions give an illustration with each step.... Which is nice for me. But I'll definitely look into the Superlift for sure.

It seems like I'll be adding the Bils for sure but that brings me to another question. What would I have to set the Bils at to level the 6" kit? I really don't want to max out the Bils if I don't have to.

Adam

The finish on the kit could be a lil nicer. But as far as the kit doing what it is designed to do? I don't have any complaints.

I haven't had any problems with any components.

As for bils....I've gotten mixed feedback from a few people. Some say 2.8...others say 2.1 to be level.

I personally will probably max those ******* out.