Black vs other colors.. need opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another “never buy another black vehicle”.....but I did.

That’s what happened when I bought my Taurus after owning 3 other black vehicles. After seeing it no other color compared.

Clean black vehicles mesmerize

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lights_out

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had several black vehicles over the years. Yes they are a full time job but dang it, they look so good clean. I've been detailing cars for years so I'm used to the upkeep, it is what it is. Brought home a Big Horn Black last week, I'm ceramic coating it this weekend. Which will require some paint correction, damn thing has minor swirls right off of the lot, but that was expected.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just got rid of my ceramic coated black car. As others have said it’s a full time non paying job lol.

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thing has minor swirls right off of the lot, but that was expected.

Have you seen how they “wash” on the lot? I’m surprised the filthy towel and water spritz didn’t do more damage.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had no preference when it came to color other then black when I was shopping for a used ram. I use to detail cars and hated every time a black vehicle would come in just knowing how much extra work it was going to require. I love the look of clean black vehicles but the upkeep is ridiculous. Only way I would ever buy a black vehicle if it was was discounted a lot for me to say ehh I’ll deal with the headache lol.

My advice if you do go black and have someone professional detail and ceramic coat it for you to make keeping it clean and cleaning it easier. If done right a lot of times you can just use a hose without the nozzle to wash it off. The less you have to touch it the easier it is to keep it clean and looking good for longer. Using something like the metro master blaster jr to dry it or a leaf blower (use it only for this purpose, don’t use it in the yard) helps also

Car washes are a no no. Use touch less if you must but hand washing using the two bucket method is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll throw my vote into the never again group...for my area in particular where its very rainy/snowy and we have very hard water, its impossible to keep clean and when it is clean, it wont be for more than a day or two. Just not worth it around here. I agree it looks awesome when all cleaned up, but considering the easiest I could keep it clean was with a touchless car wash pass and then hand drying it 3-4 times, vs my red where I can just take it through the same wash and not hand dry at all and it looks great.

John813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didn't necessarily want black, but still got it. Have a love hate relationship with black.

Washed and waxed it saturday and of course it rains tuesday and it got dirty.

Think the only color I would of gone over black was the max steel or ivory white, but no dealer had them in stock.

Lights_out

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you seen how they “wash” on the lot? I’m surprised the filthy towel and water spritz didn’t do more damage.

My god YES!

In fact....that's how I learned detailing, I worked at a Ford dealership as a teenager. And I knew better, but when the boss says, go out on the lot with a brush, hose and bucket and start "washing" the cars (in the hot sun no less), you gotta go do it. Those rough brushes on dark colored brand new cars, that were dirty from sitting on the lot......gives me the heeby jeebies. I worked there for 2 years, and learned a lot though, made good friends with the painter in the body shop. Learned by experimenting on older vehicles they took in on trade.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Black is a full time job! For ease of up keep silver or white. However nothing looks as good as a black truck.

Without knowing your wash routine the swirl mark appearance is hard to advise. If you patronize washes with spinning brushes it will start scratching with the first wash

^ This

Mehgyver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
If I'd seen one I might have picked a white one with color matched grill, would have to replace the badging with black badges after the fact probably though

AnthonyD1978

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
I owned a black car about 20 years ago. Never again.

Best looking color for sure, but only for about the first 5 minutes after a detail.

Frank Bailey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Got the black Limited and from the way it looked I said I’ll deal with the maintenance. I go to The Wash Tub, a car was service here, several times a week to include hand wash. When I’m done it feels totally worth it.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Bought a black Limited. Granted I have only really had it about a week and a half since I bought it in June but my current loaner is a black Laramie and I think I can safely say that I would not buy a black vehicle again. Looks great after a wash but I basically added $25 a month to my payment to have the unlimited car wash package down the street.

alow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have Black Forest Green which is black in everything but direct sunlight. I got it because I loved the color and I was tired of settling for what was on the lot. It makes me happy everytime it shines. I looked up a no streak wash process due to spraying it off and having waterspots everywhere and came up with the following.

Spray and soap with a foamy no streak wash.
Blow all water off with a leafblower.

Thats it really, about $50 upfront investment but it works just fine.

Carl Stuart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 1500 is Black with chrome looks great I ceramic coated it and its a breeze to clean, but looks bad when its dirty.

Heatman13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 longhorn
Engine
my 1500 is black and I love it looks good clean but bad dirty like any other car or truckIMG_0506A.jpg

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is a truck. I use it like a truck. I'm never going to detail it. Ever. If it's really dirty, I'll go through a car wash. I'm sure I could spend a ton of time keeping it pristine, but I'd rather spend my time doing other things. Some day when I'm on my death bed and looking back at what I did during my life, incessant work to keep a truck shiny probably won't make the top 10. I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a beautiful black truck at one of the dealers near me, 2019 sport package. I love the color, but I am a bit concerned about the upkeep due to the fact that black gets dirty quickly. I would like to hear from owners who have black trucks or considered buying black trucks.

Why did you buy or did not buy black?

How much of effort is required to keep it in top shape?

Do you take it to car wash or hand wash?

Do you have swirl marks after several washes?

Would you consider buying black again?

I've owned two black 4th gen Rams. I now own a silver 5th gen (2019) Ram. Black makes just about any model car or truck look better, in my opinion. But they get dirty almost as quickly as white and it doesn't take long for the swirl marks to show up (remember, black absorbs light). If you're fairly young, have better than average time on your hands, and like hand washing and waxing a vehicle, go for it.

If it wasn't for the cost, if I ever wanted another black vehicle I'd strongly consider a full installation of plastic film (called a "wrap") on the vehicle. From what I've seen those hold up extremely well to everyday abrasion and provide some stone chip protection as well.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 001504 miles.