I Gotta Ask...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I made the mistake of parking too close to a steel target. Both pax doors have chips from spalling and even pulled a piece of Brass or copper jacket out of the headliner. I also shot 5 holes in the side of the bed on the pax side. I bought it to pull our 5th wheel but that didn't work out so now it's a daily driver I've got about 30,500 miles on it and it's a 2015.

melvingeraldmesse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When my old farm truck died I traded in my challenger SRT to get a new Power Wagon. Its my daily driver and my farm truck. You would be surprised how many bags of hog feed will fit in the trunk of a challenger though.

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I bought my 2500 tradesman as a tow rig for my travel trailer but it’s my daily driver work truck. I wash it every chance I get and clean the inside every week. I’ve done personalized upgrades, mainly protection things that add some looks. If money was no option and I didn’t need a truck for work, I’d still have a truck and yes lots of bells and whistles and care taken to keep it looking and feeling good. It’s annoying how concerned people are with what a guy does with his truck. I swear some guys beat on their truck just to prove need a truck. Who cares if you use your truck like “truck”. On the flip side, who cares what bells and whistles and high end trim you have.

My Dad does lawn care with his 22 limited long horn 1500. He keeps it immaculate, goes way out of his way to do so. Do i think it’s over the top? Yes a little bit. But it makes him happy and he isn’t hurting anything and he definitely doesn’t care what anyone thinks.

Bob1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly. Standard cab with 8' bed. Couldn't get a sheet of plywood in my Dart.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know I'm old school, but who besides me bought their truck to use as an actual truck? You know, for hauling heavy stuff in the bed and towing a lot of weight behind them. That is the only reason for buying a truck, to haul and tow crap, IMO of course. And it's not just RAM. I see so many people paying large bucks for Chevys and Fords, then buying all these pretty bells and whistles - light bars, trim kits, etc. - and raising and lowering and tricking out their trucks, and yet they never take them off the asphalt. Then they take them through the car wash every week and wax them every month. If people want a show vehicle, they could spend a lot less and buy a Mustang or Charger.

I picked up my truck at the end of March. Since then I have swept out the inside about 3 times because I like to keep the interior relatively clean, and I took an actual wet rag to the outside once in May because the pollen was building up to the point I couldn't see out the windshield. Other than that, I haven't touched it cosmetically. I did add some real nice camo seat covers to it because the gray vinyl was boring, and I bought some Husky floor mats because it's easier than mopping off the rubber flooring. And I've dented the bed when I dropped a battery in there, and chipped some paint off the tailgate when I hit it with a 2x4. It's a truck, that's why I bought it.
IMG_2777.jpeg
Mine is a 19 lawnmower hauler. Use it daily. It has a couple of dents but otherwise very clean. Only gets washed a couple of times a year. But most creature comforts are included

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I made the mistake of parking too close to a steel target. Both pax doors have chips from spalling and even pulled a piece of Brass or copper jacket out of the headliner. I also shot 5 holes in the side of the bed on the pax side. I bought it to pull our 5th wheel but that didn't work out so now it's a daily driver I've got about 30,500 miles on it and it's a 2015.
You really need to post pics of the bullet holes when you post something like this.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I do try to take care of my trucks. But now I have a dented tailgate (from 5th wheel camper - **WHOOPS**), and a couple other dents in my bed from stuff moving when I didn't think it would do any damage. Truck beds are pretty flimsy now.

Doc337

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I know I'm old school, but who besides me bought their truck to use as an actual truck? You know, for hauling heavy stuff in the bed and towing a lot of weight behind them. That is the only reason for buying a truck, to haul and tow crap, IMO of course. And it's not just RAM. I see so many people paying large bucks for Chevys and Fords, then buying all these pretty bells and whistles - light bars, trim kits, etc. - and raising and lowering and tricking out their trucks, and yet they never take them off the asphalt. Then they take them through the car wash every week and wax them every month. If people want a show vehicle, they could spend a lot less and buy a Mustang or Charger.

I picked up my truck at the end of March. Since then I have swept out the inside about 3 times because I like to keep the interior relatively clean, and I took an actual wet rag to the outside once in May because the pollen was building up to the point I couldn't see out the windshield. Other than that, I haven't touched it cosmetically. I did add some real nice camo seat covers to it because the gray vinyl was boring, and I bought some Husky floor mats because it's easier than mopping off the rubber flooring. And I've dented the bed when I dropped a battery in there, and chipped some paint off the tailgate when I hit it with a 2x4. It's a truck, that's why I bought it.
I grew up on a farm when a truck was a truck! I learned to drive in a 48 Dodge 1 ton flatbed Non Synchromesh 4 speed and a Ford 8N.
I have gotten soft over my 72 years, I am on my 4th RAM third diesel. I use my 18 3500 Laramie dually, I told you I have gotten soft, to tow my 40ft 5th wheel RV. In 19 we left for a 5 month trip out West, Canada & Alaska with 11,000 miles on the truck and returned to PA with over 37,000 miles on it and it towed the RV over 18,000 miles. It saw hard use on that trip. The bed is the home for the 20K 5th wheel and a 45gal auxiliary fuel tank and a tonneau cover to keep roving eyes away when not towing the RV.

Doc

After crossing the Yukon River on a ferry and traveling over the Top Of The World Highway, over 100 miles of mud and gravel.
Truck after TWH.jpg

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some people buy trucks to do truck things. Some people buy trucks because they like the truck image. A LOT of people buy trucks because they are the most durable and long-lasting vehicles on the road and can do anything you need them to do. If you can only have one vehicle that vehicle needs to do it all... and something with four doors and a 6.5 ft bed fits the bill.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Well after reading 80 posts, I just gotta know if I'm up to standards enough with the way I use my truck at times.

Am I doing it right? Last week I drove through a puddle. Hope that counts for the neglect standard.
Man I hope you guys accept me as the truck owner I am.

View attachment 524632
View attachment 524633View attachment 524634View attachment 524635View attachment 524636View attachment 524637View attachment 524638

Just look at the neglect. Thankfully it had rained. Hope it lasts like my '05 did, 200k mi./13yrs. It's just a truck.
Luckily she does clean up pretty good.
View attachment 524639
You need to haul more in the bed!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was just a question. I explained why I bought mine, and asked why someone would buy a truck if they're not going to use it as such. It would be like me buying a Lamborghini or a Ferrari, and then never taking it to the track. Makes no sense to buy a vehicle that is manufactured for a specific purpose, then never using for that purpose.
Years ago, I hung around a guy who drove a 440 Tri-powered Cuda. He used it like a person would a Pinto.... drove it really easy and for his daily commuting. We guys NEVER saw him get on it... not even once! Shucks!

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My reasons to own a truck. I'm new to the board and new to the RAM truck world. My wife's Dodge caravan (14 yrs old) took a dump, and we needed a different car quickly. I love a truck, and I used to have a Chevy 2500 diesel that I sold due to no longer hauling horses. I have regretted that choice ever since due no ability to carry oversize/oddly shaped items. So we looked at the dealer and looked on the internet and saw an ad for a used truck with a placeholder picture. So it was love at first sight and is reasonably fancy (creature comforts.) So, Nuesed (new to me used previously by someone else) it was due to cost factors as noted in another thread about the costs of trucks.
I mostly use my truck for light hauling and as a people mover most of the time. The cost of the smallest U-haul type truck/van is about $100.00 a day in my local area. I have had to rent a truck 3x in the last 2 months due to lack of a truck. So now I have a truck to haul and move the family. Now, my "new" to me truck has a short bed vs. my old truck's 8 ft bed, but it will fill my needs about 85% of the time, and I no longer have horses and the need to tow/haul all items related to horses.
I routinely take my car and truck to the car wash to clean inside and outside as I need to keep the resale value as high as possible for the future.
I tend to keep my cars/trucks for at least 12 or so years to maximize our return on the investment of purchase costs. I also tend to follow the recommended service intervals to keep the fleet moving as trouble-free as possible.

BlueHemi1500