Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Who says cummins says spun microglass causes abrasives? You can see our uoa's and testing paper in syn thread, this is fake filter news, lol. Show me proof anywhere else.
Ill find it but there is a fleetgard engineer on BITOG and he posted up some info about it. They claim that their new media is better than spun microglass and in one of the ways its better is that it doesnt let any abrasive particles from the microglass media into the engine. Ill find the info soon

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'll bite - what is "inorganic glass"? Just Marketing blubber?

Organic molecules require a carbon atom backbone chain, so of course glass is inorganic. wtf?

Edit: I opened the link - these f*u*c*k*e*r*s have gone to wound polypropylene string, just like my house sediment water filters!

Some of you might remember when I questioned how this is appropriate for hot engine oil because PP melting was not far from oil sump temp!!!!

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Organic molecules require a carbon atom backbone chain, so of course glass is inorganic. wtf?

Edit: I opened the link - these f*u*c*k*e*r*s have gone to wound polypropylene string, just like my house sediment water filters!

Some of you might remember when I questioned how this is appropriate for hot engine oil because PP melting was not far from oil sump temp!!!!
Oh yeah I see, they are trying to propose their poly filters are better then spun glass, to me this is all good news right. The main thing is to get things other then paper in the marketplace. Now, they put "glass" as abrasive, but this isnt "glass" They say "glass" is harder then pistons, well we certainly know the spun glass isnt harder then pistons. I see no proof, but I will say I like everything about it. Dudes are on offense, I likey. Not only marketing hard, but actually developing some good filters. Thanks for posting..

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yup. 1st time I've heard that the glass fibers broke into shards and beat up the engine (basically grinding wheel dust) - not only that, wouldn't we have heard about engine wear or damage in the 40 years they've been making fiberglass oil filters? Marketers rarely release truths, so we may never know.

Anyway, I'm fine with "organic" :rolleyes: oil filter media (i.e. - plastic!) except for that little tidbit about melting point of the plastic I discussed before.

And then there's the whole thing with sucking oil out of the ground, making a plastic, and tossing into a landfill.

But thanks to @06 Dodge for spilling the beans to all of us!

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

Did you happen to notice they are using nanonet fiber media in some of there oil filters that also have duel filtering capabilities similar to a by pass filter part of the oil flow down to 5 microns...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Did you happen to notice they are using nanonet fiber media in some of there oil filters that also have duel filtering capabilities similar to a by pass filter part of the oil flow down to 5 microns...

No, thanks. Still in a state of shock over the whole polypropylene thing.

Having said that, Fleetguard long sold "Combo" oil filters that were half full flow and half bypass. The elements in each had very different efficiencies. The reason they did this is so prime power users could change filters on the fly without engine shutdown - instead of having dedicated full flow and bypass filters.

This also makes me wonder if this isn't what Fram Ultra Synthetic did with their redesigned 2-layer oil filters?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I see they have made several changes to that filter from back in the day, I stopped using the Strapore back in 2012, I an many others went to the ELF that filtered oil down to 15 microns, almost a must on the older 5.9 CTD...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do they make one for the 5.7, might be a contender. It cant hurt, get a longer oci on it like they do rigs, which is what they use it for.

Hemimann did you have an issue with the poly? Is that what puro was using? In that test on page 93 filter thread it didnt translate to what they purpose as far as microns. Still like it better then paper regardless. They at one point said "smartfusion" media was poly I thought, I cant find it. Puro boss poly or spun glass?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I see they have made several changes to that filter from back in the day, I stopped using the Strapore back in 2012, I an many others went to the ELF that filtered oil down to 15 microns, almost a must on the older 5.9 CTD...

Yer making me the fossil I've turned into lol. But I still enjoy learning knew stuff from you guys, for which I thank you for sharing!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Do they make one for the 5.7, might be a contender. It cant hurt, get a longer oci on it like they do rigs, which is what they use it for.

Hemimann did you have an issue with the poly? Is that what puro was using? In that test on page 93 filter thread it didnt translate to what they purpose as far as microns. Still like it better then paper regardless. They at one point said "smartfusion" media was poly I thought, I cant find it. Puro boss poly or spun glass?

Dunno, boss - except for the melting point of polypropylene being not far from sump oil temp - hottest oil @ cylinder high wall and heads would melt polypropylene!!

I s'pose polypro is ok for house water sediment. But just think how tough our guts get drinking glass shard water!

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

They dont make one with the nanonet media. They do make a stratapore filter for a 5.7 but it uses a nitrile ADBV

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Puro boss is poly but i dont think its the same poly as cummins is using atleast not in the nanonet filters

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Soot isn't as much of an issue for gasoline engine oil, esp. Non GDI engines. I wouldn't be too concerned about nanomesh filtration, esp. for Hemi engines. Good filtration 20 microns should be sufficient. Fram Ultra and Royal Purple give us that from test data we've seen.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Both last runs 5w30 redline? And current one as well? I'd really be curious if that viscosity goes up again.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Both last runs 5w30 redline? And current one as well? I'd really be curious if that viscosity goes up again.

Results are for second run on Red Line 5w/30 and Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter.

Last edited: