Brake caliper not full retracting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My rear driver side brake caliper is not fully retracting. It’s not locked up, but it makes a squeal noise like the pad is lightly rubbing the rotor. I removed caliper and the pistons pushed in easily. I greased guide pins and reinstalled, but it is still doing it.

I’m thinking that it may be the brake hose collapsing internally and allowing fluid to flow easily in one direction but not the other, but usually it will completely lock up.

I think that I will replace the hose and see if it helps and then replace caliper as next step. I just want to get a second opinion for my fellow ram owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XCR600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How old is the truck ? 10 years plus on rubber parts makes them suspect IMO.

OP
OP
nuts4hotwheels
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2006 Ram 1500

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
My rear driver side brake caliper is not fully retracting. It’s not locked up, but it makes a squeal noise like the pad is lightly rubbing the rotor. I removed caliper and the pistons pushed in easily. I greased guide pins and reinstalled, but it is still doing it.

I’m thinking that it may be the brake hose collapsing internally and allowing fluid to flow easily in one direction but not the other, but usually it will completely lock up.

I think that I will replace the hose and see if it helps and then replace caliper as next step. I just want to get a second opinion for my fellow ram owners.

I’ve seen that a few times where the inside rubber liner deteriorates and causes that.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Idk what happened there^ lol.

I was trying to type that I’ve seen that happen more then a few times where the rubber deteriorates and causes that.

How the hell did I post inside your post? Weird!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I go through this frequently with my truck because of muddy conditions. Sometimes I can take them apart and lube the guides and they'll work normally again, but usually after I've done that once or twice I have to replace the caliper to get it working properly again.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also keep in mind the e-brake is located in the integrated drum on the rear rotor and are prone to corrosion and sticking. Could also be the source of the noise.