Brake Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brtnboarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the forums here. I recently bought an 07 Ram 4.7L from my friends mother. Her father passed away and the vehicle sat for a little over a year outdoors (Florida).

When I picked the vehicle up, the front brakes were stuck to the rotors. The guy at the shop it was at was able to pull it with another vehicle to break the rust loose so the vehicle could be moved.

I got it home, and ordered new calipers and brake pads, since the caliper pistons were stuck in place.

I replaced all 4 calipers and put new pads on as the rotors were in good shape. I bled the brake lines, changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, etc before I got it on the road.

I took it on about a 15 minute drive, and after the brakes got hot, they start seizing. I immediately drove back home, and by the time I got to my neighborhood I could let off the gas and the truck would immediately come to a stop as if I'm slamming on the brakes. They were extremely hot, and I could smell them.

So with new pads, new calipers, and new fluid in the lines...I'm still lost at this point. I ordered new brake hoses and they're in the mail now but does anyone have any idea what else could be causing this other than the hoses? The master cylinder seems to be fine, there is pressure and the pedal doesn't sink to the floor or anything. Any input would be a huge help. Thanks!

moezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My only guess would be bad calipers from the get go, happens sometimes

remove the calipers again and press on the brakes and see if they come out easy, if they do then press them back in with the cap on the oil reservoir, if u cant push them back in with the cap on remove the cap and try again if that doesnt work then the calipers are no good.

I once did my niughbors honda calipers and brakes and for the life of me and about 2 hrs trying to find a way to make the e brake work it would and I adjusted and bleed the brakes like 10 times and nothing ended up being BOTH calipers the e brake piston would not engage on them.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Air pockets generate alot of heat in hydraulics and that heat in turn heats up the fluid and so on. Start with the wheel closest to the resovoir and then the next closest etc

Did you prefill the pistons in the calipers? Thats a mistake that happens alot.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Was the master cylinder replaced and was the entire system flushed or just the new calipers bled?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca