Breather Holes in Hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For all those knowledgeable members to comment..wondering what effect drilling tiny breather holes in those phone air vents on the hood would have. Making them more functiona; Would it cool the egine bay any..would it mess up anything? Thanks

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Phone air vents? Did you mean phony, or am I just missing the analogy? :p
Anyway, you'll also need to perforate the hood insulator if you want air flow through those vents. I've seen posts where people have done that. It could possibly lower engine bay temps a little, but I don't see how it would provide any real benefit since the intake is a closed system. There is a kit that uses one of those vents to feed air into the intake. But I'm not sure if they're still making those. I remember they were pretty expensive though.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In theory it would cool the engine conpartment. I'm pretty sure the manufacturer took the into account when they designed the truck though. I'd be leary of doing that just because rain and other falling debris like leaves getting inside before I'd worry about venting the hood to cool it. Unless of course you have a crazy race truck with a built engine you don't drive everyday.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep phony..LOL..just a mind fart thinking of things..do not know why they are not true vents..except as you say debris /water via that area..thanks for the replies.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not necessarily saying this is why they’re there but Mopar does make a kit that allows you to turn one of those faux scoops into a functioning air intake that is designed to be used with the Mopar cold air intake.

I ran one of those Mopar cold air intakes for quite a while after I bought my truck but since I really just didn’t have the desire to hunt down one of those sport hoods to put the air intake kit on it, I just eventually sold the air intake. But the idea is with the Mopar CAI is that it has a round oval shape cover on top of the airbox that if you buy that hood kit, you remove that metal cover from the top of the airbox so that when you close the hood, there’s a rubber gasket underneath the hood that closes down over that opening so that in the end you have a basic ram air system where you’ve got cold air coming in through the hood that goes right directly on top of your air filter.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For all those knowledgeable members to comment..wondering what effect drilling tiny breather holes in those phone air vents on the hood would have. Making them more functiona; Would it cool the egine bay any..would it mess up anything? Thanks
Put a Vararam on it and don't look back!
IMG_1548.JPG

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys...so much MIS Information out there. One side says you do not need more air as the factory geniuses set up the compter to manage such and such a volume of air to fuel...Others say more air is good but does not affect performance...Ahh going to leave it stock the way it is.Got rid of the big old muffler and put on a Flo Two.., catch can and that is it...not racing it but was looking to just give the engine what it needs to be optimin efficient. There are no tuners of credit up here so..there ya go!

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys...so much MIS Information out there. One side says you do not need more air as the factory geniuses set up the compter to manage such and such a volume of air to fuel...Others say more air is good but does not affect performance...Ahh going to leave it stock the way it is.Got rid of the big old muffler and put on a Flo Two.., catch can and that is it...not racing it but was looking to just give the engine what it needs to be optimin efficient. There are no tuners of credit up here so..there ya go!
Both sides make valid points. The extra air in the intake will work if you put extra fuel in the combustion chamber with a tune but all of that needs to get expelled with a good exhaust too. Without doing any of that there aren't going to be any really noticeable gains for that added cost. The stock computers will make changes accordingly but nothing that will come close to a custom tune for effectiveness

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Look up Chris Zelinsky of Player 3 Tuning,he's out of Edmonton,but he makes several trips over to Saskatoon for tuning,and he's every bit as good if not better as the 2 big name truck tuners are. He's also a dealer for Texas Speed

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks Wild One..sent him a message..
He actually prefers phone calls Dave.His number is listed on his page. You'll need an unlocked PCM and bypass cable to tune your truck. He tunes with HP,so don't spring for a Diablo unlocked PCM. You can tell him Rick Wildman sent you,he knows me pretty well,lol

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

I have a Rebel, thought about cutting the two front and reversing them. If you noticed, they are facing the wrong way.
I designed and 3D printed the vents in high temp PC. Ending up not cutting the holes, wasn't sure if I was going trade the truck or not.

Next option was either make my own CF hood or purchase one. There is company in US, that makes CF Rebel/Ram hoods.
They have some good reviews and some bad. Since I'm in Canada, cost to ship/duties wasn't worth it.

You would need to also Tune it if you were going to do anything as well.

Currently I have S&B CAI on my Truck. Doesn't really do anything but make Truck sound better. Plan was to redirect the vents into CAI instead of the stock location.

I disagree that more air doesn't affect performance, it does. But there is more than just adding CAI.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a Rebel, thought about cutting the two front and reversing them. If you noticed, they are facing the wrong way.
I designed and 3D printed the vents in high temp PC. Ending up not cutting the holes, wasn't sure if I was going trade the truck or not.

Next option was either make my own CF hood or purchase one. There is company in US, that makes CF Rebel/Ram hoods.
They have some good reviews and some bad. Since I'm in Canada, cost to ship/duties wasn't worth it.

You would need to also Tune it if you were going to do anything as well.

Currently I have S&B CAI on my Truck. Doesn't really do anything but make Truck sound better. Plan was to redirect the vents into CAI instead of the stock location.

I disagree that more air doesn't affect performance, it does. But there is more than just adding CAI.
The phoney hood vents aren't tall enough to force air into the airbox even if they were open and ducted to it.They'd need to be a couple inches taller to get past the dead air space on the hood.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK well this is all good t knowDecided to put vent lites in the hood vent space..I will call him tomorrow Rick and see what to expect for costs. Thanks for the info on Diablo. I imagine an unlocked PCM is not cheap..will find out where to get what he needs and then decide...thanks again for all the input guys.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
OK well this is all good t knowDecided to put vent lites in the hood vent space..I will call him tomorrow Rick and see what to expect for costs. Thanks for the info on Diablo. I imagine an unlocked PCM is not cheap..will find out where to get what he needs and then decide...thanks again for all the input guys.
You can do the trade option, or purchase a new one from HP. New one better option. $699 US from their site. Then you need cable and device. You'll have duties but they ship to Canada if you purchase direct.
And two licenses.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually he wasw kind enuf to accept my call ( my ***** thought it would just be a message ) He is going to take me by the hand and guide me through this event. Thanks Rick

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The phoney hood vents aren't tall enough to force air into the airbox even if they were open and ducted to it.They'd need to be a couple inches taller to get past the dead air space on the hood.

The stock one does pull in "some" air in 3d Sim. I do agree it needs to be higher to best optimization. Which is what we did. 3/4 of inch higher than stock.
Didn't want it look ugly, but also functional. Since it was all done on 3D sim, and I never put them on, hard to say the exact high in practice would be.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the OEM CAI lower box might be the best option to keep OEM but get more air what do you think.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007