Bubbling air in reservoir when shutting truck off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rajman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I recently had some upgrades done on my ram 2500. Head gasket and revalving, studs for head, new exhaust manifold, new turbo with waste gate, 5" exhaust, egr delete, tuned. My problem is it seems to be building pressure in the radiator but the thermostat doesn't seem to be opening. The thermostat was replaced with an OEM with same result. A lower temp thermostat was installed with same result. Although now it does not overheat. When I release the pressure on the radiator cap alot of air bubbles up into the reservoir and also raises the volume so it drains out of the reservoir. The radiator then needs fluid and I fill it only to have the same thing happen. I'm to the point of running with a thermostat. Help!

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Get a Mopar or Cummins t-stat. Then make sure you bleed the air on the riser if still factory.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I think your head gasket is still leaking exhaust gases into the cooling system. This wouldn't be the first time a warped head was installed with a new gasket and studs. After I had my failed HG replaced and ARP 1000 head studs installed it would percolate when the engine was shut off for 8 or 10 seconds and had a never ending problem of overheat issues until I had a shop replace the HG again and send the head to a machine shop to plane .006" off to level it. Last month I pulled our 8,000# toy hauler nearly 3,000 miles and the morning after I returned home the radiator checked full. Before this fix I couldn't pull it 100 miles without adding a gallon of coolant. I was nearly to the point of selling it, as was recommended by friends, and buying a different truck but it shined on this last trip, thankfully.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
6.7s, especially tuned, but even stock are prone to HG problems. Too much timing, too much cylinder pressure are a real problem with some tunes. Have the head AND the deck checked for flatness, and get it fire-ringed. The 6.7 is not a 5.9, unfortunately.