Building a new garage, what do you wish you had...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Power, power, and more power. 4, 220V outlets for compressor, welder, plasma cutter and a spare. 50 amp outlet for RV. 120v 20 amp outlets ever 3 ft switching between low and counter height. Also power outlets in the center of the ceiling every 6 ft for pull down power.
I'm also a fan of pull down air lines when you need to work around a project away from the bench. While you're at it pull down water is also very handy.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As other posters have mentioned.....floor drains for sure. I live in a winter climate and want to be able to wash my vehicles during the cold weather and not have the water freeze on my driveway or freeze the rubber boot of the garage door to the ground.

This is the system I'd go for if I had the opportunity.

SnaefellMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I like all of the replies seen so far, the only things I would add are;
- make it bigger than you think you need
- don't skimp on pads outside the roll up doors, one of the best things I did on my already old shop was to add a 20' carport to one end, it has been said here already but being able to work outside the shop is invaluable, especially when its raining or snowing

Josh610

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I got a 24x30 with heat and air.. 10.5 tall.. Wish I had a 1 ton electric host!

Rope Chucker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
insulation, heat, more space (acreage!)And all this ^^^^ too.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
That U-drain thing looks like a nut and bolt magnet....

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. I wish I had the $ to build a garage that fits my truck in it....
2. any time i build anything now I will build it double the size I thought I would need because I already learned that lesson and have the tshirt.

honestly I never thought of a toilet LOL a good heater and a ceiling fan. a place to hang deer. a skinning area for trapping. adequate electrical as stated above for welder etc...
good bright lighting.

Dur-P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 stroked to 392
#1 thing a garage needs today.... cat6 ethernet cable run from house to garage to send internet signal to shop, inground, in conduit.
the ethernet cable needs to plug into house modem, and install wifi access point on the other end inside shop.
using wifi repeaters from house to shop is GARBAGE.
while you are running the CAT6 cable, might as well run 4 of them plus a couple coax cables just for good measure. you never know if you'll need em'

plus id always want:
in-floor heating is great when you have to work on the floor,
in-floor outlets in middle shop area,
large hot water heater.
air hose fittings EVERYWHERE, on the walls near work areas, front of shop, outside by bay doors, retractable air hoses from ceiling in shop area
retractable electrical cords from ceiling....

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you plan to work on cars in the garage and will need to have them running plymovent or similar to remove exhaust gases.

As for fans the big ceiling fans in the rafters as well as side exhaust vent fans to remove smoke, etc. from any welding or other activities in which ventilation is needed / required / suggested, i.e more than just windows.

And the heated bay floors is nice when its cold.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
More room for my free weights, and a massive air conditioning unit.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just built a new one. It is just the way I wanted it . 40x60x14 . With a lift and a tire changer. The floor is 6 inches thick with rebar. I am installing LEDs as well as the natural light I will have thru the day.

Man...I need to move. Some of you guys with all this property and disposable income makes me jealous! I mean seriously. Beautiful garages. I have a good friend in South Bend, IN and he keeps telling me to sell my house here and buy a mansion by him, lol. It's tempting but I think I'd stick out just a bit when I talk...

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last year got a 20x36 10' high garage with a 16' door down at my FL home. All the garage I could build on lot. Plenty of room for bikes, car, and/or Ram and can easily adapt to whatever I need. I also have the house garage for overflo. Nothin special but works for me

Attachments

• garagea.JPG
    garagea.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 7
  • garage6.JPG
    garage6.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 7
  • garage3.JPG
    garage3.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 7

'06 Ram 2500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve seen garage doors on both sides of the garage. Seems like a good idea especially if the back side has a cover for back burner projects or just grilling and such. Sounds like a great addition!

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tore down my garage to redo it. I always over build but the things I'm including are: a second floor with a room to sleep with a TV the rest will be storage with a 1500 pound elevator to lift motored up in. A full bathroom, at least two lifts, figure out where you want your tool box(es) and make room for them. I planned our 100x150 with 24ft high ceilings and a standard second floor. Plus a 30x30 bay attached to the garage for a paint booth

Bj Binette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My buddy has an 8x8 mezzanine in one corner, about 8' off the ground. He stores tires and stuff (winter/summer tires depending on the season). Just takes a ladder out when he needs to go up there. He also hangs stuff from it, like brooms, rakes, extension cords...whatever. It keeps stuff off the floor.

DodgeDude1999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Gambrel roof, 10’ ceilings, engineered I-beams for ceiling rafters/2nd floor workshop, HVAC, wired for coax or Cat6 cable. Water & crapper not needed unless your house is a mile away.