Bumpy ride after Thuren upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bounces, so rapid that it almost feels like a vibration. It's not constant, but its frequent at certain speeds, so I'm trying a tire balance just to rule that out.

Sounds like tires. I have a 3500 and did thuren rear leaf springs. It took about 1500miles for then to break in, coils are a bit different but still need time to settle in.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Bounces, so rapid that it almost feels like a vibration. It's not constant, but its frequent at certain speeds, so I'm trying a tire balance just to rule that out.
That sound like tires. Road force balance. But some tires just suck and have vibes.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I understand all the comments about tires.......but if they are the exact same tires at the exact same air pressure as before, why would they suddenly change or start having vibrations after installing the suspension?
This is one of those things that is really hard to diagnose over the internet. Biggest issue is it's really hard to describe what is going on, and regardless of what terms or description is provided everybody has a different perspective of what that means.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just reading Mike J post. He has a great comfy ride but look at the gear he put in to get that..$$$$$$ some cannot afford all that change...waiting for those lottery winnings...LOL

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I understand all the comments about tires.......but if they are the exact same tires at the exact same air pressure as before, why would they suddenly change or start having vibrations after installing the suspension?
This is one of those things that is really hard to diagnose over the internet. Biggest issue is it's really hard to describe what is going on, and regardless of what terms or description is provided everybody has a different perspective of what that means.

Tire weights come off time to time. Since tires were removed could of happened. Tires could wear different depending on location and if rotated could cause a vibration at a different location. Lots of reasons to get a vibration jitters seems to be tires not suspension.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
One could have separated. It happens a lot.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tire weights come off time to time. Since tires were removed could of happened. Tires could wear different depending on location and if rotated could cause a vibration at a different location. Lots of reasons to get a vibration jitters seems to be tires not suspension.
One could have separated. It happens a lot.
Sure, and meteor could fall on you while working on the truck also. But seriously, there is a chance either of those happened. But if the truck runs fine when you pull it into the garage and then as soon as you pull it out of the garage the issue occurs, it would be a pretty big coincidence. Sure, it's not that uncommon for a tire to separate but it also doesn't happen with a high frequency nowadays....and the simple act of removing a tire in the garage and putting it back on shouldn't cause it to separate. In regards to tire weights, again there is a chance a tire weight got knocked off during the work but it just doesn't happen that often. I've had the tires on and off of multiple vehicles hundreds of times over the years and have never knocked a weight off....again, yes it can happen but it's not like a regular occurrence everytime you pull the tires. Also, just one wheel weight being knocked off doesn't necessarily cause a noticable vibration. Just about any tire and wheel assembly will "change" balance as it wears...that is why people will often rebalance the same tires and wheels periodically. I've rebalanced several sets of tires over the years and found them to be way off from the original balance, and I was doing this just for maintenance reasons and not because there was excessive vibration.

So yes, either of those tire related items could possibly be an issue. But my main point is those issues are not super common, there is no reason that a tire would separate by unbolting it from the truck and bolting it back on, and even chucking a wheel weight does not necessarily cause that big of an issue.

Of course in the end, and as I mentioned before, it's really hard to diagnose the issue over the internet. A tire related issue like separating belts provides some very specific vibrations and noises, and you simply don't know enough details over the internet to diagnose if it's the right issue or not. I just went back and re-read the OP and based on that description tires are one of the last things I would look at. They mention worse ride characteristics and that it is okay on a perfectly smooth road. Well, a bad tire would likely be more noticeable the smoother the road is, and that is because it's not being masked by bumps in the road. In general there is a big difference between overall ride quality and a constant "thump, thump, thump" and shaking of a bad tire that also would increase with vehicle speed.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure, and meteor could fall on you while working on the truck also. But seriously, there is a chance either of those happened. But if the truck runs fine when you pull it into the garage and then as soon as you pull it out of the garage the issue occurs, it would be a pretty big coincidence. Sure, it's not that uncommon for a tire to separate but it also doesn't happen with a high frequency nowadays....and the simple act of removing a tire in the garage and putting it back on shouldn't cause it to separate. In regards to tire weights, again there is a chance a tire weight got knocked off during the work but it just doesn't happen that often. I've had the tires on and off of multiple vehicles hundreds of times over the years and have never knocked a weight off...

Ive knocked plenty of wheel weights off when off roading, lots of guys use beads or other internal methods for balancing for that reason. The spring rate on the thruen springs are a lot softer and will move a lot more freely. the tires could of had a issue from the start and the new springs and shocks now highlight them more. the bigger the tire the more issue that can happen, a lot of spinning mass and its spinning about 800RPM at 60mph. off road style tires are notorious for becoming out of balance due to the aggressive patterns and wear patterns. I suggested getting the tires looked at as it is the cheapest less headache issue to take on. i also suggest in a pervious post to give it time and let the springs settle in and check the shocks out as i had 2 fox 2.0 blow out within in 500miles.

OP
OP
Kr0ss

Kr0ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I had the wheels road-force balanced yesterday. The tech said they only needed minor corrections. They're near perfect balance now, and the vibration remains. It's only noticeable in the 50-65mph range but it's bad enough that it visibly shakes the passenger seat side to side.

Since this started when the rear shocks/springs went on, removing them is my next troubleshooting step. I'll keep you posted.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I had the wheels road-force balanced yesterday. The tech said they only needed minor corrections. They're near perfect balance now, and the vibration remains. It's only noticeable in the 50-65mph range but it's bad enough that it visibly shakes the passenger seat side to side.

Since this started when the rear shocks/springs went on, removing them is my next troubleshooting step. I'll keep you posted.

Did you install a different track bar? have you had the alignment done since you leveled and moved the suspension around?

OP
OP
Kr0ss

Kr0ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Did you install a different track bar? have you had the alignment done since you leveled and moved the suspension around?
I did install a new front track bar. I haven't gotten an alignment yet; it's scheduled for next week - the soonest they could get me in.

Have you seen alignment issues cause vibrations? The steering wheel is straight and it tracks straight on the highway.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did install a new front track bar. I haven't gotten an alignment yet; it's scheduled for next week - the soonest they could get me in.

Have you seen alignment issues cause vibrations? The steering wheel is straight and it tracks straight on the highway.

I have seen it do weird things. i know Ram has a lot of toe in with OEM alignment and seeing how you only have it at higher speeds. It doesn't make sense for it to be suspension as you would feel it at every speed. I would leave the spring/shocks in place and get it a agliment with thuren specs. Also this give it more time to break the springs in more.

OP
OP
Kr0ss

Kr0ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok, so at this point I've gotten a road-force balance, an alignment, and even tried centramatic wheel balancers. The balance and alignment made no difference at all. The wheel balancers have helped some, but the problem is still very apparent.

I didn't get a spec sheet after having the road force balance done, but I can see that one of the three wheels has way more weight than the other three. I will test to see if that wheel may be out of round, then possibly rotate that to the front to see if the vibration follows.

If the problem remains, I think next thing to investigate would be driveshaft vibration - thoughts?