Buy Now?...Or wait post pandemic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would like to upgrade my 2011 to a 19 Classic Big Horn. My 11 is LN, but I'd get the 8 spd trans, big radio remote start and a little better drivability with the 19. I am partial to the used 19 rental trucks avail with the power bench seat, crew cab better interior overall better looking (IMO) and the long bed. Last year these sold for 25K or less, this year you're lucky to find a lo mile one under 30K and most over that.

That being said, my very low mile 2011 may be worth a little more on trade right now but IMO not enough to make up the 5-7K more I'll pay for the 19.

I don't NEED to trade, should I wait until later next year and hope the prices come back down to pre pandemic prices or just go ahead and find a deal now? What are your thoughts? Think the prices will come back down?

Here's a 19 rental in billet silver with 31K (all rental miles) for 27000 which is the best deal I've found so far. Still it has TWICE the miles as my 11 with only 15K

Or am I foolish for even WANTING to trade?

ram19rent.JPG

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Are you not seeing new stock being delivered to local dealers?

So if you want to go post pandemic how long are you willing to wait to do the trade?

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well as I said I dont NEED to trade but was kinda hoping prices would come down a bit. But that also may mean I might have to settle for a little more miles on these used 19s. What's your thought on used units getting any cheaper post pandemic?

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You can get a new one cheaper if your gonna make payments it's 0% for 84 where I am plus like 12k off

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The "new" Rams drive much better but I still can't get past the looks...they look like crap IMO compared to the Gen 4s. And at least around here they WONT give you both money off AND 0 for 84 mo. Also unless we're talking a 70000 limited, I'm only seeing abt 6k off sticker. That would put a similiar NEW truck about DOUBLE what the used is going for and that phlocking PAYMENT coming due each month vs paying cash and be done. No, I think new is OUT for me

Last edited:

slickracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My local Ram dealer only has about 25% of their normal inventory of 1500's, if that.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
For $1500 you can get a big radio, Pioneer WT8600NEX and the install accessories. Add another $200 for a remote start and you have 2 of the 3 features you want for considerably less than the difference between your trade and the used 2019. With such low miles on the '11 I would do the upgrades and hang on to it for a while. In a couple of years the prices will come back down to normal and you can get a low milage '21. :)

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just curious where you found them for ~$25K last year and ~$27K now. I don't even see a 1-2yr/old Ram 1500 V6, 2wd for that price.

My ex-rental 2019 Ram 1500 classic SLT, crew cab, 4x4, hemi was $27500+TTL w/ 15K miles on it in July 2020 though Enterprise car sales and I had been watching ex-rental pricing for a month or two prior to finding that price. These trucks are $31K+ now with 30K miles on them. Same with Hertz, etc.

Now is the time to get the most for your trade given the inflated prices on anything used, but as you know, it's all a wash because what you're buying costs more.

I too prefer the looks of the 4th gens. I haven't even sat in a 5th gen yet. I'm curious about the ride everyone says is so awesome. To me, my 2019 rides like a big 'ol Buick. Super smooth and cushy. My 2017 did too.

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you have the bug to buy, nothing is going to stop you. The best to do is check all resources you can to find sales prices in your area for new and trade in value for existing. You might try private sale to see if you clear more than trade in value plus sales tax savings. Used trucks in many areas appear to be commanding high prices. But IMHO I agree with some above posts, you have a sweet ride and you could upgrade to some of your desires for not a lot of money. It took me 16 years to from my 2003 2500 to my new (last year) 2018 2500 and my parents still drive my old now. I drive them forever. Good luck.

Dakota2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With 11K miles, I 'd keep your current truck. To me it's a no brainer.
I’m with you. Keep your low mileage truck and upgrade your interior. Now is the best time not to have a car payment. I’m so glad I paid cash for mine and don’t have one. So many people have gotten laid off or not working. Put the extra money away from a car payment into something that doesn’t decrease in value.

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious where you found them for ~$25K last year and ~$27K now. I don't even see a 1-2yr/old Ram 1500 V6, 2wd for that price.

I'm in S Florida, that silver 2019 was a just turned in rental with 31000 hard rental miles and who knows how may drivers. That's why it is a little cheaper.

Mine has the mopar full length wheel to wheel steps as well as the solid 4 pc mopar bed cover. About $1800 in those two alone

I already put a 2012 big screen radio in mine, and could install blue tooth and backup too for not too much. I just have to live with the 5 spd with only 15000 miles on my truck it will outlive me I'm sure. I'll go over there and they'll run a manheim book on it and offer me 16-17 for ir so will be over 10K difference for a rental with double the miles and only 2WD. It's not like mine is a dog, but 10K+ difference? I'm wasting my time should that be the deal and it may well be. Here's my 2011

bighorn11m.JPG

bighorn11t.JPG

bighorn11l.JPG

Last edited:

phantomfixer

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been searching for a new vehicle myself so I thought I would share a couple of thoughts about my experience thus far.Don't get caught up in the hype about your vehicle being worth more right now...it's really not, especially a Ram.Dealer inventories are non existent right now so whatever they have they are asking top dollar for.As far as trade in values go, they vary from site to site and you can be sure your dealer will be using the lowest possible one.My suggestion is don't feel you're sitting on a gold mine in trade...you're not.I would wait until dealer inventories are replenished and try to negotiate a deal at that point

OP
OP
tbird71

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably the only way I'm gonna be able to trade is sell this nice truck myself. As you just stated all that hype is just that and our trades aint worth a dime more than they were last year.

My problem is they'll run a manheim auction price on mine and compare it to the 90-160K 2011 examples going thru the sale. There's probably not another similiar 2011 Ram with 15000 miles on it in the entire nation. And they'll not allow me one dollar more for mine only having 15000 miles on it. I'll try just for S&G but dont think it will happen

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Won’t hurt to see what CarMax will offer for your truck. Of course the best way to extract value will be a private sale to someone who appreciates the condition it’s in.

Financially there’s no reason to support a trade, but what the hell, why not enjoy your money, you earned it. I budget money for things I must do, as well as things I WANT to do. If I want something new and it fits the budget I get it. Doesn’t need to be a good business case for wants.

I don’t have a good enough crystal ball to predict next year. Could be a big collective exuberance post Wuhan Flu and it’s a seller’s market. Or the chickens could come home to roost from overspending, underemployment, and lost productivity in which case cash will be king and sellers begging you to buy.
And of course if inflation sparks up your cash buying power will erode. That’s the real price to be paid eventually for printing money. They’re stealing value from savers to give it to borrowers. /soapbox

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could also check Carvana. It literally takes 5 minutes to plug the numbers into their website and if you make a deal they come to you and bring you a check and haul the vehicle away on a flatbed. I sold them a car back in July and it was easy. They damn near gave me retail for it. The only thing is you better not have any accidents, no matter how minor on the car fax if you want top dollar. I plugged my truck in and got offered peanuts because I had a minor accident back in January.

Murdock188

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could also check Carvana. It literally takes 5 minutes to plug the numbers into their website and if you make a deal they come to you and bring you a check and haul the vehicle away on a flatbed. I sold them a car back in July and it was easy. They damn near gave me retail for it. The only thing is you better not have any accidents, no matter how minor on the car fax if you want top dollar. I plugged my truck in and got offered peanuts because I had a minor accident back in January.

IDK I plugged my truck into their website 19 ram classic cc hemi 4x4 no accidents or damage at all their offer was about 10 k below the low end trade in value.

Anyways like others have said if you can afford it and you want it........ Do it.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Probably the only way I'm gonna be able to trade is sell this nice truck myself. As you just stated all that hype is just that and our trades aint worth a dime more than they were last year.

My problem is they'll run a manheim auction price on mine and compare it to the 90-160K 2011 examples going thru the sale. There's probably not another similiar 2011 Ram with 15000 miles on it in the entire nation. And they'll not allow me one dollar more for mine only having 15000 miles on it. I'll try just for S&G but dont think it will happen

I understand what you are saying and I've been down this road trading-in or selling vehicles over the years. As you know, just because they offer a price based on Manheim doesn't mean that's what you have to accept. They don't budge, you don't budge.

I agree though. Upgrading to that ex-rental with 2x the mileage of yours is kind of a tough pill to swallow.

Most of the dealers in my area offer exactly what you'll see on KBB. I know that's how Enterprise car sales where I bought my ex-rental 2019 does it. If you tracked the value of your 2011 before COVID19 vs. what KBB says it's worth today, I'm certain today's price is more. I know it is with the vehicles I own. It's not hype if you know pricing and follow these things. Of course you're going to pay more for what you're buying so it balances out.

Like you say though, your truck is ~10yrs/old. The value might not be where you want it, even with the Rona.

Your 2011 looks brand-new! You took excellent care of it. It doesn't have the 6spd? (you mentioned 5). The ZF8's are nice for sure, but I'd need more than that to unload that 2011!

Last edited: