Buying mopar lifters on eBay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Personally with New parts I have bought parts on Ebay, as long as they are OEM boxed/marked/with P/N or from a manufacturer I'm looking for their solution by P/N. The exception is fuel filters for Diesel engines for me, due to the obvious reason.

Feedback looks all positive, but is a low number. From looking at that feedback history, it looks like they've sold quite a few new OEM items. Might be an employee at a dealership using their discount? Or other? For that price gap if I were in your shoes, I do some research on the labels on those boxes and make choice after comparing what you find.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Buying from ebay can be risky. But there are often telltale signs that suggest something is off with either the seller or the items being sold. In this case I see nothing to suggest this isn't a genuine listing. I'd probably take the chance on these if I needed them.

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
546 items sold and only 117 reviews on on the feedback. I took a chance on a cheap set of lifters and got to run the engine 10 minutes before I had to take it a part again. Do yourself a favor and buy from a reputable parts dealer. I used rock auto with a discount code to buy the OEM lifters. Way to many counterfeits out there to take a chance.

OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
546 items sold and only 117 reviews on on the feedback. I took a chance on a cheap set of lifters and got to run the engine 10 minutes before I had to take it a part again. Do yourself a favor and buy from a reputable parts dealer. I used rock auto with a discount code to buy the OEM lifters. Way to many counterfeits out there to take a chance.
Was the cheap set you got mopar that turned out to be counterfeit, or something aftermarket like enginetech?

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought my lifters and cam on eBay from separate buyers. They were both from mopar dealers so I was ok with it.

Been singing along for 20k no issues so far.

OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Appreciate the input, I’ll go for it. Paying $1k from a mopar site is pretty much out of budget, it’s for a flip project that’s only going to be worth $5k max. Already have around $2k total into it, and will probably be $3k before I’m done with it.

I was originally hoping to reuse the oem lifters (they didn’t fail, I just had the heads off for other reasons), despite having 226k miles on them they appeared to be in great shape. But I did end up finding one that wouldn’t collapse, and of course if it happened to one the rest can’t be too far behind.

Here’s some pics for kicks while I’m at it lol. Bought it barely running, wouldn’t idle and died every time it went into gear. Found a broken valve spring and jumped time 1 tooth. Fortunately no damage to valves. First time opening up a motor and I am thoroughly enjoying the experience

Attachments

• IMG_0191.jpeg
    IMG_0191.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0192.jpeg
    IMG_0192.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0189.jpeg
    IMG_0189.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0193.jpeg
    IMG_0193.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 9

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You can't hold a seller responsible for buyers who don't leave feedback. If a buyer is unhappy they almost certainly will leave negative feedback. If a buyer is happy they may or may not leave feedback of any kind. The fact that all of the feedback is positive is a good indication that they are a trustworthy seller and the goods they sell are legit.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Was the cheap set you got mopar that turned out to be counterfeit, or something aftermarket like enginetech?
The cheap set I got was Rockauto's in house set. Truck ran less then 10 minutes and sounded like gravel in a tin can. Sounded great at start up then the longer it ran the worse it got. I took a chance and lost, luckily I got a full refund on them. Another thing is, if you buy from a parts dealer you usually have a warranty with said parts. The OEM lifters I bought from rockauto have a 12 month warranty on them. Buying from ebay doesn't not give you a warranty unless mentioned by the seller. Its all up to the person if they want to take a chance. I just know when I was looking for cheap OEM lifters that most sellers were using the same pic or a bad photoshop edit of one. This one while not having many feedback scores listed, it is all positive. I'm not trying to down the Seller. Other bad sellers give good ones a bad reputation. However feedback scores or reviews can easily be manufactured.

Neomoritate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These are counterfeit. No question. If it's on eBay, then it's safe to assume it's only genuine Mopar if it's used. eBay Feedback is meaningless for auto parts, by the time you find out a part is bad, the time window to leave feedback, or file a complaint, is long closed.
Buy an aftermarket brand with the same or better warranty than Mopar for half the price. AM parts are frequently the same manufacturer as Mopar, same or better warranty indicates same specs and quality control.
Counterfeit "Mopar" parts are the cheapest parts they can source packed in the most expensive boxes.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These are counterfeit. No question. If it's on eBay, then it's safe to assume it's only genuine Mopar if it's used. eBay Feedback is meaningless for auto parts, by the time you find out a part is bad, the time window to leave feedback, or file a complaint, is long closed.
Buy an aftermarket brand with the same or better warranty than Mopar for half the price. AM parts are frequently the same manufacturer as Mopar, same or better warranty indicates same specs and quality control.
Counterfeit "Mopar" parts are the cheapest parts they can source packed in the most expensive boxes.
Sometimes when you buy something off of E-bay, the manufacturer of the item you purchase will not warranty the item. Most manufactures only warranty their item when it is sold through their distribution network. You are taking a chance not only on a counterfeit item, but also any warranty. You are taking a chance on a very important part of your engine. I wouldn't want to do that job twice. Your time, your money, your choice.
I like to buy cheap too. But look at tires....I like to get a good tire at the cheapest price, NOT the cheapest tire that will fit!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No, definitely not true. I've bought genuine Ford parts from an ebay seller that is actually a dealership. I'm not saying that's the case with these parts or this seller. Just that you can't automatically determine no new genuine parts are sold on ebay just because it's ebay. Definitely be cautious, but there are good bargains on ebay for sure.

OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They arrived today. If anyone can point out anything suspicious or could provide pics of known authentic mopar lifters to compare, that would be greatly appreciated, otherwise these will be going in some time this week. In particular that tiny black line at the bottom of the sticker actually says “chryslerdodgefiatprofessionaljeeplanciaramsrtabarthalfaromeo” and repeats itself.

Btw, there are at least a dozen different sellers selling them on eBay for close to this price. Not that that proves anything just something to keep in mind.

IMG_0223.jpegIMG_0224.jpegIMG_0222.jpeg

OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have noticed several different variations of boxes, for example this listing shows flatter boxes with dodge Ram srt and so on printing onto the boxes:

That listing also looks very fishy though, the price is extremely low and one of the pictures shows the lifters upside down in the yokes, lol.

I’ve also seen boxes like I have, just with the sticker placed on the side of the box instead of the end. The boxes I have are identical to what I’ve seen others get directly from the dealer so that’s a good sign.

OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out of curiosity, are there any decent aftermarket lifter brands out there? I kind of assumed everything non oem is garbage. It’s a flip so I’m not worried about it lasting forever but I’m not about to put known garbage in it either.