Cabin Pressure Relief Vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I just ordered new vents. I have never taken the rear seats out. Is that a complicated process or is it simple? i would appreciate it if someone could walk me through it real quick.

Thank You!

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Easy peasy, especially on a quad cab. 4 bolts and lift up, one more bolt for the middle seatbelt and you can pull it out of the truck. 1/2” impact will make it much faster breaking the bolts lose

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you are replacing the vents why?..I blocked mine off totally with 2nd Skin Mega Zorb & mass load vinyl coupled with sound deadener on 5/8 plywood with 1/2 foam backed vinyl as a back seat wall for my dog area..works great no leaks no dust no noise!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
But when one or both cab vents seal around the edges start allowing water in, you have two choices move the rear seat out of the way, then do the same with the insulation.
At that point, you can take water & run it between the bed & the rear of the cab, find out where the water intrusion is.
Then you can replace the vent(s) or at least take a Paint Stick & wedge the stick between the cab & the top of the vent Tabs, that pulls the top of the vent tight against sheet metal

1706941373799.png

1706941436004.png
Not much thought was put into placement of the RF Hub, that is exposed to water that enters through the cab vent

1706942052716.png

1706942118794.png

1706942213187.png

Last edited:

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe the primary purpose of those vents is for pressure relief when closing doors (have seen windows blow out of pressurized truck cabs when door(s) was/were closed hard) and when the ventilation (AC or heat) takes in outside air, cab needs excess air to be relieved.

But, hey, that's just me

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered new vents. I have never taken the rear seats out. Is that a complicated process or is it simple? i would appreciate it if someone could walk me through it real quick.

Thank You!
I did it last week. It’s a total of like 8-10 screws. Not difficult at all. For ME it was getting the new filter into the hole that was a real pain. I also put sealant around the filter to make sure I don’t have any leaking for the next 15 yrs

OP
OP
Davidloveshishemi

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I did it last week. It’s a total of like 8-10 screws. Not difficult at all. For ME it was getting the new filter into the hole that was a real pain. I also put sealant around the filter to make sure I don’t have any leaking for the next 15 yrs
Do you have the bench seat in the back? And I was thinking sealant around the inside of the vents to keep it from happening again. How did you remove the piece that covers the vents? Looks like there are some plastic grommets holding it on. Did they come off easy? Should I get a few replacements in case?

Thank you for your help!

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great idea on paint stick...I always have a small 1/2 window down in the front in case of a key thing..just a long time habit so no worries about pressure window blowout..good point however....also the silicone around the edges of the new vents..another thought on the RF hub is my sound deadener MLV and or the Mega Zorb while you have the back rest off...added water repellant/protection.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have the bench seat in the back? And I was thinking sealant around the inside of the vents to keep it from happening again. How did you remove the piece that covers the vents? Looks like there are some plastic grommets holding it on. Did they come off easy? Should I get a few replacements in case?

Thank you for your help!
I have double seats. The driver side is a single seat whereas the other is a double seat. They both go up tho. And the vents are held in by clips. You have to push them up with your finger. They clip right off.

Fishhaggis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. No more water getting in. I followed YouTube videos and removed the back seats. Tying a string to the new vents really helped seat them in and also made sure I didn’t lose them when I popped them through the openings. Fairly easy job if you are able to get the seat bolts out, as they are torqued right in there and some bolts are hard to reach. The new replacement vents were a lot different from the original ones, as the new ones look like they should handle the job better.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Pressure release ANYTIME. They make a/c and Heating work " much more better". How to test! put a straw in your mouth and blow. then put your finger over the end. Without the vents air can not flow thru! In fact, when I was at dealers working that is how we looked for interior leaks. Tape up the vents (sealing them), turn the blower motor on high, Get out, and close the doors. Start spraying a soap & water mixture on the outside and look for bubbles. Pressure escaping (bubbles) is where water can get in!

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m getting a lot of water in the storage compartment under the driver side rear seat and I’m thinking it’s likely from the pressure vent since the 3rd brake light and gasket were previously replaced.

Where are you guys getting these new pressure vents. Dealer or aftermarket?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe the primary purpose of those vents is for pressure relief when closing doors (have seen windows blow out of pressurized truck cabs when door(s) was/were closed hard) and when the ventilation (AC or heat) takes in outside air, cab needs excess air to be relieved.

But, hey, that's just me
The other reason is to prevent moisture build-up in the cab and interior side of body panels to prevent odor and premature rusting.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 105545 miles.

G Allen

Reaction score
Ram Year
So you are replacing the vents why?..I blocked mine off totally with 2nd Skin Mega Zorb & mass load vinyl coupled with sound deadener on 5/8 plywood with 1/2 foam backed vinyl as a back seat wall for my dog area..works great no leaks no dust no noise!
I've read about rear window blowing out when multiple doors close at the same time.
Just sayin'

G Allen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Mopar Dot Com is where I got mine.

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m getting a lot of water in the storage compartment under the driver side rear seat and I’m thinking it’s likely from the pressure vent since the 3rd brake light and gasket were previously replaced.

This thread may help:

Also, you may want to take a look at the drains in your sliding window track. They should drain outside. If plugged they will back up inside and into the storage trays under the seat.

Another trick for anyone chasing these leaks. If you have your back seat out, tape the vents over from the inside with masking tape so they don't vent. Close up the truck with the blower on high (and not on recirc). Soap up the outside with soapy water where you want to check for leaks. It will blow bubbles where any are. This way, you can verify if the 3rd brake light is leaking. You'll likely see some bubbles around the sliding window. That's not an issue unless the track drains are plugged. This might work also without taping off the vents depending on how much pressure they allow the blower to build up inside.

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info guys.

OP
OP
Davidloveshishemi

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score