CAI questions and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squadco343

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
If a CAI is the only thing you will be doing to your truck for awhile just skip it. It is 100% for looks and provides absolutely nothing to your hp/tq. The 71-1561 will just suck in hot air from the engine bay.

stick to your stock airbox. It is actually a true CAI and a lot more functional and plenty fine more people realize.
I agree, stick with the oem. I install the oem cai and sports hood. works just find as it was design for.

Chris Hoffman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I love the Legmaker intake on mine! Gained 1mpg and little better throttle response. For the guys that say that a open style intake is a "hot air" intake...underhood heat has negligible effects on intake temp. When traveling down the road there is enough air moving/flowing through the grill and engine bay for the underhood heat to have much effect on intake temp. However, when sitting still in traffic...it will have slightly higher intake temp than a closed box. Besides that, both intake systems will have the same intake temp at highway speeds. I've tested both styles years ago and I know others have tested them also with the same results. Even tho the intake tube on an open style system can get hear soaked after a while...the thing can happen with the tube and box from a closed box system. So honestly...it's just a matter of preference/looks and filter quality. One thing I like about the legmaker is that it uses a large 9" S&B filter. IMO...I believe the legmaker is the best open style intake system there is. Closed box, I believe the S&B is best and ram air style, Vararam has that.

IMG_20200516_195120950.jpg

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something that is not often mentioned is the heat soak on a stock box takes 5+ minutes of driving 60+ mph in order to bring your temps back down to normal.

Carbon fiber like the legmaker will dissipate that heat in seconds. K&N still use thick plastic which I believe will have the same effect as the stock box.

Would like to see some logs of the vararam regarding heat soak and recovery, always heard good things about vararam.

Joe Pitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did some temperature testing on my 2019 Ram Classic. I mounted temperature sensors in the airbox, engine bay and outside the truck mounted to the grill. Ran a variety of tests when the truck was cold and at operating temperature. On the 2019 Ram Classic there is a an intake vent to the airbox that mounts to the fender well area.

When the truck was cold I only saw a few degrees difference in the airbox. At operating temperatures The air box temp at most times was almost as hot as the engine bay temps. At speeds above 50 there was at times only 4 degrees cooler temps in the airbox. But at not time did the airbox temps come close to the ambient outside temperature.

In order to get 1% performance gain you need at least an 11 degree F lower temperature. Most aftermarket CAI have the pickup, S & B and K & N inside the engine bay.

If you want cold air, you are going to need an intercooler. Just my 2 cents of testing.

Cheers
Joe

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Something that is not often mentioned is the heat soak on a stock box takes 5+ minutes of driving 60+ mph in order to bring your temps back down to normal.

Carbon fiber like the legmaker will dissipate that heat in seconds. K&N still use thick plastic which I believe will have the same effect as the stock box.

Would like to see some logs of the vararam regarding heat soak and recovery, always heard good things about vararam.
My experience with the Vararam is that it heat soaked much quicker than the factory airbox when idling or in stop and go traffic. But it also cooled off quicker than the factory airbox once you got moving again.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My experience with the Vararam is that it heat soaked much quicker than the factory airbox when idling or in stop and go traffic. But it also cooled off quicker than the factory airbox once you got moving again.
Same thing with some of the better intakes on the challengers. When at idle it will heat soak much faster but dissipate that heat in seconds instead of minutes like the stock box. Curious as to exactly how fast it can recover from full heat soak... Might have to do some testing myself.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I just did some temperature testing on my 2019 Ram Classic. I mounted temperature sensors in the airbox, engine bay and outside the truck mounted to the grill. Ran a variety of tests when the truck was cold and at operating temperature. On the 2019 Ram Classic there is a an intake vent to the airbox that mounts to the fender well area.

When the truck was cold I only saw a few degrees difference in the airbox. At operating temperatures The air box temp at most times was almost as hot as the engine bay temps. At speeds above 50 there was at times only 4 degrees cooler temps in the airbox. But at not time did the airbox temps come close to the ambient outside temperature.

In order to get 1% performance gain you need at least an 11 degree F lower temperature. Most aftermarket CAI have the pickup, S & B and K & N inside the engine bay.

If you want cold air, you are going to need an intercooler. Just my 2 cents of testing.

Cheers
Joe

Your truck gets air from 2 places ,that fender tube attachment picks up air from the area around the headlight,but it also gets air from the high pressure area in front of the tire.If you look close at the plastic panel that scoop attachment ties to on the fender,you'll see it also feeds down towards the front tire and is open at the bottom.Personally i think that's were it also picks up the most dust. I run a 3" ducted scoop from the lower valence on my Sport feeding my modded airbox,and i found the majority of dust picked up by the air filter seems to come from the factories bottom scoop.As an experiment i stuffed the bottom scoop opening full of foam,and noticed my airbox stays alot cleaner now,that was 2 years ago,and the piece of foam is still in place,lol

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your truck gets air from 2 places ,that fender tube attachment picks up air from the area around the headlight,but it also gets air from the high pressure area in front of the tire.If you look close at the plastic panel that scoop attachment ties to on the fender,you'll see it also feeds down towards the front tire and is open at the bottom.Personally i think that's were it also picks up the most dust. I run a 3" ducted scoop from the lower valence on my Sport feeding my modded airbox,and i found the majority of dust picked up by the air filter seems to come from the factories bottom scoop.As an experiment i stuffed the bottom scoop opening full of foam,and noticed my airbox stays alot cleaner now,that was 2 years ago,and the piece of foam is still in place,lol

I've thought about scooping my added tube that Im using off the oem box but couldnt come up with a solution,(other than I thought of a vacuum end would be shaped right but tubing too small).
What did you use for your tube scoop??

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've thought about scooping my added tube that Im using off the oem box but couldnt come up with a solution,(other than I thought of a vacuum end would be shaped right but tubing too small).
What did you use for your tube scoop??

I had some old gardening pieces laying around that worked out for me, I don't even remember where i got them from they'd been kicking around that long,lol. I know guys have found brake scoops that do work to,but i'm cheap and would rather use what i have on hand that i can make work. I priced out the plastic valence piece at the dealer beforehand,and when it was only 28 bucks Canuck,i bought a spare one,and had no problem cutting a hole in the lower valence. That was a few years back,i don't know what the plastic insert is worth now,but i don't imagine it's gone up that much. But i'd start searching for a brake scoop that you could mount in behind the grill ,as that's where i've seen a few guys run an extra feed to their airboxes from.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ramm5.7 here is an article I ran across on how to build your own CAI, As @Wild one was indicating this is exactly how he is routing his CAI down in the wheel well, near the front tire.

https://nasaspeed.news/toolshed-engineer/build-your-own-cold-air-intake/

Actually that's more like a track oriented intake,then what i did.I added a cold air duct to the airbox ,that picks up a slight ram air effect as it's located in the front lower valence. Matt at Moes (a vendor on here) sells an actual pre-made track intake set-up if that's what you do want though.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
@Wild one, If you have some time, include some pics, would love to see how you modded the airbox.

I can't get pics on here Joe. If you do a search on here,there's a write up on modding the airbox for a ram air tube,i forget who did the write-up,but he had a list of the parts used to add an extra inlet tube along with pic's

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Wild one, If you have some time, include some pics, would love to see how you modded the airbox.

I dont know how he did his but here is mine I made in Jan 18. I have it on my classic for now while painting vararam cover.
Creative home depot plumbing section shopping for adapters
The tube is straight down behind bumper, hense the question on ram air scoop

Screenshot_20200627-201323_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200627-201048_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200627-201207_Photos.jpg