Cam work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jblnts427_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay so basically I understand this may be a stupid question ,maybe not. if I were to buy a complete cam kit would that be something i could trust most auto shops to do ? Or should I be better off actually looking for a “performance” shop. Thanks in advance .

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Got nothing for you on the shop question,as i'm way across the other side of Canada,but i will tell you to suck it up and buy OEM lifters. The only decent aftermarket lifters are the high priced Johnsons with the axle oiling,but they also need at least a hellcat oil pump to live

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Ask for a quote in writing and if there is no mention of replacing the timing chain … look elsewhere.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ask for a quote in writing and if there is no mention of replacing the timing chain … look elsewhere.
Alot of shops have taken to "estimating" a job instead of "quoting" a job.There's getting to be to many variables on new vehicles for shops to quote a job anymore,especially on something like a "performance cam" replacement,which i'm guessing the OP wants otherwise he wouldn't be asking about a "performance" shop

OP
OP
J

Jblnts427_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alot of shops have taken to "estimating" a job instead of "quoting" a job.There's getting to be to many variables on new vehicles for shops to quote a job anymore,especially on something like a "performance cam" replacement,which i'm guessing the OP wants otherwise he wouldn't be asking about a "performance" shop
Yeah basically I’ll probably be ordering a HPT cam from moes performance and all the supporting parts for it within the next couple weeks. I just wanted to know if taking it to install to a reputable mechanic would be a good idea or should I look for an actual “performance” shop that I guess would build cars to be faster the regular.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah basically I’ll probably be ordering a HPT cam from moes performance and all the supporting parts for it within the next couple weeks. I just wanted to know if taking it to install to a reputable mechanic would be a good idea or should I look for an actual “performance” shop that I guess would build cars to be faster the regular.
Ask Matt / Moes if he's got anybody in your area that he'd reconmend.You could also ask on High Performance Rams and Tuned Rams on facebook about shops in your area

OP
OP
J

Jblnts427_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the help. I live within 20 minutes of high horse performance u know they specialize in gen 3 hemis, I did ask Matt about them he said he works with them on occasion so they might not have a problem doing it with all the right parts. I messaged HHP for a quote and I guess I received what seemed like an automated response that said they don’t do “wrench” work on the ram platform. I’ll ask around though on those Facebook group thanks a lot for the help

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
That great maybe you can Mediate the work for him also.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
It depends. If the shop has a good reputation and maybe can show you some of the big repairs they've got going on (to prove they aren't just a bunch of lube and brake jockeys), I might. Or if someone you know can recommend a shop. There's one in the next town over from me that my dad trusts from him having to use the guy for repairs for company vehicles (me and him don't trust ANYBODY, we do 99.9% of wrenching ourselves) and that guy is a real car guy, has built several engines/vehicles over the years. Somebody like that, I would trust.

If you don't have that/can't find it, I'd try to seek out a performance shop that specializes in Mopars. They may try to turn you down for just a regular cam/lifter job but if you upgrade to, say a Texas Speed stage 1 or the new Chopocobra cam, they may agree to take it in. Also, @Wild one is correct, there have been TONS of lifter failures the last few years. They're expensive but I would lay out the extra cash for the Johnson's for piece of mind.

OP
OP
J

Jblnts427_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah thank you. I was planning on going with the hpt cam from moes performance and I had seen almost all aftermarket lifters weren’t good quality but I never had heard about the Johnson ones. I’ll note those down and check them out although I did have the oem hellcat lifters in mind any pros and cons of those two compared together ? And me as well I’m not very mechanically inclined but i do know I wouldn’t just let anybody work on my car I have read about alot of bad jobs done on people’s cars and I wouldn’t want to be another on the list.

OP
OP
J

Jblnts427_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It depends. If the shop has a good reputation and maybe can show you some of the big repairs they've got going on (to prove they aren't just a bunch of lube and brake jockeys), I might. Or if someone you know can recommend a shop. There's one in the next town over from me that my dad trusts from him having to use the guy for repairs for company vehicles (me and him don't trust ANYBODY, we do 99.9% of wrenching ourselves) and that guy is a real car guy, has built several engines/vehicles over the years. Somebody like that, I would trust.

If you don't have that/can't find it, I'd try to seek out a performance shop that specializes in Mopars. They may try to turn you down for just a regular cam/lifter job but if you upgrade to, say a Texas Speed stage 1 or the new Chopocobra cam, they may agree to take it in. Also, @Wild one is correct, there have been TONS of lifter failures the last few years. They're expensive but I would lay out the extra cash for the Johnson's for piece of mind.
Yeah thank you. I was planning on going with the hpt cam from moes performance and I had seen almost all aftermarket lifters weren’t good quality but I never had heard about the Johnson ones. I’ll note those down and check them out although I did have the oem hellcat lifters in mind any pros and cons of those two compared together ? And me as well I’m not very mechanically inclined but i do know I wouldn’t just let anybody work on my car I have read about alot of bad jobs done on people’s cars and I wouldn’t want to be another on the list.

OP
OP
J

Jblnts427_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ask Matt / Moes if he's got anybody in your area that he'd reconmend.You could also ask on High Performance Rams and Tuned Rams on facebook about shops in your area
Thanks for the help. I live within 20 minutes of high horse performance u know they specialize in gen 3 hemis, I did ask Matt about them he said he works with them on occasion so they might not have a problem doing it with all the right parts. I messaged HHP for a quote and I guess I received what seemed like an automated response that said they don’t do “wrench” work on the ram platform. I’ll ask around though on those Facebook group thanks a lot for the help

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I don't have any experience building a Hemi yet so I can't comment on Hellcat lifters. But in the LS world, OE GM LS7 lifters have been failing left and right. Johnson and also Morel are who we use now when ordering lifters.

Also, talking about HHP. Since you're that close, stop by and talk to them. That automated response may just be because they've had a bunch of the "yee yee" crowd that want a too big for a stock engine cam put in, straight pipes and mud tires put on. They may well take in a Ram if they have a reasonable customer to deal with. Maybe not, but worth a conversation IMO

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Alot of shops won't work on a vehicle these days,if the customers bring in their own parts,you might be better off buying your parts through the shop you get to do the job. As stated if you're that close to HHP,stop by and talk to them.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
In your case i'd stick with the OEM lifters,i think that's what Matt sends out with his HPT kit already.The Johnsons are good lifters but you need alot more oil volumn to keep them happy.

Daniel from Texas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't take it to anywhere that doesn't do cams on ram engines regularly. It isn't hard and can be done with a friend in 8 hours. But as I've told others, if you pull the heads, have them cleaned and machined. They can check the whole head and tell you if something is bad or going. And mark the heads, Drivers side and Passenger side. Simple D or P works. If you don't know, they are the same.