Camshaft rod bearing Bolt Broke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arbor-D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L
View media item 30903I have an 05, Ram 1500 V6 3.7l engine.
I bought the owner’s manual; and found nothing mentioned of replacing the camshaft bearing cap bolts.
I’ve re-torqued it once, and had to take off and do again. All of them were feeling sloppy, and one broke.
Now I’m going to replace all of them and not chance it again.

Any ideas how to drill out the broken bolt, and rethread it...?

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you get it out with an easy out, clean the threads with a tap multiple times, I think you should be good to go. Watch your torque.Unless you think you stripped the threads. Then you have to look at the helicore route.

OP
OP
A

Arbor-D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L
I was thinking of using a screw extractor. I found a extractor size that’s almost half the size of my bolt: to ensure it has plenty to grip. It’s the Screw Out brand, with 5 bits. I was planning to try it in about 10 hours.

OP
OP
A

Arbor-D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L
The extractor failed. The bolt material is stronger than this “titanium” coated bit... it just won’t grip into it; and is now breaking down the threads on it. Piece of junk

OP
OP
A

Arbor-D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L
Never mind! I got it! The 10mm hex bolts required a “#2” bit, for 1-4”/6mm they say.
Their double-bits aren’t super tough — but the proper fit makes it work.
I rented a threading kit to clean them out; spayed WD-40; and blew it out with an air tool. It threaded flawlessly.
image.jpg

Last edited: