Can someone double check my wheel math?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If my stock wheels are 17x8 with +43mm offset and I'm looking at a wheel that is 18x9 with+12mm offset, I calculate that the inside edge of the rim would move outbound ~3/4 of an inch and the outside edge would move outbound ~1 3/4 of an inch as compared to stock.

Does that sound right?

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Thanks! The site doesn't account for increased width, but if I add 1/2 inch to both sides, I do get agreement with my calculations.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It may not be exactly 1/2 & 1/2 as you still need to account for the offset. A 0 offset puts the hub dead center in the wheel width measurement. If it is a positive or negative offset then some change to the numbers needs to me estimated. It's not a huge amount of movement but it's a good thing to know.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Right. I took that into account. The calculator on the site didn't include a width change. It was more for tires than wheels.

It was close enough to what I calculated on paper to call it confirmed.

One wheel site had a "visualizer" where you could pull up your truck, even choose a color and then select the rim to see what it would look like. There is no way its accurate. A 12mm offset would stick out much further than what they show. Too bad too since I really like the pattern.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If my stock wheels are 17x8 with +43mm offset and I'm looking at a wheel that is 18x9 with+12mm offset, I calculate that the inside edge of the rim would move outbound ~3/4 of an inch and the outside edge would move outbound ~1 3/4 of an inch as compared to stock.

Does that sound right?
my math confirms yours ... inside edge of wheel will be 18.3mm (~3/4") further outward and outside of wheel will be 43.7mm further outward (~1.75") compared to stock.

check out customoffsets.com's gallery you can put in your wheel specs and they have pics of people with similar stances.
James

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yeah I was there. Thanks :)
Thats what was messing with me. Those pictures were much wider than stock, while the "visualizer" showed a very reasonable factory like stance.

1 and 3/4 inches is just too wide for me. I barley squeeze into my driveway as it is. Unless.....

Nope. I'd have to add flairs. I could probably handle 1 inch further out by going with a more vertical sidewall. The stock tires are kind of donut shaped.

Last edited: