Can these marks on the 8.4 screen be polished out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not sure how this happened, but it was clearly while installing the Kicker amp, and running the t-harness. It's only visible in certain light and the pic looks worse than it does in person, it looks more like the spot circled in red. Is that some coating scratched, because I don't feel anything. Again I can only see it in certain light, but I don't like it. Glass cleaner did nothing to help it.

1019201741_HDR.jpg

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm not sure how this happened, but it was clearly while installing the Kicker amp, and running the t-harness. It's only visible in certain light and the pic looks worse than it does in person, it looks more like the spot circled in red. Is that some coating scratched, because I don't feel anything. Again I can only see it in certain light, but I don't like it. Glass cleaner did nothing to help it.

1019201741_HDR.jpg
No but a screen protector might hide it. I recommend this one, it's pricey but worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DVSYTTK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bkKJFbKCATRHQ

It goes on best with the radio HVAC bezel removed...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
89grand

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'll look into that. To be honest it is only visible when the screen is off, and at certain lighting. I can't see it at all when the screen is on, but if bugs me for some reason.
It'll get worse. The factory screen protectors are very fragile .

OP
OP
89grand

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It'll get worse. The factory screen protectors are very fragile .

I'm going to buy a new screen. They don't seem too hard to replace. I was trying to be careful with it, so I'm not sure what scratched the coating, but it it happened.

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bummer dood. I was going to suggest maybe trying plexus polish. Screen change will certainly do the trick. I feel you on things nagging at ya no matter how small and inconsequential, it's a disease...

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
And I thought I was being a bit paranoid when I bought a screen protector for my radio screen. I ordered the screen protector the first night I had the truck home. I thought "**it happens"

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm going to buy a new screen. They don't seem too hard to replace. I was trying to be careful with it, so I'm not sure what scratched the coating, but it it happened.
Put the protector on when you get the new screen. They all have this problem. What year is your truck and is the radio factory installed?

OP
OP
89grand

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The truck is a 2019. I've only had it 10 months. It's my fault. It happened while I had it unmounted trying to remove the factory and plugs and install the t-harness. I didn't notice it at the time, but it wasn't like this before, so I had to have done it. If the truck was older, I might live with it, but for a few hundred I can get a new screen. If I don't, it'll bug my every time the light hits it and I see it.

Most of the time you can't see it, but sometimes you can.

I'll definitely put something on the new screen just so it doesn't wear over time. I may try polishing the original screen and just removing the antiglare or whatever is on there that made these marks. If feels completely smooth, so it's not the screen itself that is scratched, but wear in the coating on top. I'll try that after I get a new screen in case I F it up. If it works, I'll keep it as a backup.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I have mine messed up too. One day recently I was wiping my hands with a sanitizing wipe, and thought it would work good to clean off finger smudges.
Wrong! Well, it did do that, but also degraded the coating. Now at certain lighting, it looks cloudy.
I wasn’t aware of the coating when I wiped it, as before I only ever used a damp microfiber cloth.
Even before, I was showing spots where my fingers usually touch it on the lower part.
I looked into a new screen, watched a U-Tube video. If you can get one, they are pretty pricey.
Does anyone know if you can replace just the out screen? Video I watched involved pulling the radio and disassembling from the back side.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The truck is a 2019. I've only had it 10 months. It's my fault. It happened while I had it unmounted trying to remove the factory and plugs and install the t-harness. I didn't notice it at the time, but it wasn't like this before, so I had to have done it. If the truck was older, I might live with it, but for a few hundred I can get a new screen. If I don't, it'll bug my every time the light hits it and I see it.

Most of the time you can't see it, but sometimes you can.

I'll definitely put something on the new screen just so it doesn't wear over time. I may try polishing the original screen and just removing the antiglare or whatever is on there that made these marks. If feels completely smooth, so it's not the screen itself that is scratched, but wear in the coating on top. I'll try that after I get a new screen in case I F it up. If it works, I'll keep it as a backup.

It's not your fault, it's a very common problem for 2018+ 8.4 radios. All 4 that passed through my hands had this and the pristine screen I kept did this after a few months of light use. The screen protector I mentioned should cover it and make it unnoticeable. A new screen is not necessary IMO.

If you decide to go and get a new screen anyway the part number you need is LA084X01-SL01 or LA084X01-SL02 (both are compatible).

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

1019201741_HDR.jpg
I have mine messed up too. One day recently I was wiping my hands with a sanitizing wipe, and thought it would work good to clean off finger smudges.
Wrong! Well, it did do that, but also degraded the coating. Now at certain lighting, it looks cloudy.
I wasn’t aware of the coating when I wiped it, as before I only ever used a damp microfiber cloth.
Even before, I was showing spots where my fingers usually touch it on the lower part.
I looked into a new screen, watched a U-Tube video. If you can get one, they are pretty pricey.
Does anyone know if you can replace just the out screen? Video I watched involved pulling the radio and disassembling from the back side.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

OP
OP
89grand

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's not your fault, it's a very common problem for 2018+ 8.4 radios. All 4 that passed through my hands had this and the pristine screen I kept did this after a few months of light use. The screen protector I mentioned should cover it and make it unnoticeable. A new screen is not necessary IMO.

If you decide to go and get a new screen anyway the part number you need is LA084X01-SL01 or LA084X01-SL02 (both are compatible).

I saw an older thread where you pealed that layer off. Do you think that's a decent option in my case?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I saw an older thread where you pealed that layer off. Do you think that's a decent option in my case?
No, mine was pealing up and had ghost touches. I also would caution against opening the radio without need as it is passively cooled and the heat sinks inside are thermal tape which some say should be replaced and not re-used.

The screen protector is a two pack. If you don't like the result you could always proceed with a new screen, but I believe it may be harder to find them under $200 now.

OP
OP
89grand

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No, mine was pealing up and had ghost touches. I also would caution against opening the radio without need as it is passively cooled and the heat sinks inside are thermal tape which some say should be replaced and not re-used.

The screen protector is a two pack. If you don't like the result you could always proceed with a new screen, but I believe it may be harder to find them under $200 now.

I can find them around $275 give or take a little depending on ebay seller. I'd probably replace the screen rather than removing the antiglare layer. I noticed at some point you bought a screen from ebay. How has it held up as far as function or did you have have any issues with it. They look like OEM, but you never know from China if they are ****** knockoffs with the correct looking stickers on them.

I'll try a screen protector first. That's a lot cheaper.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I can find them around $275 give or take a little depending on ebay seller. I'd probably replace the screen rather than removing the antiglare layer. I noticed at some point you bought a screen from ebay. How has it held up as far as function or did you have have any issues with it. They look like OEM, but you never know from China if they are ****** knockoffs with the correct looking stickers on them.

I'll try a screen protector first. That's a lot cheaper.
It was a genuine LG LCD panel and I believe I paid $175 shipped. I actually returned that radio to the seller and sold the replacement screen but it was identical to the original except for the part revision number.

My new radio had a perfect screen, but looked like yours (and everyone else's) after only a few months. This is what it looks like with the aforementioned protector over the blemishes. The marks on the left side are as bad as fingerprints get on this protector. It's weird but it's almost like using it cleans it if that makes sense?c25eae6fe531d82de0a26419c644027d.jpg

OP
OP
89grand

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You know, you said this wasn't mishandling on my part, and I assumed it was, but now I don't really think so. I went to adjust the front to back fader and two of those marks in my screen are exactly where those controls are at, and I mean exactly where there are. I bet this was just getting worse over time and now I noticed it, or had assumed they were finger print smudges.

It's not like I adjust the fader all the time, but the chances of two of those marks being exactly where they are is pretty near impossible.

I don't know how they can deny a claim simply because I have aftermarket stereo equipment installed as it is unrelated. My truck is 10 months old with 8k miles on it.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You know, you said this wasn't mishandling on my part, and I assumed it was, but now I don't really think so. I went to adjust the front to back fader and two of those marks in my screen are exactly where those controls are at, and I mean exactly where there are. I bet this was just getting worse over time and now I noticed it, or had assumed they were finger print smudges.

It's not like I adjust the fader all the time, but the chances of two of those marks being exactly where they are is pretty near impossible.

I don't know how they can deny a claim simply because I have aftermarket stereo equipment installed as it is unrelated. My truck is 10 months old with 8k miles on it.
They've been swapping whole radios for factory screen protectors coming off...I suppose you could ask your dealership? As far as I know, there have been no changes to the screen protector material itself.

The factory protector looks and feels great but is not durable past 6 months IMO which sucks for something "permanently" attached.

OP
OP
89grand

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They've been swapping whole radios for factory screen protectors coming off...I suppose you could ask your dealership? As far as I know, there have been no changes to the screen protector material itself.

The factory protector looks and feels great but is not durable past 6 months IMO which sucks for something "permanently" attached.

I want to thank you for all of your replies. Otherwise I probably would have assumed it was my fault, and fixed it out of pocket. I can tell too, that there is a longer more faint mark from scrolling though my music list. It's definitely a faulty screen, and didn't just happen while installing the t-harness like I originally assumed.

I might understand this after 5 years or more, even then I wouldn't like it, but 8k miles, no kids and no one drives it but me? This is clearly a ****** coating on these. I should ask my bother if his 2016 has any issues with this.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I would try a claim, added amp n speakers or not!
Bought my classic Dec 28th, ordered this cover on the 1st. And its under 10 bucks!
Had the same one on my 17 and to me its a no brainer to protect the screen, same with my cell phone!
Screenshot_20201020-201402_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf